• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Westgate on sea to london

Status
Not open for further replies.

dippo

Hi, that time of year again....it seems the only route that doesn't benefit from split tickets is mine?!?! My Renewal of season ticket is £4868!!!! I go in and out of cannon street....any ideas?????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi, that time of year again....it seems the only route that doesn't benefit from split tickets is mine?!?!
It's not always cheaper to split.

If the entire journey is at peak times, and no other operator prices any of the intermediate fares, and there are no alternative routes, then it would be mildly surprising if it were cheaper to "split".

My Renewal of season ticket is £4868!!!! I go in and out of cannon street....any ideas?????
Work nearer home if possible, even if it means a significant pay cut. That's a shocking price, and it doesn't even include HS1. Crazy.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
£4,864 is a lot of money. Let's assume you work 225 days a year. This work out at £21.62 for each journey - to travel Anytime. For comparison purposes the cheapest Super Off Peak Day Return (that is heavily time restricted is £22.40)

Google maps tells me that if you were to drive it's about 72 miles each way. Depending on the fuel type and economy of your car (bear in mind you're unlikely to get top drawer economy driving in Central London) then you could expect your fuel costs to be at least £16 a day. You'd then have to factor in parking and the congestion charge before you even look at depreciation costs and servicing (I now we don't like these types of comparisons on this forum so I'll stop now...)

So £4,864 is a lot of money but when broken down to the daily cost you're actually travelling for the same price as a Super Off peak Day Return and cheaper than if you drove.

The real rip off here isn't the season ticket - it's the Anytime Day Return which is a whopping £58.80. I do pity anyone who has to buy this.

paul1609

Established Member
£4,864 is a lot of money. Let's assume you work 225 days a year. This work out at £21.62 for each journey - to travel Anytime. For comparison purposes the cheapest Super Off Peak Day Return (that is heavily time restricted is £22.40)

Google maps tells me that if you were to drive it's about 72 miles each way. Depending on the fuel type and economy of your car (bear in mind you're unlikely to get top drawer economy driving in Central London) then you could expect your fuel costs to be at least £16 a day. You'd then have to factor in parking and the congestion charge before you even look at depreciation costs and servicing (I now we don't like these types of comparisons on this forum so I'll stop now...)

So £4,864 is a lot of money but when broken down to the daily cost you're actually travelling for the same price as a Super Off peak Day Return and cheaper than if you drove.

The real rip off here isn't the season ticket - it's the Anytime Day Return which is a whopping £58.80. I do pity anyone who has to buy this.

The real rip off is the season ticket itll be around 20% more expensive than other network card area operators on a mileage basis- to travel on trains that are now pretty shabby and on which the air conditioning rarely works.
For a non HS1 anytime to London buy to St Albans City it'll give you a couple of quid off for nearly any station in Kent and throw in a single journey to more or less any tube station in Zone 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.