• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Somerset fare information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russel

Established Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the West Somerset sells single fares, and how much from the Taunton end of the line to Minehead? I've had a look on the website but I can't see any detailed fair information beyond day rover tickets, which, for £30 are a bit much if I'm only doing a one way trip.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
Does anyone know if the West Somerset sells single fares, and how much from the Taunton end of the line to Minehead? I've had a look on the website but I can't see any detailed fair information beyond day rover tickets, which, for £30 are a bit much if I'm only doing a one way trip.

Annoyingly, it isn't on the website, and nor is such detail on many other UK preserved railways' sites.

In September 2022, for my second day there as I only travelled in one direction, I purchased an (adult or senior, but my memory it was 'adult') single from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard (the latter being on operating days 'the Taunton end of the line) for GBP18.5.

There will be a significantly reduced fare for children.

I highly recommend this railway. Worth every penny/cent/Australian Pacific Peso!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That's like having to email Asda to ask how much their baked beans are because they can't be bothered to display the price on the shelf.

I did consider it but thought I'd get a quicker answer by asking here.
Inclined to agree. It's almost as if they want you to book their higher-priced Rover tickets.

WSR's website helpfully just states...

CAN I BUY A STANDARD SINGLE OR RETURN TICKET?
Our standard return and single tickets are available on the day from either the booking office or on the train from one of our travelling ticket inspectors.
If you would like a single or return journey from any of our intermediate stations, you can purchase these on the day of your journey from either the booking office or from one of the travelling ticket inspectors on the train. Please call 01643 704996 or email us at [email protected] if you would like to know the prices for these.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It is frustrating that fare info isn't clear on the website.

Personally I found this line fairly dull and uninspiring. It isn't a patch on the top rank heritage lines like the NYMR or SVR but if you are in the area pop along and decide for yourself. They also don't run beyond Bishops Lydeard very often so you may need a bus from Taunton station.

Best bit I found: The brewery and tap behind Bishops Lydeard station and the cafe at Minehead.

Russel

Established Member

Personally I found this line fairly dull and uninspiring. It isn't a patch on the top rank heritage lines like the NYMR or SVR but if you are in the area pop along and decide for yourself. They also don't run beyond Bishops Lydeard very often so you may need a bus from Taunton station.

Best bit I found: The brewery and tap behind Bishops Lydeard station and the cafe at Minehead.

It's more for the class 117 that I want to do the West Somerset, I'd also like to combine it with a trip on the Exmoor Coaster bus to Lynmouth, then bus back to Barnstable, hence only wanting a single ticket.

I've seen a few videos where the line looks a little 'flat' but it's still one I'd like to visit.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'd also like to combine it with a trip on the Exmoor Coaster bus to Lynmouth, then bus back to Barnstable, hence only wanting a single ticket.
i am no bus fan but that seems to be a hell of a route for a bus journey. The views will be superb.

davetheguard

Established Member
It's more for the class 117 that I want to do the West Somerset, I'd also like to combine it with a trip on the Exmoor Coaster bus to Lynmouth, then bus back to Barnstable, hence only wanting a single ticket.

I'm sure you're have no trouble turning up on the day and buying a single ticket, unless it is some sort of special event weekend or something. Trying to push everyone into buying day rovers is a bit naughty really, but I suppose it increases their revenue, and several other heritage railways play the same game too.

I'd thoroughly recomend a trip on a DMU over the West Somerset; I did it back in 2017 when the train was operated by a class 115, of the sort that used to work the lines out of London Marylebone. You see so much more by having the view of the line ahead.

It really is a line in two parts: from Bishop's Lydeard to the coast it is a constantly twisting route, curving left & right and some quite steep gradients through the foothills of the Quantocks. Then, the coastal section on to Minehead is much straighter, and generally flater apart from the climb up to Washford from Watchet.

Here are some pictures taken back in 2017:

DSC08983.JPGDSC08984.JPGDSC08985.JPGDSC08986.JPGDSC08988.JPGDSC08989.JPG

railfan99

Established Member

Many UK heritage railways, not just a few, lack full fare information on websites. Above I stated what I paid from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard: GBP18.50 single.

On weekdays, the Taunton to Minehead route bus has a helpful half hourly frequency, with connecting to and from trains at Taunton railway station super easy because the bus stops are extremely close. The bus stops at Bishop Lydeard railway station: extremely convenient. Only on Sundays is the frequency poorer: 90 minutes or so.

