• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale Railway... Current goings-on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Hi,
I know we have a few people on here who are involved in the Wensleydale Railway... just wondered what the state of play is there at the moment both in terms of rolling stock and future plans?
So just a few Qs, hope someone can help! I am aware that Covid may well make all of these questions un-answerable!

• Operational Loco Fleet: is that now a mix of the Pacers, First-gen DMUs and Classes 20, 33 and 37? Do they still have a 31 or anything else operational?
  • Steam: I know the Polar Express is coming up which presumably will use one of Greg Wilson's S160s; does the railway still intend to hire in a steam loco next summer as they did in 2018 and 2019?
  • I know they've recently had a huge clear out of privately-owned locos that were just occupying siding space. What's actually left in the restoration queue? Have both of those Cl60s left?

• Looks like the MK2 coaches are going into a mixture of BR Maroon and BR Blue/Grey... Is that with the intention of creating one rake of each?
  • What are the plans for the MK1s? From what I remember they've only got a small number in maroon?

• Finally... I know that much of their focus recently has been refurbing stations and trackwork. What's the priorities going forward to develop the line both as a heritage railway and tourist attraction?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluenoxid

Established Member
There is this thread that might be a start for you for your third bulletpoint. Apologies if it isn’t.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/wensleydale-railway-‘clear-out’.213082/

alexl92

Established Member
There is this thread that might be a start for you for your third bulletpoint. Apologies if it isn’t.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/wensleydale-railway-‘clear-out’.213082/
Cheers, I'd forgotten about this thread (and I started it :lol:). Confirms the 60s and a 31 have left. Interested to know what's still there, either operational or in the works/overhaul queue.

And in a stroke of sheer irony (especially considering some of the conversations we've had on this forum about pacers in preservation recently), I've just spotted in the latest Traction Ads that the WR have a Class 142 up for sale...
1633698159554.png

Marmaduke

Hi,
I know we have a few people on here who are involved in the Wensleydale Railway... just wondered what the state of play is there at the moment both in terms of rolling stock and future plans?
So just a few Qs, hope someone can help! I am aware that Covid may well make all of these questions un-answerable!

• Operational Loco Fleet: is that now a mix of the Pacers, First-gen DMUs and Classes 20, 33 and 37? Do they still have a 31 or anything else operational?
  • Steam: I know the Polar Express is coming up which presumably will use one of Greg Wilson's S160s; does the railway still intend to hire in a steam loco next summer as they did in 2018 and 2019?
  • I know they've recently had a huge clear out of privately-owned locos that were just occupying siding space. What's actually left in the restoration queue? Have both of those Cl60s left?

• Looks like the MK2 coaches are going into a mixture of BR Maroon and BR Blue/Grey... Is that with the intention of creating one rake of each?
  • What are the plans for the MK1s? From what I remember they've only got a small number in maroon?

• Finally... I know that much of their focus recently has been refurbing stations and trackwork. What's the priorities going forward to develop the line both as a heritage railway and tourist attraction?

Cheers!
Hi,
Im not involved in the WR, but as they say "know someone who is"!!

Cant answer anything concrete aside from saying its my understanding that the Mk1's will be painted maroon and the Mk2's BR Blue / Grey. Thats what Ive heard.
As regards Traction, yes there's a few Pacers, but again I understand, all are not the WR's and some are in store for other railways until they can move them.
Pacers are really useful for the WR because whilst they are not truly heritage, they have a large fan base and are ideal for the railway in terms of its full distance of 22miles.
Yes the 60's have gone, along with the 9F, a 20 and think a 47.
I'm led to believe that in the future steam will focus on the Leyburn - Redmire section, now they have the loop in and once they get the signalling sorted.
I must admit, I love hearing about the WR - Its quietly going places. I have had a few rides along it over the years and they offer something different to other railways.

Have you ever been to Beamish? Well the WR appear to be offering something similar, at both Leeming bar & Scruton stations, where volunteers dress up and enact the period interacting with the public - Its rather excellent and the two stations have been wonderfully refurbished - a real credit to the vision of those at the WR

Lemmy282

Hertfordshire Mercury report that a signal box from Hertford East is going to be erected at Leyburn following an £80,000 grant from Railway Heritage Trust.

alexl92

Established Member
Hi,
Im not involved in the WR, but as they say "know someone who is"!!

