• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welsh Government new guidelines for travel on public transport: Extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrotnig

I suspect it is badly put and refers not to newspapers generally, but specifically "stacks of free newspapers which get handled by lots of people and left all over the place".
That's easily solved...the railways need to stop stocking them / allowing them to be distributed. Then you ask people, if they bring a newspaper, please take it away with you and don't leave it lying around on the train or elsewhere.

Instead: "ban it! ban it! fines! convictions!"

What is the matter with these people?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
I noticed at (I think) Wigan North Western yesterday that they have completely removed the stands that the Metros are stacked in. I thought then that it is probably to do with people picking up used ones off train seats, when they can't know for sure that they are safe.

Belperpete

Established Member
And I believe that these are recommendations from the Welsh parliament to transport operators and others.
They are not set in stone ?
They are not even recommendations. They are examples of suggested mitigations that operators may wish to consider. Any measures should have been applied by 13 July. See my previous post #12. This is just a scare story run by an on-line media outlet to generate clickbait. Unfortunately, once a false story like this gets going online, people just pile on the bandwagon without checking its voracity.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
On my only trip to the USSR in 1974, we were advised on the plane from Luton to Moscow that no newspaper other than the Morning Star should be attempted to take into Russia, as tensions in the Cold War were at a height (unknown to us until we returned to Britain, Solzhenitsyn was expelled from his motherland the same day as we arrived.) When we got to Moscow, we were divested of our hand luggage which was all placed in a communal area within sight of the officials waiting to 'welcome' you into their country. Being bloody-minded, and as I hadn't finished reading one of the three newspapers I'd bought for the plane ride, I'd stuffed that newspaper back into the top of my bag, which I thought I'd zipped up. I can't tell you how much I regretted it when we were required to identify our luggage, and there sticking out of the top of my bag was the 'Daily Telegraph', not even a paper I generally read! How I managed to retrieve the bag and walk with it to the immigration officials (almost certainly associated with the KGB if not in direct employ) I still don't know, and I can honestly say I've never regretted any of my life actions so much as I did that one.The fact they let me in so readily was almost worse, because I didn't know what fate (if any) would befall me. My first action on getting to the hotel was to find the loo and spend the next hour or so tearing that paper into tiny pieces and flushing it down.

Off topic perhaps, but not if you consider the Welsh government's 'advice' to be on a par with that of one of the most authoritarian governments of recent memory, as Brezhnev and co most certainly were.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I suppose if you're an entitled railway enthusiast, all health and safety advice sounds 'ridiculous' - we've been hearing the same story for years about opening windows, yellow lines on platforms and use of flash photography or tripods.

However, if you're a more typical passenger, you'll be wanting stringent process in place in order to convince you that, in your own time, it's going to be safe for you to travel by rail again after not doing so for more than four months. This is clearly what this is intended to facilitate: confidence.

Belperpete

Established Member
Off topic perhaps, but not if you consider the Welsh government's 'advice' to be on a par with that of one of the most authoritarian governments of recent memory, as Brezhnev and co most certainly were.
What Welsh government 'advice' are you referring to? As far as I can determine, they have not 'advised' anyone that newspapers are not allowed.

On Moderation
They are not even recommendations. They are examples of suggested mitigations that operators may wish to consider. Any measures should have been applied by 13 July. See my previous post #12. This is just a scare story run by an on-line media outlet to generate clickbait. Unfortunately, once a false story like this gets going online, people just pile on the bandwagon without checking its voracity.
Thank you. I knew I had seen your earlier comment but couldn't find it when I replied.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Since there is obviously some subtlety about this story this thread is now locked for the moment. If any of these suggested mitigations do become mandatory on public transport in Wales then please contact a member of the forum team and we will look to have the thread reopened.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.