• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale Railway Extension Into Northallerton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
I heard that they have now extended The Wensleydale Railway into Northallerton adding another station on the way after Leeming Bar. I visited about 2007 and one of the staff was going on about it then. At that time the diesels were doing to Leyburn and the steam train was turning round at the old site where Constable Burton was and running to Redmire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Worf

The WR has always had track to Northallerton; that is where it joins the national network. A new "station" was built at the Northallerton end some years ago, however it has no vehicular access and is some considerable way from the main line station. There is an intermediate station at Scruton which has been restored. Vast sums and lots of volunteer time have been concentrated on this end of the line, and to date, no regular passenger service have never used it, and it creates little if any revenue for the railway. Much as I commend the efforts of the volunteers in what they have done, it has been at the expense of the loss of Aysgarth station and the chance of increasing revenue by tapping the large number of tourists that visit that part of the dale where the scenery is. There are few tourists and little of note at the Northallerton end, and the bit between Leeming Bar and Northallerton should only be maintained on such a level so that visiting railtours can safely use it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The WR has always had track to Northallerton; that is where it joins the national network. A new "station" was built at the Northallerton end some years ago, however it has no vehicular access and is some considerable way from the main line station. There is an intermediate station at Scruton which has been restored. Vast sums and lots of volunteer time have been concentrated on this end of the line, and to date, no regular passenger service have never used it, and it creates little if any revenue for the railway. Much as I commend the efforts of the volunteers in what they have done, it has been at the expense of the loss of Aysgarth station and the chance of increasing revenue by tapping the large number of tourists that visit that part of the dale where the scenery is. There are few tourists and little of note at the Northallerton end, and the bit between Leeming Bar and Northallerton should only be maintained on such a level so that visiting railtours can safely use it.

Regular trains have used Northallerton West. I have traveled on them. Scrutton hasn't been used as a station ( as far as i am aware) but is used as an education resource for which i assume the railway makes an income. I also think that certain grants were time limited and therefore it was a case of "use it or lose it"

Personally I think the extension to Northallerton is of more importance than extending beyond Redmire, at least at this stage. It allows much easier access to the railway from the National network, creates lots of positive PR, it provides access to the largest town in the area, it keeps the railway in the mind of the local authority ( the county council HQ is in Northallerton) and the local population. It is worth pointing out that the track to Northallerton already existed and needed less work than building an entirely new route to Aysgarth, nice at that would be.

Worf

Regular trains have used Northallerton West.

I suppose it depends what you call regular. Northallerton West has been in place since 2014 (mainly paid for by Hambleton Council) and has not had a train service for at least 2 years after some sporadic use. I wonder if the Council will want their money back, along with all the financial support given by others towards the "Aysgarth Ambition"?

duffield

Established Member
I suppose it depends what you call regular. Northallerton West has been in place since 2014 (mainly paid for by Hambleton Council) and has not had a train service for at least 2 years after some sporadic use. I wonder if the Council will want their money back, along with all the financial support given by others towards the "Aysgarth Ambition"?

I've used Northallerton West. I *think* (and I may be wrong here) that there were 'regular (but infrequent) services' (weekly on Saturdays?) for at least a few months before the 'dodgy bridge' issue and then the level crossing incident stopped them.
They may or may not have made some unwise decisions but they've certainly had their share of bad luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.