• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
More weather-related disruption today.

Flooding between Birmingham and Redditch, Lancaster and Carlisle, Newcastle and Carlisle, and East Coast have just tweeted that there's flooding/landslide between Berwick and Newcastle, blocking both lines.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And now Newcastle station itself is closed due to flooding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

musicking1306

Just slightly wet up there then! lovely 24 degrees in Bristol at the moment. Lets see how good network rail are at clearing up flooding.

cuccir

Established Member
West Jesmond Metro.jpg

It is unlikely that many people will be using West Jesmond metro station.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Delays on Snow Hill Lines due to flooding in the Old Hill tunnel. why CRA doesn't have a turnback to help with things like this as then they could have had just buses between ROW & CRA then split the service instead of relying on NXWM.

Searle

Established Member
not surprised there's flooding in Birmingham, was driving through there when it was raining, all you could see were the lights of the car in front of you! Couldn't even see the road markings. Hopefully all will be sorted for travel to Scotland tomorrow, with both the ECML and the WCML being blocked :P

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Well the 1720 BHM GLC should hopefully make it all the way. 221101 & 221143 have run via the Settle and Carlisle.

The 1840 Glc Eus is avoiding Oxn and Lan, and is very late. Possibly also diverted, unless it terminates at Carlisle?

tsr

Established Member
All I can say is that the storms would have been very much worse due to atmospheric conditions if they had happened in the south-east, so it's very fortunate that we still have our heads above water - literally! I do feel sorry for those trying to travel further north in the UK tonight, though.

Jonny

Established Member
More weather-related disruption today.

And now Newcastle station itself is closed due to flooding.

I would have thought that the train station proper (not the metro platforms in a tunnel below) wouldn't be prone to flooding - all approaches are on viaducts so are raised up. Maybe the flooding isn't there.

Darandio

Established Member
There are pictures of Newcastle that I saw earlier showing the barriers which are semi submerged. Having been there many times, like you, I am not sure how. Although I only took a quick glance, so it could have been the Metro barriers. However, I think that would be enough to close the station, you are talking thousands of people trying to get in and out of the Metro at that time, many of them through the station itself.

Cannot find the bloody pictures now.

Darandio

Established Member
Thanks fella, did I actually see that picture earlier in this thread? The only place I didnt look. :D

marks87

Established Member
The Highland sleepers are cancelled in both directions due to the flooding between Carlisle and Lancaster (and the up Fort William portion is also affected by a derailed freight train near Tulloch).

Not sure how the Lowland is running, since the ECML is also blocked between Berwick and Newcastle. Is the stock cleared for dragging along the Cumbrian Coast?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not sure how the Lowland is running, since the ECML is also blocked between Berwick and Newcastle. Is the stock cleared for dragging along the Cumbrian Coast?

The Lowland doesn't use the ECML. I would have thought that they could possibly use the S&C to get around the problems at Tebay?

LE Greys

Established Member
I'm now rather concerned as I'm returning to Aberdeen on Saturday as to whether I'll get through or not. I'm heading down to Stevenage station tomorrow to ask, but does anyone have any advice. My ticket's an Advance, otherwise I'd just ask them to change the date and chance it (I have to get there by Wednesday for a friend's graduation).

marks87

Established Member
The Lowland doesn't use the ECML. I would have thought that they could possibly use the S&C to get around the problems at Tebay?
I know it doesn't normally use the ECML, but it's one of several diversionary routes when the WCML is blocked.

apestyler

To add to issues the northbound Virgin Service 1S85 has one of its carriages on fire, somewhere North of Lockerbie

Update: Fire service in attendance, evacuating passengers to rear set and setting back (not sure to where!)

Ibex

To add to issues the northbound Virgin Service 1S85 has one of its carriages on fire, somewhere North of Lockerbie

Update: Fire service in attendance, evacuating passengers to rear set and setting back (not sure to where!)

I'd imagine it's probably just setting back out of the way of the unit on fire incase it gets any worse?

The location is Whamphrey which is between Beattock Summit and Carstairs. Latest update is that the affected unit is now fully evacuated. Currently 154 down.

Last edited:

michael769

Established Member
(and the up Fort William portion is also affected by a derailed freight train near Tulloch).

Train was derailed by a landslip - driver was treated for shock but is otherwise unharmed. Due to the location recovery is going to be very difficult and it is not clear how long the line will be blockaded.

apestyler

I'd imagine it's probably just setting back out of the way of the unit on fire incase it gets any worse?

The location is Whamphrey which is between Beattock Summit and Carstairs.

Thanks for the additional info, just spoke to my Mother who's onboard and apparently it's 2 x Voyagers in multiple and they'll be continuing to Glasgow with the front set empty? All passengers told to leave luggage and will be repatriated with it at Glasgow.

markydh

There was a hell of a lot of flooding throughout the North East this afternoon and evening. Neville Street was submerged for a time which is probably where the flood waters in Newcastle Central came from.

rail-britain

Established Member
The Highland sleepers are cancelled in both directions due to the flooding between Carlisle and Lancaster (and the up Fort William portion is also affected by a derailed freight train near Tulloch).

Not sure how the Lowland is running
The Highland Sleepers are "running", just not going anywhere
They are providing overnight accomodation at originating stations only (Euston, Fort William, Inverness, and Aberdeen)

So far, the Glasgow / Edinburgh sleepers are still showing as running
However, I would expect them to be heavily delayed
They could go via the S&C, to avoid Tebay

tsr

Established Member
Thanks for the additional info, just spoke to my Mother who's onboard and apparently it's 2 x Voyagers in multiple and they'll be continuing to Glasgow with the front set empty? All passengers told to leave luggage and will be repatriated with it at Glasgow.

If it's "only" one of the engines on fire, I think they may be able to do this, subject to satisfactory safety systems in operation. However, I would say the more sensible option would be to use only the rear set to continue, should this be safe from a passenger overcrowding perspective.

I understand replacement buses may be acquired in the next few minutes for some services, subject to the availability of said buses and also local road conditions.

rail-britain

Established Member
I couldn't believe this at first when I saw it on the Virgin Trains update, thought it might be a freight train
To then find out it was one of their own trains...
Equally, they seem to have been very quiet about this since

I couldn't believe this at first when I saw it on the Virgin Trains update, thought it might be a freight train
To then find out it was one of their own trains...
Equally, they seem to have been very quiet about this since

Just been on sky news! Informing about the fire and evacuation

causton

Established Member
The Highland Sleepers are "running", just not going anywhere
They are providing overnight accomodation at originating stations only (Euston, Fort William, Inverness, and Aberdeen)

So far, the Glasgow / Edinburgh sleepers are still showing as running
However, I would expect them to be heavily delayed
They could go via the S&C, to avoid Tebay

Interesting -- are they just saying "sorry there's no way you'll get out of here tonight, have a sleep and we'll see how it is in the morning?"

rail-britain

Established Member
Just been on sky news! Informing about the fire and evacuation
Virgin Trains reported it at 22:30
Interesting -- are they just saying "sorry there's no way you'll get out of here tonight, have a sleep and we'll see how it is in the morning?"
Seems to be
Worst affected will be the (southbound) Fort William, as there will be no rail alternative until at least Sunday now

Equally, Virgin Trains are putting passengers up in hotels near the stations where the northbound services have terminated; Lancaster and Preston
I believe there is also one southbound stranded but is slowly making its way back to Carlisle

Looks like FTPE managed to dodge the worst and suspended their services at Carlisle and Preston instead

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.