• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weymouth (Steam Dreams) 27th june 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

VEP3417

looks like a good tout, ill try and photograph the part through the new forest :)

i assume its still steam despite the weather

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bleeder4

looks like a good tout, ill try and photograph the part through the new forest :)

i assume its still steam despite the weather
It will undoubtedly be pushed along by a diesel from the back, like Sir Nigel Gresley was at the weekend from Taunton to Kingswear. Too much of a fire risk to allow unassisted steam at the moment. The steam loco is just there to look good and blow its whistle.

jupiter

It will undoubtedly be pushed along by a diesel from the back, like Sir Nigel Gresley was at the weekend from Taunton to Kingswear. Too much of a fire risk to allow unassisted steam at the moment. The steam loco is just there to look good and blow its whistle.
How does that work? The driver is on the footplate of the steam engine on the front, the diesel locomotive on the back is propelling the train? I don't get it yet.

12LDA28C

Established Member
How does that work? The driver is on the footplate of the steam engine on the front, the diesel locomotive on the back is propelling the train? I don't get it yet.

Clearly there is also a driver in the diesel loco on the rear, and will communicate with the driver on the steam loco via radio.

VEP3417

pics from earlier :)

Attachments

• DSCF7282.JPG
    DSCF7282.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCF7283.JPG
    DSCF7283.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF7285.JPG
    DSCF7285.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7286.JPG
    DSCF7286.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCF7296.JPG
    DSCF7296.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF7297.JPG
    DSCF7297.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 21

DelW

Established Member

Clearly there is also a driver in the diesel loco on the rear, and will communicate with the driver on the steam loco via radio.

Throughout the steam era, drivers of train engines (on the front) and bankers (on the rear) worked their train using communication by whistle signals alone. Sometimes up to four locomotives would be used on a single train, each with its own crew of course.

Robin Procter

The Steam Dreams excursion from London to Weymouth was headed by 34046 'Braunton' with Class47 614 on the tail as far as Yeovil. From Yeovil the diesel headed the train down to Weymouth leaving 'Braunton' to turntable and take on coal and water.

'Braunton' followed about an hour later as a tender-first light engine. Ironically she was held at Dorchester while a lineside fire near Weymouth was brought under control. I don't know the cause of the fire except that it wasn't a steam loco!!

34046 'Braunton'_OMD18530 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The whole train subsequently departed from Weymouth en route to London. BOTH locos worked hard climbing the 1-in-50 Upwey Bank where my photos were taken.

34046 'Braunton'_OMD18581 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Class47 614_OMD18603 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I grew up on the Lickey Incline in the age of steam and so recognise what I saw, heard and photographed.

Robin Procter

It will undoubtedly be pushed along by a diesel from the back, ............. The steam loco is just there to look good and blow its whistle.
.... Not so. Please see my post with photos.

Very nice, although it's 47853 on the rear, regardless of what it says on the side of the loco.
.... Thanks for the compliment / encouragement.

Re Class47 614 being 853, I can only go on what I see so what's the backstory please?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Re Class47 614 being 853, I can only go on what I see so what's the backstory please?

No backstory. The loco is registered on TOPS and with the rolling stock library (R2) as 47853, and also has that number displayed in the cab. It carries a previous number on the bodyside, that's all. If you do a TOPS enquiry for 47614, you'll find the loco doesn't exist.

Similarly, 47805 carries its pre-TOPS number D1935 on the side, 47810 carries D1924 and so on.

Robin Procter

No backstory. The loco is registered on TOPS and with the rolling stock library (R2) as 47853, and also has that number displayed in the cab. It carries a previous number on the bodyside, that's all. If you do a TOPS enquiry for 47614, you'll find the loco doesn't exist.

Similarly, 47805 carries its pre-TOPS number D1935 on the side, 47810 carries D1924 and so on.
.... Thanks for the info - Much appreciated :smile:

So one might say that 47 614 is a ghost loco :lol:.

I photographed a train last Saturday named The Whispering Ghost hauled by 7902 'Clun Castle' but have no idea why that name.

Status
Not open for further replies.