• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are the longest distance services Pacers are booked to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Following on from another thread.

What is the longest end to end journey that Pacer Units (Nodding Donkeys) do.?

I was on one a few days ago from Saltburn on the east coast through to Bishop Auckland and that was just under 90 minutes. It really was nodding when it arrived at Saltburn station too. :)

I remember going one about 20 years ago from Leeds to Lancaster and I am sure that was over two hours. On that one is was still the old bus seats and I was lucky enough to get one of the very few bays of four/six, rather than airline style.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BigCj34

Following on from another thread.

What is the longest end to end journey that Pacer Units (Nodding Donkeys) do.?

I was on one a few days ago from Saltburn on the east coast through to Bishop Auckland and that was just under 90 minutes. It really was nodding when it arrived at Saltburn station too. :)

I remember going one about 20 years ago from Leeds to Lancaster and I am sure that was over two hours. On that one is was still the old bus seats and I was lucky enough to get one of the very few bays of four/six, rather than airline style.

It still does that route! I went from Carnforth to Leeds in one. Not comfortable but cheaper and quicker than going via Preston or Manchester.

pemma

Veteran Member
While not booked Pacer workings a Merseytravel 142 once did a Manchester Airport to Holyhead working, while 144s did on occasions run TPE services like Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes, which may set the records for longest ever Pacer operated passenger services.

I'm not sure if it still runs but more recently there was an Adwick to Manchester Pacer working.

EDIT: Just checked and Adwick to Manchester still runs on weekday afternoons taking 2 hours 15: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y67306/2017/08/15/advanced

Last edited by a moderator:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
What is the afternoon Southport-Leeds service usually worked by? Departs Southport about 1550-ish IIRC.

Lrd

Established Member
How long is the Cumbrian Coast? It takes quite a while to bounce around there...

Mordac

Established Member
It still does that route! I went from Carnforth to Leeds in one. Not comfortable but cheaper and quicker than going via Preston or Manchester.

It definitely does, I remember seeing them when I worked in Lancaster and thinking that must be a nightmare. I saw 144s do it a few times, I guess one of the rare occasions when they venture West of the Pennines?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What is the afternoon Southport-Leeds service usually worked by? Departs Southport about 1550-ish IIRC.

Any 2 units of 142 or 150, in any combination. Occasionally a 153 can sub in for one of the units. 156s can't work it as they won't be signed by the Eastern side crew which takes it on at (I believe) Huddersfield. 158s/155s/144s can't work it as they won't be signed by the Western side crew which takes it from Southport.

Tomnot27

16:16 from nunthorpe to carlise (19:30) is 3hrs 14min is jounery time and is patched as a Pacer

scrapy

Established Member
Any 2 units of 142 or 150, in any combination. Occasionally a 153 can sub in for one of the units. 156s can't work it as they won't be signed by the Eastern side crew which takes it on at (I believe) Huddersfield. 158s/155s/144s can't work it as they won't be signed by the Western side crew which takes it from Southport.

153s never work the route as they cannot pass through Wigan Wallgate due to clearance issues.

Rhymney to Penarth is 1hr 19 minutes

Maesteg to Gloucester are occasionally worked by them which is around 2 hours.

Very few passengers would ever travel the whole length of either of those routes though.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Rhymney to Penarth is 1hr 19 minutes

Maesteg to Gloucester are occasionally worked by them which is around 2 hours.

Very few passengers would ever travel the whole length of either of those routes though.

Maestegs go to Cheltenham with the odd exception so there's another few miles and minutes.
0712 ex Cardiff often worked by Pacer

pemma

Veteran Member

Although it would be possible for a unit to be attached/removed at Victoria.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
While not booked Pacer workings a Merseytravel 142 once did a Manchester Airport to Holyhead working, while 144s did on occasions run TPE services like Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes, which may set the records for longest ever Pacer operated passenger services.

I'm not sure if it still runs but more recently there was an Adwick to Manchester Pacer working.

EDIT: Just checked and Adwick to Manchester still runs on weekday afternoons taking 2 hours 15: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y67306/2017/08/15/advanced

If you really want a long ride on a pacer then Northern's hourly Scunthorpe to Lincoln diagram is often a 142 and takes around 2h 45m. Not that many people would want to make the whole journey considering that the two places are 25 miles apart as the crow flies but the train journey is 90 miles!

High Dyke

Established Member
How long is the Cumbrian Coast? It takes quite a while to bounce around there...
Had the pleasure/misfortune of a trip from Cark & Cartmel to Carlisle round the Cumbrian Coast route many years ago on an unrefurbished 142. The journey took just over three hours. Looking at the current timetable there is a journey between those two stations shown as taking 3h 11m. The service originates from Lancaster, which adds a further 35 - 40 minutes onto the trip. :roll:

pemma

Veteran Member
Removed yes. Adding a 156 on the back would be no good, as there'd be little chance of having a driver passed on them ready to bring it back out of Leeds!

You mentioned 153s as well. They would have to be added at Victoria due to not being cleared to go through Wigan Wallgate and if a Wigan crew was working the western leg I'm not sure they'd sign them either.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You mentioned 153s as well. They would have to be added at Victoria due to not being cleared to go through Wigan Wallgate and if a Wigan crew was working the western leg I'm not sure they'd sign them either.

Indeed. Though the dogbox wouldn't be an issue once it got to Leeds, of course.:)

Tractor37

156s can't work it as they won't be signed by the Eastern side crew which takes it on at (I believe) Huddersfield.

Any Eastern driver with more than 13 years driving still sign 156's as that's what they signed as basic traction. Still plenty of us at Leeds and Huddersfield who are booked to work that particularly job

Shrimper

1615 Adwick-Manchester Piccadilly is 2h15m (though the units sometimes swap at Sheffield if a 144 is provided from Adwick)

High Dyke

Established Member
1615 Adwick-Manchester Piccadilly is 2h15m (though the units sometimes swap at Sheffield if a 144 is provided from Adwick)
For those of a nervous disposition taking the journey throughout then, so far, the choice of traction for today is 142037. :roll:

GW43125

Established Member
If you really want a long ride on a pacer then Northern's hourly Scunthorpe to Lincoln diagram is often a 142 and takes around 2h 45m. Not that many people would want to make the whole journey considering that the two places are 25 miles apart as the crow flies but the train journey is 90 miles!

More pressingly, nobody would want to do the whole journey as it involves going to Scunthorpe! :p

cambsy

On Moderation
Years ago had a 142 nodding donkey from Crewe to Holyhead, as was catching ferry had to travel on it, was a totally rancid ride,:evil, very bouncy, worse than any ferry crossing ever done <D.

TrainfanBen

16:16 from nunthorpe to carlise (19:30) is 3hrs 14min is jounery time and is patched as a Pacer

I know you meant pathed but its more amusing as patched! :lol:

"Ah we'll just patch up this timetable by throwing in a few Pacers"

I did Bristol to Cardiff in a Pacer on Train sim and it seemed to take forever.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
What about Swansea - Pembroke Dock (2hrs15mins), I'm not sure if they're booked or not but pacers can appear on these services.

Status
Not open for further replies.