• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are these berth descriptions at Birmingham New Street tonight?

trainJam

Just had a look at the live map of Birmingham New Street:

What is ROO4 and RM48? I also just saw ROO8 at 6404.

1713472662028.png

Image: Screenshot of OpenTrainTimes map of Birmingham New Street 18/04/24 at 2138.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
I would hazard a guess that they mean "room for 4 cars" and "room for 8 cars" between the already present train and the signal - the signaller reminding themselves that the platform staff have confirmed that trains of this length will fit in the available space.

1Z99

At a guess, it'll be a code used by signallers when stock has arrived off a depot to attach to a service. So for example, "RO04" will be the set to attach to the rear of 1O04. "RM48" will attach to the rear of 1M48 etc.

Just used as a reminder as to what's in the platform without using the actual headcode, as putting it the description early could affect departure screens or systems elsewhere.

LowLevel

Established Member
At a guess, it'll be a code used by signallers when stock has arrived off a depot to attach to a service. So for example, "RO04" will be the set to attach to the rear of 1O04. "RM48" will attach to the rear of 1M48 etc.

Just used as a reminder as to what's in the platform without using the actual headcode, as putting it the description early could affect departure screens or systems elsewhere.
I suspect you've got it!

Haywain

Veteran Member

I'm not so sure about that - from what I have seen on CCF it is normal to leave the ECS headcode in place until the attachment has taken place.

mr_moo

I'm not so sure about that - from what I have seen on CCF it is normal to leave the ECS headcode in place until the attachment has taken place.
I'd agree with you. The stock will have an ECS headcode (5xxx) when it comes into the station, so it will just sit there with it until it's modified or joined into another headcode.

louis97

Established Member
I'd agree with you. The stock will have an ECS headcode (5xxx) when it comes into the station, so it will just sit there with it until it's modified or joined into another headcode.
Not if it has been detached off another service, which has since departed.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
1O04 was this morning's 0511 Manchester to Bournemouth Voyager, BHM 0656 albeit through P1 not P4, but it didn't gain coaches at BHM https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G24988/2024-04-19/detailed#allox_id=0

9M48 was this morning's 0548 Glasgow to Euston Pendo, due BHM 1006 which also did so through P1. Clearly doesn't gain coaches either! https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C27821/2024-04-19/detailed

So I would have guessed Reserved for 1O04 and 9M48? But there is a mismatch with the platforms those services actually used which were both P1 as booked.

Some kind of Reminder?

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Not if it has been detached off another service, which has since departed.
In which case there is no reason it couldn't have the headcode of the outgoing service it will become part of.

louis97

Established Member
In which case there is no reason it couldn't have the headcode of the outgoing service it will become part of.
Not if it is attaching to another through service, you'd have the same headcode in the area twice if you do, as has already been mentioned this can affect information systems.

I would hazard a guess that they mean "room for 4 cars" and "room for 8 cars" between the already present train and the signal - the signaller reminding themselves that the platform staff have confirmed that trains of this length will fit in the available space.
Given the time of the OP, and the trains on the screenshot, this is likely to be the correct answer in this case. Although R(headcode) is also commonly used for attachments. An 8-car 350 is booked to divide and form 2Y76 and 2Y78 and another 8-car 350 is booked to arrive behind it and form an empty to International.

Last edited:

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Not if it is attaching to another through service, you'd have the same headcode in the area twice if you do, as has already been mentioned this can affect information systems.

Given the time of the OP, and the trains on the screenshot, this is likely to be the correct answer in this case. Although R(headcode) is also commonly used for attachments. An 8-car 350 is booked to divide and form 2Y76 and 2Y78 and another 8-car 350 is booked to arrive behind it and form an empty to International.
That would make the following data points a hell of a coincidence.....

1O04 was this morning's 0511 Manchester to Bournemouth Voyager
9M48 was this morning's 0548 Glasgow to Euston Pendo
Admittedly ROO4 is an O not a zero

Perhaps ROOx does mean "room for" and RM48 is referring to 9M48 for another reason completely.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
I've seen a detached portion sitting at a platform described with the headcode of the train it's attaching to but with the leading "1" or "2" replaced by a "-" a few times. I also saw it with an "F" at Chester once.

Either way, it seems signallers use live signalling diagrams the way the rest of us use post-it notes! :lol:
It's also fairly common to see reminders like "4CAR" and "DEPO" left behind from parts of detached train. Sometimes they also slot in a delay attribution code too and then remove it again.

zwk500

Veteran Member
RM48 is referring to 9M48 for another reason completely.
I'm fairly sure I have seen RMxx used for stock reversing at Bristol Temple meads but doing a similar detach-berth-attach move.

OP's screenshot was taken at 2138 so the codes referring to 05xx trains are unlikely.