• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Class 323 - the final countdown

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam L

Does this mean 350 are covering the 323s leaving?
208 is the only one going for now. If more do go in the new year, it will just be short forms till the 730s come I would presume.

Has 208 been rushed into service with Northern today as rumoured?
Needs a conversion exam first then will be out into traffic apparently

Last edited:

DM352

Yes the 310s, to Four oaks,
And 304/308s to 3 car from LTSE I seem to recall as the 323 had some teething issues including the wrong sort of snow. When they did enter service remember them being driven quick between stations possibly breaking the slow speed limits which does not happen now.

The 323in my last trip last year looked internally tired with gaffer tape holding a panel under the pantograph.

M60lad

I wonder how long it will be before 323208 will get repainted into Northern livery and also where will it go to be repainted?

Wouldn't it be easier to get these 323s repainted before they enter service?

Some guy

Are the 323s able to work the Bolton-Chorley-Preston route. I remember hearing they couldn’t at one point

They get/already have gotten the USB ports and WiFi (probably some more but those are the noticeable things) that the Northern units already have.

Possibly drifting a bit off topic, but I find it bizarre that they're still putting USB-A sockets in new / refurbished trains, rather than USB-C, when most phone chargers now are USB-C and therefore most people have USB C-C cables rather than A-C cables. It seems like the railway is always one step behind... "We added USB sockets! But not the type that would be most useful today..."

On another note, I travelled on one of the 323s with the added USB sockets recently and it was amusing that they had this work done in prep for going to Northern, but the unit was otherwise in a state... dirty, tired, grafitti'd, worn seat covers etc... but hey it has USB sockets!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The trains might (just) be 30 years old, but there were still slam door trains on some diagrams on the cross city in 1996/7.
Surprised to learn that, likely suffering a touch of memory fade but I imagined all AC slam door EMUs were confined only to perhaps LT&S & certain former GE lines by that point in time?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Surprised to learn that, likely suffering a touch of memory fade but I imagined all AC slam door EMUs were confined only to perhaps LT&S & certain former GE lines by that point in time?
There are some photos here from 1993 showing a number of slam-door EMUs in service on the Cross City line (304/308/310s seem to be the most common).

Liam L

The trains might (just) be 30 years old, but there were still slam door trains on some diagrams on the cross city in 1996/7.
Didn't the 323 had some issues which delayed the full set entering service till 96/97? Believe the first one entered service in Feb 94.

stuu

Established Member
Possibly drifting a bit off topic, but I find it bizarre that they're still putting USB-A sockets in new / refurbished trains, rather than USB-C, when most phone chargers now are USB-C and therefore most people have USB C-C cables rather than A-C cables. It seems like the railway is always one step behind... "We added USB sockets! But not the type that would be most useful today..."
Citation please? USB C would rule out the use of loads and loads of devices. My new wireless headphones came with a USB A-C cable just last month. I don't have a single C-C cable in my house, and we have at least average levels of technology I would have guessed

Russel

Most high end phones maybe...

Adapters are available!

crosscity

Citation please? USB C would rule out the use of loads and loads of devices. My new wireless headphones came with a USB A-C cable just last month. I don't have a single C-C cable in my house, and we have at least average levels of technology I would have guessed
I agree. This year I bought a cheap-ish tablet along with a lowish spec Moto smartphone each with a USB-C socket for charging. Each came with a USB A-C cable and USB-A charger. I have connected the phone to a WM 323 USB socket using one of the cables and am pleased to say it worked! The problem will arise if chargers start using USB-C. Then you'll need to buy a USB A-C cable, or scratch around in your kitchen drawer to find an old one (other drawers may be available).

On Moderation
The problem will arise if chargers start using USB-C. Then you'll need to buy a USB A-C cable, or scratch around in your kitchen drawer to find an old one (other drawers may be available).
If? My phone and tablet chargers already have USB-C. Installing sockets at the old standard seems pretty dumb to me - at the very least why not provide one USB-A and one USB-C?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I agree. This year I bought a cheap-ish tablet along with a lowish spec Moto smartphone each with a USB-C socket for charging. Each came with a USB A-C cable and USB-A charger. I have connected the phone to a WM 323 USB socket using one of the cables and am pleased to say it worked! The problem will arise if chargers start using USB-C. Then you'll need to buy a USB A-C cable, or scratch around in your kitchen drawer to find an old one (other drawers may be available).
Many wall plug chargers are already using USB-C, certainly ones provided by OEMs for their higher end phones and tablets. I have a third-party charger with both USB-A and USB-C; I enjoy the flexibility this gives as I can charge more basic devices on the former, but take advantage of the higher power offered by the latter.

Geeves

Established Member
Are the 323s able to work the Bolton-Chorley-Preston route. I remember hearing they couldn’t at one point

Yes they cleared them a few years ago so all good to go via Chorley when the time comes. If wasnt for the issues with depots not signing them they likely would have been out on that much many times by now

GWVillager

I don’t think that’s the case, I and everyone I know uses USB-A, and I think the number of people using USB-C only is relatively small, even if it is increasing. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Class 395 refurbishment contains USB-C sockets anyway.

Some guy

Yes they cleared them a few years ago so all good to go via Chorley when the time comes. If wasnt for the issues with depots not signing them they likely would have been out on that much many times by now
That’s good news will make sense having the high acceleration on the stopping services so it won’t delay any express services

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we keep discussion in this thread to the WMT Class 323 rundown. If anyone wants to discuss anything else such as USB ports then they are welcome to start a new thread elsewhere.

thanks

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

I vividly remember being on a 310 on the Cross City 27 years ago tomorrow.

Didn't the 323 had some issues which delayed the full set entering service till 96/97? Believe the first one entered service in Feb 94.

Yes they did.

Sentinel

Please, we do not want these cast off 323s in the north-west. We want new air-conditioned trains in 6 or 8 car formations.
The 323s are hot in summer and freezing in winter especially when passing Pendolinos or Voyagers at speed causes all the hopper windows to blow open.
Although very nippy, they are well past their “best before” date.

Liam L

Please, we do not want these cast off 323s in the north-west. We want new air-conditioned trains in 6 or 8 car formations.
The 323s are hot in summer and freezing in winter especially when passing Pendolinos or Voyagers at speed causes all the hopper windows to blow open.
Don't worry, that doesn't happen on WMR ones as nearly all of the window latches work.. Well for now at least. Not sure how long that will last under northern judging by your comments and my own experiences on their sets. :lol:

prod_pep

Established Member
Prefer a 319 to a 323 any day.
Slow, smelly, terrible seats and consistently poor reliability? No thanks. The 323s are superior by an order of magnitude as far as I'm concerned.

To me, 319s feel every day of their age when you ride them, yet the 323s could pass for years younger.

Last edited:

Laurencemcd

Slow, smelly, terrible seats and consistently poor reliability? No thanks. The 323s are superior by an order of magnitude as far as I'm concerned.

To me, 319s feel every day of their age when you ride them, yet the 323s could pass for years younger.
I still commute on the 323s after two decades and think they’re brilliant units and I will be sad to see them go.

I think they definitely have a good decade left in them - still as fast as ever on the Cross City.