Cant answer anything concrete aside from saying its my understanding that the Mk1's will be painted maroon and the Mk2's BR Blue / Grey. Thats what Ive heard.
As regards Traction, yes there's a few Pacers, but again I understand, all are not the WR's and some are in store for other railways until they can move them.
Pacers are really useful for the WR because whilst they are not truly heritage, they have a large fan base and are ideal for the railway in terms of its full distance of 22miles.
Yes the 60's have gone, along with the 9F, a 20 and think a 47.
I'm led to believe that in the future steam will focus on the Leyburn - Redmire section, now they have the loop in and once they get the signalling sorted.
I must admit, I love hearing about the WR - Its quietly going places. I have had a few rides along it over the years and they offer something different to other railways.

Have you ever been to Beamish? Well the WR appear to be offering something similar, at both Leeming bar & Scruton stations, where volunteers dress up and enact the period interacting with the public - Its rather excellent and the two stations have been wonderfully refurbished - a real credit to the vision of those at the WR
Thank you for passing this info on. Confirms my thoughts. I've never yet managed to get up there (because every time I've had the opportunity, they haven't been running or vice-versa) but I'd like to do so and I've been following their progress for a few years now. They definintely seem to be going in the right direction. Wouldn't want to travel an hour and a half for a bumpy ride on a pacer (I had enough of those travelling between Huddersfield and Bradford) so hoping they run some loco-hauled services next year or even hire in a steam loco for a bit as per 2018/19.

I have read some very positive reports in the press around the approach Wensleydale are taking with respect to re-engaging with visitors - their restored stations with volunteers in period dress showing visitors about 'life in 19xx' sounds brilliant.

The success of any heritage railway is related visitors supporting and ultimately some becoming volunteers - so perhaps the key here is rather than post on a forum about what they are doing etc - pop in and see them and chat to them about plans and perhaps offer to lend a hand.

Last edited:

slimmole

Just to give a heads up, the WR are planning both Steam and Diesel services between Christmas and New year, running from Leeming to Leyburn. These will be the first passenger services into Leyburn for about 22 months. We are also looking at our usual christmas eve outing with 37250. Details of both will be on the website shortly, with tickets available to book on line.

We will then be closed for January as we get on with some infrastructure work, then back running to Leyburn in Febuary half term. Redmire should be back on the network for easter (sooner if we can manage it). Most of the trains will be units, using either pacers, the Bubble car or our resident 101, but there may also be a few surprises in the pipeline. We have already agreed that the first sunday every month (March onwards) will see LHCS with one or two of our resident fleet hauling 3 return trips Leeming to Leyburn or Redmire. The timetable will be such that they will interface with the regular bus from Northallerton station. We may even be able to squeeze in a run down to Scruton and drag back for the middle service (just need to make sure we have time to complete it). We will publish the loco roster for these services as far in advance as possible (at least 2 months) to make it easire to plan to come up and ride behind your favourite loco.

2022 is looking to be a very promising year for the WR, we will be up and running properly, so events and specials will be back on. The station house at Leeming will be finished, and we will be progressing with the signal box, second platform and foot bridge at Leyburn (all delayed by Covid).

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks for the excellent information. I’ll look into the logistics of doing the Christmas Eve 37

alexl92

Established Member
Thanks Slimmole, Great to have info from the inside! Looking forward to the LH services particularly.

I presume the steam services over Christmas will all be the Polar Express ones? All the very best with that!

slimmole

The steam services between christmas and new year will be using the loco hired in for Polar Express, but will be open for anybody to ride on (Polar Express has been completely sold out for a few months now). Probably should have made that a bit more apparent in my original post !

Shameless plug, but timetables and tickets are now available for the Christmas Eve 37250 trains, follow the link below

https://wensleydale-railway.co.uk/christmas-eve-timetable/

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
The steam services between christmas and new year will be using the loco hired in for Polar Express, but will be open for anybody to ride on (Polar Express has been completely sold out for a few months now). Probably should have made that a bit more apparent in my original post !

