• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are some good railway building games with UK stock/maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspljd1990

I used to love Rail3D back in the day and I remember there being some great Manchester, Liverpool and Yorkshire layouts on the old Yahoo groups. Sadly I think they might be gone.

I like Simutrans and someone over at the official Simutrans has taken their time to create an absolutely fantastic map that has the entirety of the UK rail network, last updated in late 2019.

But, I'm wanting to try something new. Any recommendations? I'm looking for a game where I can create layouts and use (preferably modern) British rolling stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ted172

Train Simulator 2020 by Dovetail Games is a good shout. Plenty of british rolling stock and routes both payware and freeware. There is a route editor where you can create your own routes and layouts.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Open TTD is a great one with british stock available to download. Plenty of info available online. Train sim is good but route editiing is a little difficult.

TheEdge

Established Member
I'd caution against getting Train Sim if you are just after an editor, at best it can be difficult, at worst downright obtuse when it comes to editing.

Transport Fever 2 (or 1) isn't bad for it and there is a decent amount of UK content out there.

Peter Kelford

I'd go for Transport Fever. I haven't bought 2 yet. TF1 has more user-made content but TF2 has more developer-made features. With both of them, you can get track down in a basic landscape and start running trains very quickly, but you can also spend absolutely hours detailing areas.

Bigchris

I've spent hours playing TF1 & TF2. TF2 seems to have quite a bit of UK stock to download, and quite a few modern locos that weren't available in TF1 (latest to appear are 68s & 92s in various liveries). TF2 is a better looking game but there are still a few bugs in it and you need a pretty high spec machine for it to play smoothly. I have a top end gaming laptop and it starts stuttering on the large maps if I get too many vehicles on the go (and I'm talking in the 100s).
If you're happy with continental stock then stick with TF1 and just download the massive amount of extra stock that's available.

D365

Veteran Member
Isn’t TpF2 supposed to be compatible with TpF1 mods and assets?

Bigchris

No, they're not compatible. Some of the TF1 mods have been updated for TF2 but nowhere near as many for TF2 yet.

Peter Kelford

No, they're not compatible. Some of the TF1 mods have been updated for TF2 but nowhere near as many for TF2 yet.
A lot of mods (and you see this with Cities: Skylines) are poor-quality quickly thrown together maps that have little to no play value - i.e. basically autogenerated maps, just with less balancing and utility. I haven't seen one of those for a little while though, to be fair.

Bigchris

Agreed. Personally though I've never been bothered using other people's maps, I prefer to create my own, but I do use lots of the rolling stock, infrastructure and assett mods. I've encountered a few on both games that have caused crashing issues but not that many. I'd say there were 10 or 12 out of about 300 in TF1 that caused issues, and I've only seen a handful that have issues on TF2.

Peter Kelford

Agreed. Personally though I've never been bothered using other people's maps, I prefer to create my own, but I do use lots of the rolling stock, infrastructure and assett mods. I've encountered a few on both games that have caused crashing issues but not that many. I'd say there were 10 or 12 out of about 300 in TF1 that caused issues, and I've only seen a handful that have issues on TF2.
One of them is a rake of Gresley teaks, but not all of them. Just one of a set of multiple teaks have caused crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.