• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What core skills / key qualities make for a good driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Hope people won't mind me posting this here, but as part of a work assignment I've been asked to compile a list of core skills / key qualities that make for a good train driver.

I thought it would be interesting to draw on the wealth of experience that members of this forum possess and see what you all think. I'm not being lazy, I just think it would be foolish not to ask the question here, seeing as I have access to an audience of railway staff.

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Generally you need very little in the way of formal qualifications but as a general rule...and in no particular order....

The ability to work on your own AND as part of a team
Good communication skills
The ability to concentrate for long periods of time, even more so when not much is happening
Be able to get to work on time every time
Able to work under pressure

These are just some of the basic qualities employers will look for

E&W Lucas

Established Member
In addition to what has already been suggested:

The ability to learn large amounts of information, and to apply it in a real world context.

Being able follow procedures without fail every single time.

Taking a systematic & organised approach to solving problems (usually trains refusing to do what they should!).

To be able to organise your life around the shifts. You have to make sure you're in a fit state to be there, every time you turn up for work.

Confident in dealing with the public.

Able to take decisions.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Good memory?
Good sense of geography?

I dunno, just the two things I always thought were essential to a train driver :D

Kneedown

Established Member
In addition to the above, the ability to stay calm under pressure, and follow the correct course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.