Shameless plug, but timetables and tickets are now available for the Christmas Eve 37250 trains, follow the link below

https://wensleydale-railway.co.uk/christmas-eve-timetable/
I've booked a rover for christmas eve, thanks for the heads up :) Good value too at £12.50

Visited WR for their mince pie specials (said pie was particularly good) on 27th with the Black 5 performing well. Very impressed. Refurbished Mk2's in the rake and 33035 providing heat. Great to see the Mk3 buffet in use too.

alexl92

Established Member
That’s great to hear. I’ve been saying for the past 4 years that ‘this year will be the year’ I get up there… really hoping to make it 5th time lucky!!

slimmole

Really good to hear you enjoyed your day. The mince pies were great, but we only had 6 left after the last train, so was squeaky bum time as we were giving them out !. Lots planned for next year including diesel hauled LHCS services on the first sunday in the month, more event trains and plenty of infrastructure and rolling stock work to be carried out.

143623 is now in the shed in preparation for a repaint and WL4 is now running and its repaint has already started.

alexl92

Established Member
Really good to hear you enjoyed your day. The mince pies were great, but we only had 6 left after the last train, so was squeaky bum time as we were giving them out !. Lots planned for next year including diesel hauled LHCS services on the first sunday in the month, more event trains and plenty of infrastructure and rolling stock work to be carried out.

143623 is now in the shed in preparation for a repaint and WL4 is now running and its repaint has already started.
Thanks Slimmole! I’ve seen the railway’s appeal to buy two mk1s for steam hauled services… does this mean that hiring a steam locomotive (for the summer season presumably) is on the agenda this year? The traction and rolling stock strategy published a while ago made it sound like it may not happen this year, but presumably the railway wouldn’t invest in two ready-for-service carriages now if it wasnt likely to happen any time soon?

slimmole

Thanks Slimmole! I’ve seen the railway’s appeal to buy two mk1s for steam hauled services… does this mean that hiring a steam locomotive (for the summer season presumably) is on the agenda this year? The traction and rolling stock strategy published a while ago made it sound like it may not happen this year, but presumably the railway wouldn’t invest in two ready-for-service carriages now if it wasnt likely to happen any time soon?
Steam always has to be on the agenda, I think it would be commercial suicide to try and run for any length of time without it. Initital focu for this year will be to complete the reopening to Leyburn and relay 1 mile of track on Preston bank to bring the line to Redmire back up to passenger stadards. Depending on the outcome of those projects we will then consider what traction makes most sense, no point in hiring in a kettle if we can only run Bedale to Scruton.

Without a shadow of a doubt steam sells tickets. Our Mince Pie Specials proves this with the black 5 services attracting about 5 times the passengers as the diesel.

If we get the MK1's in time, complete the infrastructure works and find a suitable loco at a sensible price then hopefully we will have steam this year, but its not nailed on, it has to work commercially.

slimmole

What's the score about passenger trains returning to Northallerton West?
Aspirational at the moment. Ou focus is on getting the west end of the railway fully reopened and generating income. Once we have that done we will turn our attention to the east again. The line from castle hills has to be keps open for MOD trains, charters and in/out movements, so in no way are we going to be abandoning it, but when we did run to Northallerton West the figures indicated that the west end of the line is where the passengers want to be.

There are still indications that NR want ro remodel Northallerton entirely to remove some of the level crossings that can snarl up road traffic through the town, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that this would involve work at castle hills, in which case it would then be sensible to try to remove Northallerton West and try to get a bay platform at Northallerton main line. Might be a pipe dream, but without dreamers what do you have !

alexl92

Established Member
Steam always has to be on the agenda, I think it would be commercial suicide to try and run for any length of time without it. Initital focu for this year will be to complete the reopening to Leyburn and relay 1 mile of track on Preston bank to bring the line to Redmire back up to passenger stadards. Depending on the outcome of those projects we will then consider what traction makes most sense, no point in hiring in a kettle if we can only run Bedale to Scruton.

Without a shadow of a doubt steam sells tickets. Our Mince Pie Specials proves this with the black 5 services attracting about 5 times the passengers as the diesel.

