• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather related disruption, 19/09 (Storm Ali)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Yet another thread absolutely littered with headcodes. Is it really too much to ask that 1) people who genuinely do know and work with them post service details instead; and 2) those who don't, stop looking at Realtime Trains to pretend they're somehow "in the know". It's genuinely irritating.

Anyway, ScotRail class 170 (170 404) took a battering yesterday (their photos from Facebook):

42249303_2214396861917678_4654575437291192320_o.jpg

42114278_2214396881917676_3624888265372336128_o.jpg

Is this due to head to Northern? Maybe just send it down today :lol:

According to the ScotRail Twitter account, this was a northbound working at Blair Atholl. Looking at Real Time Trains (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G96463/2018/09/19/advanced) it would appear to be 1H11 10.36 Edinburgh-Inverness (shown as having terminated at Perth). Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Booked to travel on the 15:30 from Edinburgh to York, connecting with the 18:02 to Doncaster and the 18:42 to Stockport.

15:30 terminated at Newcastle so had to wait an hour, the 17:59 from Newcastle had no driver for a while and is a HST vice 91 so losing lots of time, and now 110% set to miss a second train back to Stockport.

If I have to wait an hour at Doncaster I won't be a happy bunny at all. At least I'll get my 40-something quid back and have my first class prawn sandwich to keep me company :D

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Now missed my second train to Stockport, been told to go back the way I came, this time to Leeds, train to Piccadilly then to Stockport. Will have probably missed my last bus home by then.

route101

Established Member
Currently on TPE up to Glasgow now. There are a lot of 350s displaced due to the disruption, so my service is currently a 185 so no seat reservations. Try to arrive earlier than normal to make sure you're the first on the train incase you get a 185 vice 350.

Will do , popped by Central at 1710 and that service was a 350

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I don't see a train "inches" from the tree in the photo...
But I appreciate the photo.

So you're asking for no headcodes?
What about people who want them?
Perhaps the answer really is to post both:
1D24 13:00 EBD - GLC

Of course, this creates another problem in that due to the long standing forum policy, abbreviations, acronyms, and three letter codes for stations are not to be used without first saying what they mean.

Something like for example: 1D24 13:00 Edinburgh Waverley (EDB) - Glasgow Queen Street (GLQ)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Landslide on the Treherbert line down in South Wales too. Same spot as last year from the sounds of it. Heard some staff say the train actually hit the landslide so hope all are OK. ATW really need to do better with customer information during disruption though, but I guess they have no reason to even try now!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Traction restricted to diesel only between darlington and Newcastle. Electrics could run bi-direcrional however due to the delay this would cause to up services this was not an option.

With the damaged catenery removed trains were able to run at linespeed. Staff are on site now repairing the OHLE with the remaining trains running Bi-Di and using platform 1 at Durham.

LNER ran one service per hour KGX-EDB using HSTs with additional stops at Durham and other ECML locations in lieu of the other Edinburgh/newcastle service. Keeping the MK4 to the south and deputising for HST diagrams as necessary to free up the HSTs. TPE and XC running their normal timetables once displaced crews and traction were finally back in place. Now the evening service is winding down there may well be some MK4 sets needed to be positioned for start of service so run them thunderbird hauled.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I can give a timeline from what I know and what I can see:
1300 - XC suspended between GLC and EDB (Glasgow - Edinburgh)
1V93 1300 GLC-RDG last to depart GLC.
1S35 0730 BHM-GLC first to terminate at EDB.
1330 - OLE issues reported between Fenham and Chathill
1S10 0930 KGX-EDB reported loss of line light at Little Mill LC (just north of Alnmouth).
1S39 0745 RDG-GLC held at NCL.
1340 - Tree falls on the line at Kenilworth
1O16 1127 MAN-BMH removes it.
1O18 1227 MAN-BMH diverts via Solihull.
1350 - Tree falls on train between Fenny Compton and Leamington Spa
1S49 1146 SOU-DEE delayed by 20 minutes due to a tree falling on the train; eventually terminates at LDS.
1400 - XC service suspension extended to Newcastle
1410 - Train strikes tree; brings down OLE
4N80 1126 Doncaster Down Decoy Gbrf to North Blyth Gbrf strikes a tree at Tursdale Junction, south of DHM; bringing down the OLE.
XC service suspension extended to York.
- Yet another strike!
1S09 0900 KGX-EDB strikes OLE at Grantshouse; declared a failure.
1S37 0601 GLD-EDB trapped "on block" with no route available to Newcastle.
1455 - XC implements a "reduced train plan" between BHM-SHF-YRK.
1630 - XC cancels all trains between YRK-NCL for the rest of the day.
1800 - Some extremely late XC trains!
1V93 1300 GLC-RDG arrives at EDB 233L.
1S37 0601 GLD-EDB released from BWK 290L.
1810 - Train recovery starts
1S09 recovered by Thunderbird; terminates EDB 338L.
1S10 recovered by Thunderbird; terminates ALM 283L.
4N80 remains at site.
1955 - Update from Durham
Railway reopens for diesel traffic only, over the Up Line.
1E56 1324 EXD-NCL shunts clear of end bay at YRK, leaves 36L; eventually terminates at NCL.

