• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands - London Terminals validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayman Ilham

Moderator note: Split from
What about if I'm travelling into Euston (from the West Midlands or NorthWest), would I be able to get a tube to anywhere else in Zone 1 such as London Bridge or Paddington with the 'London Terminals' ticket?

Of course the LNR specific tickets are ruled out because they specify 'Not Valid on the Tube' but I'm on about other types of tickets that have the London Terminals validity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What about if I'm travelling into Euston (from the West Midlands or NorthWest), would I be able to get a tube to anywhere else in Zone 1 such as London Bridge or Paddington with the 'London Terminals' ticket? Of course the LNR specific tickets are ruled out because they specify 'Not Valid on the Tube' but I'm on about other types of tickets that have the London Terminals validity.
It's not valid beyond Euston.

If you want to go to Paddington, you can either pay extra for the tube, or travel via Oxford and Reading.

Tube-inclusive fares are available, but it may be cheaper to use Contactless.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What about if I'm travelling into Euston (from the West Midlands or NorthWest), would I be able to get a tube to anywhere else in Zone 1 such as London Bridge or Paddington with the 'London Terminals' ticket? Of course the LNWR specific tickets are ruled out because they specify 'Not Valid on the Tube' but I'm on about other types of tickets that have the London Terminals validity.
No. In that case validity stops at Euston, the first London Terminal you get to. If your origin had a valid route into another appropriate terminal on the north side of London, then it would still end there, for example at Paddington or Marylebone, and that would be it.

But note that even with the relatively large number of terminals valid for those of us travelling from the south, you still can’t use the tube from one terminal to another, for example once you’re at Cannon St, you can’t then decide to use the tube to go to somewhere else, such as Blackfriars.

Last edited:

Ayman Ilham

No. In that case validity stops at Euston, the first London Terminal you get to. If your origin had a valid route into another appropriate terminal on the north side of London, then it would still end there, for example at Paddington or Marylebone, and that would be it.
Ah fair enough, so basically, it means the first London Terminal I get out of the barriers at is where validity ends. Let's assume I have an 'Any Permitted' ticket into London Terminals (travelling from Preston or Crewe/Manchester), I'd have to go via a different permitted route to go to a different part of London without needing an extra tube ticket. For example, if I wanted to go to London Bridge, I'd have to go via the MML (from Manchester, going via Sheffield is a permitted route) and change somewhere (e.g. Bedford or Luton if any express services still call there) for a Thameslink service. Also, let's say I changed at MKC for a local service into Watford Junction so I can change to a Southern service down the WLL, how far down could I go? Clapham Junction?
It's not valid beyond Euston.

If you want to go to Paddington, you can either pay extra for the tube, or travel via Oxford and Reading.

Tube-inclusive fares are available, but it may be cheaper to use Contactless; feel free to create a new thread for any specific journey you have in mind.
Ah okay so my question about taking a different permitted route to access a different terminal has been answered.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Don't think London Bridge is a valid 'London Terminal' if travelling from Manchester via Sheffield/Chesterfield and then St. Pancras. Nor is Clapham Junction from Manchester via Watford Junction / Kensington Olympia.

jfollows

Established Member
See this thread (post #4)
London Bridge is not a London Terminal from the north.
The West London Line is not a valid route to London Terminals (although some documentation says that Kensington Olympia is a valid destination, but I think that this stopped being the case in 1994).
I think you are over-thinking this!

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
See my post 4 above.
London Bridge is not a London Terminal from the north.
The West London Line is not a valid route to London Terminals (although some documentation says that Kensington Olympia is a valid destination, but I think that this stopped being the case in 1994).
I think you are over-thinking this!
I'm indeed, Olympia used to be a valid London Terminal (or London Brit Rail as it was then). But not anymore

Last edited by a moderator:

What about if I'm travelling into Euston (from the West Midlands or NorthWest), would I be able to get a tube to anywhere else in Zone 1 such as London Bridge or Paddington with the 'London Terminals' ticket?
I think tickets where the 'obvious' route is via Reading are usually valid into Waterloo, and from there to London Bridge as described in post #2; this may well apply to other tickets with validity via Reading, but I'm not certain of that. In any case it would be a very slow way of getting from Manchester to London Bridge for the sake of avoiding a short Underground trip, so probably only useful if you wanted to break your journey somewhere along the route.

jfollows

Established Member
Manchester-London is definitely not valid into Waterloo (except on a through train of course) although it is also definitely valid into Paddington. RG on the routeing guide maps is London to Reading between Paddington and Reading only (https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps).
1684079539601.png
BM+GC
MA
NR+BM+GC
NR+MA
NR+RM+RG
PR
RM+RG
Essentially
  • WCML including via Birmingham area
  • Marylebone via Birmingham
  • Saint Pancras via Sheffield
  • Reading and Paddington
  • Warrington Central on top of the obvious three as well

Last edited:

Ayman Ilham

I think tickets where the 'obvious' route is via Reading are usually valid into Waterloo, and from there to London Bridge as described in post #2; this may well apply to other tickets with validity via Reading, but I'm not certain of that. In any case it would be a very slow way of getting from Manchester to London Bridge for the sake of avoiding a short Underground trip, so probably only useful if you wanted to break your journey somewhere along the route.
Fair dos; would've been useful breaking journey somewhere like Oxford (if going into Paddington) or Derby/Leicester (if bound for St Pancras)

Status
Not open for further replies.