If we get the MK1's in time, complete the infrastructure works and find a suitable loco at a sensible price then hopefully we will have steam this year, but its not nailed on, it has to work commercially.
Thank you, that does make total sense. I’m glad the railway management recognises that steam is probably a bigger seeker, but equally I’m also glad that they’re being sensible with their strategy.

I presume the rumoured enquiries about the NRM’s J52 were either untrue or are now dead in the water?

Aspirational at the moment. Ou focus is on getting the west end of the railway fully reopened and generating income. Once we have that done we will turn our attention to the east again. The line from castle hills has to be keps open for MOD trains, charters and in/out movements, so in no way are we going to be abandoning it, but when we did run to Northallerton West the figures indicated that the west end of the line is where the passengers want to be.

There are still indications that NR want ro remodel Northallerton entirely to remove some of the level crossings that can snarl up road traffic through the town, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that this would involve work at castle hills, in which case it would then be sensible to try to remove Northallerton West and try to get a bay platform at Northallerton main line. Might be a pipe dream, but without dreamers what do you have !
It would be ace if you were able to get into Northallerton itself, and I think it would benefit the town too. I can imagine it now… a ride on the WR from Northallerton to Redmire… lunch at the Bolton Arms, then back to Northallerton for tea at Uno Momento :lol:

slimmole

Not heard any 'rumours' regarding the J52, ut we did look into it for a long term project, but Covid put a spanner into that particular works. May dust it down again, but as mentioned its a long term deal, and we need something in the short term if we are to be able to have steam this season.

Cant beat a ride up the dale and a pint in the Bolton Arms. Although from a commercial perspective its dificut to market the full line, most non-enthusiasts simply dont have the concentration span to want a 90 minute train ride, lunch and another 90 minutes back. But an evening dinner or event service from Northallerton to Redmire and back would give good value for money.

MarkRedon

There's perhaps another small market for Northallerton-originating customers. I once rode in a well-used DMU from Northallerton to Redmire on a snowy day (about 1982?) for a Dales Rail style ramble. Might justify monthly or weekly journeys?

Iskra

Established Member
There's perhaps another small market for Northallerton-originating customers. I once rode in a well-used DMU from Northallerton to Redmire on a snowy day (about 1982?) for a Dales Rail style ramble. Might justify monthly or weekly journeys?
I agree with this, I'd be up for that and it should attract some custom as it would make the line more accessible from the railway network.

I was unable to travel on one of the mince pie specials on christmas eve due to Covid, and I'm pleased to report that the railway have kindly issued me a credit note to use on another visit to the line- good customer service that :)

Spaceflower

Established Member
What's the maximum line speed on the WR and is there a national limit on operating speeds for heritage railways?

alexl92

Established Member
What's the maximum line speed on the WR and is there a national limit on operating speeds for heritage railways?
Heritage Railways run under a Transport and Works order (formerly Light Railway order or similar), which permits them to run at a maximum of 25mph. In the event that infrastructure or earthworks aren’t up to standard, a lower limit may be imposed in some places.

Some heritage lines, such as the GCR, have permission to operate trains at higher speeds for test running or if they aren’t carrying passengers (e.g. the GCR’s Travelling Post Office) under specific conditions. Their track obviously needs to be laid to a higher standard though.

Spaceflower

Established Member
Heritage Railways run under a Transport and Works order (formerly Light Railway order or similar), which permits them to run at a maximum of 25mph. In the event that infrastructure or earthworks aren’t up to standard, a lower limit may be imposed in some places.

Some heritage lines, such as the GCR, have permission to operate trains at higher speeds for test running or if they aren’t carrying passengers (e.g. the GCR’s Travelling Post Office) under specific conditions. Their track obviously needs to be laid to a higher standard though.
Thanks.

alexl92

Established Member
Hi,
I've just noticed that one of the Wensleydale 142s is up for sale. Is this to facilitate the arrival of a 143, or is it the one that belonged to the couple who wanted to convert it to an eco home?

nanstallon

There used to be 'Ramblers' Specials' in BR days. I think that the line to Kirbymoorside in East Yorkshire stayed open till about 1964 specially for this traffic.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Yes, this is an excellent idea, a train coupled with a few guided walks of varying difficulties and a train back. Sell teas/coffees on the way out and beers on the way back for extra income.

Status
Not open for further replies.