And that's what I have so far, painstakingly typed up by hand! :)
Thank you for typing all of that out. I found it most interesting.

Could you or someone else please explain what was meant by loss of line light?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yet another thread absolutely littered with headcodes. Is it really too much to ask that 1) people who genuinely do know and work with them post service details instead; and 2) those who don't, stop looking at Realtime Trains to pretend they're somehow "in the know". It's genuinely irritating.

Anyway, ScotRail class 170 (170 404) took a battering yesterday (their photos from Facebook):

42249303_2214396861917678_4654575437291192320_o.jpg

42114278_2214396881917676_3624888265372336128_o.jpg

Is this due to head to Northern? Maybe just send it down today :lol:
When posting photos from other sites, I think it's always useful to put a link to the site the photos came from, so people can go back to the source if they so wish.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Traction restricted to diesel only between darlington and Newcastle. Electrics could run bi-direcrional however due to the delay this would cause to up services this was not an option.

With the damaged catenery removed trains were able to run at linespeed. Staff are on site now repairing the OHLE with the remaining trains running Bi-Di and using platform 1 at Durham.

LNER ran one service per hour KGX-EDB using HSTs with additional stops at Durham and other ECML locations in lieu of the other Edinburgh/newcastle service. Keeping the MK4 to the south and deputising for HST diagrams as necessary to free up the HSTs. TPE and XC running their normal timetables once displaced crews and traction were finally back in place. Now the evening service is winding down there may well be some MK4 sets needed to be positioned for start of service so run them thunderbird hauled.
If there were no HSTs and only hi electrics, what impact would that have on trying to runs timetable during this disruption?

cuccir

Established Member
LNER ran one service per hour KGX-EDB using HSTs with additional stops at Durham and other ECML locations in lieu of the other Edinburgh/newcastle service

A similar service pattern has been announced for Friday morning, with (at the time of writing) a normal service planned from around 11ish. Most pre-0700 serviced are either cancelled or will be starting in Darlington/York, presumably to allow engineering work north of there.

rosschap

Storm appears to have made its way south overnight, 2A04 Ashford Intl - Victoria has been terminated at Maidstone East after striking a tree about an hour ago.

_toommm_

Established Member

Couple of drags in the evening peak yesterday - passed a 91 being hauled North by a 67 at Durham at about half 5/6 yesterday

infobleep

Veteran Member
Various trees were down on South Western Railway but most were cleared by 7.45. They did say they were running additional trains overnight to check for such things but some or all of the trees didn't play ball it seems and blocked the railway after these trains ran! Naughty trees.

I see the 6:12 Petersfield to Waterloo had its Clapham Junction stop cancelled due to it running 10 minutes late. The next train from Guildford to Waterloo that stopped at Clapham Junction, 7:03, was running 5 minutes late so had all its stops between Surbtion and Waterloo cancelled. Given it was only 5 minutes late, did they really need to cancel them all. It did arrive into Waterloo 2 minutes late. The 7:35 was running 4 minutes late leaving Surbtion though and that didn't have any stops cancelled. It was 7 minutes late into Waterloo. Still if they had a need to cancel stops on one then so be it.

At least passengers were being allowed to circulate via Waterloo today. At least that is what Twitter staff said.

South Western Railway also announced that tree at Early had been removed and trains could run normally again. This was on Twitter. However they then didn't mention the tree at Crowthorn in warning Tweets. Now this tree caused a GWR train to be in the platform at Wokingham, causing one train to be stuck between Early and Wokingham for over 30 minutes. At least they were responding to passengers tweets about it.

