• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A crossing that allows you to cross diagonally has opened in London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8337341.stm

I really like this idea, in many parts of the country pedestrians are made to feel like second class citizens and it can take an age to cross the road. On a route I often take there is no crossing and I have to go across at a strange angle due to those ghastly barriers and the stupid placement of crossings so I hope it's used safely and can be implemented elsewhere!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Ages since I've been there- before, were the crossings at each road single all the way across or two-stage? The two-stage (with island in the middle, and loads of barriers) is an idea intended to prioritise road traffic. This is a welcome step forward in prioritising pedestrians.

Aussie_Rail

Those crossings are quite popular in Japan. There are a few crossings in Melbourne and Adelaide, more might exist but they are ones I know of where the whole intersection stops and people can cross from any side.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I wonder what would happen if a stolen car was coming through while the barrier things were up?

Im guessing the outcome would not be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.