• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wedding on the Underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

Im having a convosation with my girlfriend about marriage and as she knows I love trains, asked whether it would be possible to have a wedding reception on a tube train. I didnt know the answer but was determined to find out, so, do any of you know whether this is possible? E.g. to hire a tube train specially for your private use?

Also, can you hire Aldwych for this purpose?

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainBoy98

With Aldwych, could the ticket hall be hired then? And the site was last updated 2010, thats why I wondered whether it may have changed. And about the train idea, yeah, I thought it would be hard, but would it be easier, say, for Amersham or Chesam to somewhere (Baker Street, Moorgate or Aldgate?). If not, where do you think would be easiest?

For your question at the bottom, read my signature and take a guess!

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bit young to be thinking about marriage aren't you?

Still I think all we'll be able to advise is that it seems unlikely that to be possible that you could hire a tube train (or carriage) for such an event. But in order to be sure you'd need to contact TfL customer services here.

You might be better going after a mainline TOC, Virgin for example are quite happy to hire carriages or even entire trains as you can read about here. But I imagine they'd charge a pretty penny for the privilege (that goes for LU and TOCs).

TrainBoy98

Yes I am a bit young, hence why I didnt understand Telstarbox asking whether I'd put a ring on it yet! And yeah, I looked into virgin earlier and I'm sure that they would charge a very pretty penny for it!!

swj99

Some people managed to have a dinner party on the tube a few years ago, so anything's possible. Does it have to be the tube ? If not, there are various steam railways that might be worth considering.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The laws in England & Wales require you to use a registered venue don't they? Of course, you can have a low-key registry office wedding to deal with the formalities, and then an entirely ceremonial wedding somewhere else- friends got married on a cliff top this way.

As I understand it, the laws in Scotland allow you to get married anywhere you can persuade a registrar/minister/priest/other legally licensed person to marry you.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The laws in England & Wales require you to use a registered venue don't they? Of course, you can have a low-key registry office wedding to deal with the formalities, and then an entirely ceremonial wedding somewhere else- friends got married on a cliff top this way.

As I understand it, the laws in Scotland allow you to get married anywhere you can persuade a registrar/minister/priest/other legally licensed person to marry you.

Oddly, in Scotland a registrar can only marry people in a registered venue (as in England and Wales), whilst a priest/rabbi/druid can marry you anywhere they're willing to go.

D365

Veteran Member
Going by your user name, you're only a year younger than me! I wonder how she puts up with you and your hobby, an interesting thought anyhow! :P Hasn't Canary Wharf, Jubilee been used for weddings? From the above post, I can recommend Talyllyn, a beautiful little railway attraction.

Nym

Established Member
If you have a thick enough wad of cash you might be able to get something like Ammersham to Watford as a trip to do the deed...?

Flamingo

Established Member
I've known a colleague have their wedding breakfast (for a dozen or so) on the Pullman service when it used to run Swansea - London at lunchtime. It might be worth thinking about or a small party on the existing Pullman.

TrainBoy98

Above two ideas dont sound too bad
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Going by your user name, you're only a year younger than me! I wonder how she puts up with you and your hobby, an interesting thought anyhow! :P Hasn't Canary Wharf, Jubilee been used for weddings? From the above post, I can recommend Talyllyn, a beautiful little railway attraction.

Well if your 15 then thats absolutely correct as Im born '98 and as my signature says im 14! :) And Ive wondered that too!! She hates trains completely and despises my hobby, but she still puts up with it even though I use it to annoy her and talk about them constantly (she must love me I suppose!)! :D

And thanks for the recomendation, it does seem like a lovely little line!

at 15 years old far too earlier to be thinking about marriage and if she doesnt like ur hobby now there is no way she would ever agree to get married on tube i would predict 0.5% of women would.

and besides white dress for the bride that get ruined with ten minutes.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
at 15 years old far too earlier to be thinking about marriage and if she doesnt like ur hobby now there is no way she would ever agree to get married on tube i would predict 0.5% of women would.

Sounds like she suggested it!

You don't have to get married in White - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....207241932395.140829.536687395&type=3&theater

TrainBoy98

She did sort of suggest it, plus she wants to be married in a purple dress. Also, she is starting to get used to railways and shes is brainwashing herself with them :D

D365

Veteran Member
Well if your 15 then thats absolutely correct as Im born '98 and as my signature says im 14! :) And Ive wondered that too!! She hates trains completely and despises my hobby, but she still puts up with it even though I use it to annoy her and talk about them constantly (she must love me I suppose!)! :D

And thanks for the recomendation, it does seem like a lovely little line!

Just made the big one-six actually but hey :P Self-admittedly I'm annoying at times but some girls love quirky traits (quirky trains?). Us men can consider ourselves lucky that women will look through our (many?) flaws to find the people deep inside :D

But anyway, yes, the Talyllyn Railway is quite a 'romantic' one, may I say. There exist some lovely walks from the railway, particularly the Dolgoch Falls from the eponymous station. A quiet honeymoon, or similar perhaps? A wedding on the ol'Tube wouldn't be as appealing imho. Although Aldwych may be interesting - is it still being maintained with the '72TS train? Lots of possibilities all over I s'pose, it's nice to dream!

Nym

Established Member
Just made the big one-six actually but hey :P Self-admittedly I'm annoying at times but some girls love quirky traits (quirky trains?). Us men can consider ourselves lucky that women will look through our (many?) flaws to find the people deep inside :D

Speak for yourselves, but one's partner really likes trains too, if not more than me, he really does like the books n thinks I get for him.

TrainBoy98

But anyway, yes, the Talyllyn Railway is quite a 'romantic' one, may I say. There exist some lovely walks from the railway, particularly the Dolgoch Falls from the eponymous station. A quiet honeymoon, or similar perhaps? A wedding on the ol'Tube wouldn't be as appealing imho. Although Aldwych may be interesting - is it still being maintained with the '72TS train? Lots of possibilities all over I s'pose, it's nice to dream!

Ah sorry, assumed you were 15, happy (late) birthday though! And yes, appearently they do like quirky traits as shes told me she finds it cute :)

And yeah, the Talyllyn does sound nice, if in 6 years were still together, I might consider there as I would love it and I think that she would appreiciate it too. But not for honeymoon, she says that has to be LA :D

Yep, it is nice to dream!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Speak for yourselves, but one's partner really likes trains too, if not more than me, he really does like the books n thinks I get for him.

Well your very lucky finding someone that doesnt mind them, as most dont. Im glad he accepts the things you get for him, mine absolutely hates it! Oh well

Nym

Established Member
Oh I know just how luckly I am, and not just for being two massive geeks (not just trains)...

But still, depends on what you're buying them, a lot of things I get don't actually cost that much, and most of them are train tickets...

D365

Veteran Member
Ah sorry, assumed you were 15, happy (late) birthday though! And yes, apparently they do like quirky traits as shes told me she finds it cute :)

And yeah, the Talyllyn does sound nice, if in 6 years were still together, I might consider there as I would love it and I think that she would appreiciate it too. But not for honeymoon, she says that has to be LA :D

Yep, it is nice to dream!

Aha, cheers, you're a lucky guy you are :P

Well if she wants the honeymoon in LA why dont u try out the New york Underground system for weddings very romantic!

Clip

Established Member

You wait till she gets a bit older and you wont be saying that with a big grin at the end ;):lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.