That GWR train is the 6:32. Given it was over an hour late, they allowed it to continue to Gatwick Airport. Alas that was the last one. Since then only stopping services to Redhill are runnng. This was due to a tree on the line earlier and signalling issues - possibly caused by the tree. I don't know.

However sadly their was an incident blocking lines between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport so that will now be impacting on the services too. Thoughts to those involved with that.

_toommm_

Established Member
Got to say props to LNER. Submitted my delay repay Thursday (including a split ticket), they've calculated my delay correctly and sent me an email this morning to say £46.20 is going into my account in the next 14 days. Puts TransPennine to shame.

whhistle

On Moderation
Could you or someone else please explain what was meant by loss of line light?
I was always under the impression it was a light in the cab that showed the train was receiving power from the overhead wires or 3rd rail.
Diesels are unaffected/don't have this.

Loss of the light means the train isn't getting power.

Think the light on the kettle when you turn it on.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was always under the impression it was a light in the cab that showed the train was receiving power from the overhead wires or 3rd rail.
Diesels are unaffected/don't have this.

Loss of the light means the train isn't getting power.

Think the light on the kettle when you turn it on.
Thanks for that. Makes sense now.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Thanks. So if loss of light, no power on over head electric lines?
Possibly but what it really indicates, for overhead electrification anyway, is the state of the Vacuum Circuit Breaker on the train, i.e. open (no power) or shut (power).

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Possibly but what it really indicates, for overhead electrification anyway, is the state of the Vacuum Circuit Breaker on the train, i.e. open (no power) or shut (power).

That , and of course is the pantograph up and making contact (sometimes the ADD device will kick in and drop the pan(s) ?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Not impressed with ATW's reaction to the landslide at all. It's almost like they have just given up now they only have a few weeks left. Running a replacement bus service but only saying its at "hourly intervals" (when the normal service is half hourly) without giving any details on times etc. So are they expecting people to just hang around for an hour just waiting? Yes there is ticket acceptance on local buses but they take a lot longer than specific rail replacement buses and doesn't help if you have luggage etc where with the local bus youd have to lug it a fair distance from bus stops to train stations!

NoOnesFool

Now missed my second train to Stockport, been told to go back the way I came, this time to Leeds, train to Piccadilly then to Stockport. Will have probably missed my last bus home by then.
Oh dear, not a good day for you then. :(

driver9000

Established Member
Thanks. So if loss of light, no power on over head electric lines?

Correct or the loco/unit isn't getting the power because its main breaker is open. On the electric units I drive the line light is on as long as the unit is receiving more than 17kv AC (assuming the pan is up and the VCB is closed).

tsr

Established Member
Exceptionally poor railhead conditions are reported around Kent/Sussex today due to light rain / heavy drizzle and the first of the leaves falling. Railhead Treatment Trains mostly won’t be available yet, so drivers are having to make do as best they can until somebody can be resourced to manually treat the worst areas.

Fortunately the heavier rain expected over the next 24ish hours may help wash away some of the detritus, but we’ll see.

Lines affected include the Crystal Palace - Beckenham Jn route, Chilham - Chartham, Redhill - Tonbridge and Hurst Green - Uckfield.

Dren Ahmeti

GWR running some trains non-stop Reading-Guildford on the Gatwick Airport/Redhill runs due to extremely poor railhead adhesion.

Dren Ahmeti

OLE also down at Abington on the WCML due to the sleepers somehow knocking them down. Single line working in progress between Abington and Symington Crossovers.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not impressed with ATW's reaction to the landslide at all. It's almost like they have just given up now they only have a few weeks left. Running a replacement bus service but only saying its at "hourly intervals" (when the normal service is half hourly) without giving any details on times etc. So are they expecting people to just hang around for an hour just waiting? Yes there is ticket acceptance on local buses but they take a lot longer than specific rail replacement buses and doesn't help if you have luggage etc where with the local bus youd have to lug it a fair distance from bus stops to train stations!

Have posted here as storm Ali has passed:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/storm-bronagh-late-today-and-into-early-tomorrow.170003/#post-3648607

route101

Established Member
OLE also down at Abington on the WCML due to the sleepers somehow knocking them down. Single line working in progress between Abington and Symington Crossovers.

Got caught up in that last night . 2 hours late at Glasgow Central . 10 car Voyager vice Pendo . Many had connections north from Glasgow though there was TPE for Edinburgh from Carlisle it was behind us . Liverpool to Glasgow ticket , so dont think its delay repay

Status
Not open for further replies.