WSR does not operate Taunton to Bishops Lydeard. I wish it did, but unfortunately it'd lose money I assume. It'd be better if the operation formally commenced from Taunton (every trip) but no doubt there are pathing reasons and bureaucracy, plus practicalities such as coaling, watering and Network Rail stipulations and requirements why it doesn't. Plus platform availability. Rare heritage specials do the full length: The Railway Touring Company has three scheduled in 2023, so worth patronising.

From overseas, I have previously done NYMR and SVR, the first all the way from Whitby after staying overnight to view the Captain Cook Museum, given his status as a wonderful explorer.

SVR doesn't even stick in my memory. NYMR does, but WSR is up there with the best, easily, because of Blue Anchor's classic interlocked gates, and how Minehead is a classic English seaside town that continues to be a popular holiday destination with its Butlin's Holiday Camp. There's also Dunster Castle near the line: I walked from Dunster station and back again.

The buffet car on WSR is not a feature all UK heritage railways have. The meal deal: pastie and Quantock Brewery 'stubbie' (bottled beer) was good value at GBP7.00.

Plus there's delightful smaller stations such as Stogumber that reputedly have terrific pasties (Oz spelling, sorry). And what about Crowcombe Heathfield: basically a full station in the middle of nowhere.

I was so impressed with WSR I became a shareholder. As usual, no dividends: basically a donation to an excellent cause.

D Williams

WSR is up there with the best, easily, because of Blue Anchor's classic interlocked gates, and how Minehead is a classic English seaside town that continues to be a popular holiday destination with its Butlin's Holiday Camp. There's also Dunster Castle near the line: I walked from Dunster station and back again.
The WSR is indeed an excellent run. In a DMU you could be back in the 1960s. Unfortunately, for the average punter with children, it's just too long and expensive. If there's a delay somewhere a train can be stuck in the loop at Williton for 20 mins or more. Many years ago the then General Manager told me that the fares that would be accepted by the public would not cover the operating costs of the line. Remember this is a railway that was "snatched from the point of no return" by the current management and board of directors. At least, that was the party line just before Covid. Whether they will be able to dig their way out will become apparent before long.

railfan99

Established Member
The WSR is indeed an excellent run. In a DMU you could be back in the 1960s. Unfortunately, for the average punter with children, it's just too long and expensive. If there's a delay somewhere a train can be stuck in the loop at Williton for 20 mins or more. Many years ago the then General Manager told me that the fares that would be accepted by the public would not cover the operating costs of the line. Remember this is a railway that was "snatched from the point of no return" by the current management and board of directors. At least, that was the party line just before Covid. Whether they will be able to dig their way out will become apparent before long.

IIRC it has a General Manager and an Operations Manager. Combining the two would save money.

One understands the need for some 'professionalism' given how preserved railways must these days prioritise safety (and attendant regulation) above all else and trying to attract TOCs to use the 'test track' at Norton Fitzwarren, but there's an old saying about 'cutting one's cloth.'

Salaries of management quickly eat up revenue. I assume there's also on-costs such as what Australians would call superannuation (a partly self-funded pension plan). Do some managers become bureaucrats who sometimes make volunteers' assistance challenging?

I don't understand the ins and outs, including the history, but management had a controversial difference of opinion with the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust resulting in the latter 'departing' Washford station.

Last edited:

Amlag

It is good that the forthcoming WSR Spring Gala has (at last many will say) got a limited option for a ride in the BV of the Goods trains, as done by some other Heritage Railways.
However, visits to easily accessible signal boxes, another potential earner of much needed revenue, as done recently at a SVR Gala, has not been progressed.
The ex Caledonian Sleeping car, that has been stabled for a longish time at Bishops Lydeard has very recently been moved to Minehead.
Assuming it‘s in a presentable condition, this could be opened for the public to take a look into, and again for a donation.

paul1609

Established Member
IIRC it has a General Manager and an Operations Manager. Combining the two would save money.

One understands the need for some 'professionalism' given how preserved railways must these days prioritise safety (and attendant regulation) above all else and trying to attract TOCs to use the 'test track' at Norton Fitzwarren, but there's an old saying about 'cutting one's cloth.'

Salaries of management quickly eat up revenue. I assume there's also on-costs such as what Australians would call superannuation (a partly self-funded pension plan). Do some managers become bureaucrats who sometimes make volunteers' assistance challenging?

I don't understand the ins and outs, including the history, but management had a controversial difference of opinion with the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust resulting in the latter 'departing' Washford station.
Ive no experience of the WSR but going by my experience at the K &ESR unless you have a lot of volunteer help that has full time safety experience combining the task of General and Operating manager just isnt practical in the modern regulation era with a railway of this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.