• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weekend Upgrade on FGW Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushiuk

I'm travelling on the 09:34 from Reading to St Erth on Saturday 5th Sept and would like to upgrade to 1st when I travel.
As there are now fewer 1st class seats on FGW I'm wondering if this will be a problem - especially as I'm boarding at Reading rather than Paddington.
Any observations from those travelling the route would be welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm travelling on the 09:34 from Reading to St Erth on Saturday 5th Sept and would like to upgrade to 1st when I travel.
As there are now fewer 1st class seats on FGW I'm wondering if this will be a problem - especially as I'm boarding at Reading rather than Paddington.

When I have used it and upgraded myself i have found it to be busy, but you can still get a seat.
Sam

455driver

Veteran Member
The weekend 1st option is rarely announced now because there isnt the spare capacity anymore.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When I have used it and upgraded myself i have found it to be busy, but you can still get a seat.
Sam

On the small number of WoE services that I have been on this summer first has been full. I don't know why FGW did not keep a small number of sets with 2.5 first class vehicles for WoE services - Reading commuters are not the only group of passengers on this line.

Bishopstone

Established Member

There are First Class Advances available on this train for £86 as I type.

The cheapest Standard Advance is £47.50, and the Weekend First supplement would be £20 making £67.50 total.

On a Saturday towards the end of the holiday season, I would book the First Advance to be sure of a FC seat, with that price differential.

455driver

Veteran Member
On the small number of WoE services that I have been on this summer first has been full. I don't know why FGW did not keep a small number of sets with 2.5 first class vehicles for WoE services - Reading commuters are not the only group of passengers on this line.

Because the DaFT told them to convert all sets to 1.5 1st class carriages, I did catch one last week with 2 1st class, 1 TRFB and a mini buffet but the TRFB was removed on Laira that night, but it still has 2 1st class carriages, I think its the last rake.

sushiuk

I bought the ticket almost as soon as they came out and it was approx £26 for standard but first was still £86 so not worth that differential!
Oh well, at least there shouldn't be a problem upgrading on the way back as I'll be boarding the first stop after Penzance.

Michael.Y

Established Member
I bought the ticket almost as soon as they came out and it was approx £26 for standard but first was still £86 so not worth that differential!
Oh well, at least there shouldn't be a problem upgrading on the way back as I'll be boarding the first stop after Penzance.

£60 for weekend 1st upgrade? Someone's ripping you off.

gray1404

Established Member
Is it possible to buy weekend 1st upgrade on FGW in advance at a booking office? If so, you could request a seat reservation in 1st at the same time. I'm sure some people on here will know if thats possible.

Established Member
Is it possible to buy weekend 1st upgrade on FGW in advance at a booking office? If so, you could request a seat reservation in 1st at the same time. I'm sure some people on here will know if thats possible.

No, Buy on board only.

gray1404

Established Member
That's a shame. Well, board and see if there is a 1st seat for you, knowing that you'll have a reservation in STD on your advance ticket if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.