• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Trains Birmingham New Street to Crewe via Tame Bridge Parkway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Just wondered when LNR Crewe-Birmingham services started running via and stopping at Tame Bridge Parkway between New Street and Wolverhampton?

Yesterday I took that service for the first time this year and noticed this routing. It can make things confusing as the booking systems offer a change of train at Wolverhampton as the service to depart after this one is quicker to New Street as it goes what could be called as the "normal" way (8 minutes or so faster). Is this a permanent change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just wondered when LNWR Crewe-Birmingham services started running via and stopping at Tame Bridge Parkway between New Street and Wolverhampton? Yesterday I took that service for the first time this year and noticed this routing. It can make things confusing as the booking systems offer a change of train at Wolverhampton as the service to depart after this one is quicker to New Street as it goes what could be called as the "normal" way (8 minutes or so faster). Is this a permanent change?

Yes, it's to serve new local stations on that route.

If you want a fast one there's the ex-Liverpool or the Avanti.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just wondered when LNWR Crewe-Birmingham services started running via and stopping at Tame Bridge Parkway between New Street and Wolverhampton? Yesterday I took that service for the first time this year and noticed this routing. It can make things confusing as the booking systems offer a change of train at Wolverhampton as the service to depart after this one is quicker to New Street as it goes what could be called as the "normal" way (8 minutes or so faster). Is this a permanent change?
New stations will be opening "soon" at Willenhall and Darlaston. That service was always doing to be re-routed via Tame Bridge Parkway to serve them.

Established Member
New stations will be opening "soon" at Willenhall and Darlaston. That service was always doing to be re-routed via Tame Bridge Parkway to serve them.
Wasn't it supposed to be the second Salop before that got binned?

The interesting one is Sandwell, (allegedly, cough) the WMTs dont call since December as 197s aren't permitted due to stepping gaps, swapping the stop to the Wales, which is soon to be, errr, 197s... So they'll need to divert something back.

Last edited:

NewClee153

Wasn't it supposed to be the second Salop before that got binned?

The interesting one is Sandwell, (allegedly, cough) the WMTs dont call since December as 197s aren't permitted due to stepping gaps, swapping the stop to the Wales, which is soon to be, errr, 197s... So they'll need to divert something back.
From what I’ve heard, the new stations will receive the Birmingham to Crewe (via Stoke on Trent) and an hourly shuttle between Wolverhampton and Walsall, re-introducing the more direct service (between Wolves and Walsall), while the 2tph to Wolverhampton will be welcomed, the 1tph to Birmingham isn’t as useful

barbette165

From what I’ve heard, the new stations will receive the Birmingham to Crewe (via Stoke on Trent) and an hourly shuttle between Wolverhampton and Walsall, re-introducing the more direct service (between Wolves and Walsall), while the 2tph to Wolverhampton will be welcomed, the 1tph to Birmingham isn’t as useful
Why isn’t the service to Birmingham useful? As best as I can figure out from the tfwm site, neither Willenhall nor Darlaston currently have a direct bus service to Birmingham, being able to get to Birmingham in under 30 minutes would, in my opinion, be quite useful.

the sniper

Established Member
Why isn’t the service to Birmingham useful? As best as I can figure out from the tfwm site, neither Willenhall nor Darlaston currently have a direct bus service to Birmingham, being able to get to Birmingham in under 30 minutes would, in my opinion, be quite useful.

Their issue being that there'll only be one direct train to Birmingham per hour. It'd be interesting to know what the connection/journey time will be like if going via Walsall or Wolverhampton though.

NewClee153

I didn’t say it wasn’t useful, I said it wasn’t as useful. Given every other station south of Wolverhampton will receive 2tph to Birmingham

barbette165

Their issue being that there'll only be one direct train to Birmingham per hour. It'd be interesting to know what the connection/journey time will be like if going via Walsall or Wolverhampton though.

Using the journey planner for 'departing now', from Tame Bridge Parkway to New Street via Wolverhampton would take 45 minutes, whilst the alternative doubling back at Walsall would take 43 minutes. This is probably quite close to what could be achieved from Willenhall or Darlaston.

Status
Not open for further replies.