• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you listen to on the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Earlier today someone mentioned I was very 1980s as I still have a personal DAB radio that I listen to on the train (I am aware that DAB launched in 1995). When asked why I mentioned that it's more stable compared to streaming radio via a mobile phone as trains where I am have an annoying habit of going through mobile blackspots. I also like listening to live radio over podcasts or music.

What do you listen to when on the train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
A Sansa Clip MP3 player. Though now discontinued it offers much better sound quality and ease of use than a mobile phone.

Lewlew

Already downloaded music and podcasts on Spotify. Also use the BBC sounds app to download whole radio shows sometimes.

NewClee153

If it’s a sprinter, the engine. If it’s a short journey, anything from R&B to shoegaze. Otherwise, Bob's Burgers

M&NEJ

In times gone by, the throaty roar of an English Electric type 3, the whine of the traction motors and the song of the turbocharger (head out of the window of course), blending like a symphony of acceleration and speed.

Mat17

Generally anything 60s-90s: pop, punk, post-punk, disco, new wave, dance, mainstream rock, quite varied and eclectic really. However, when the anti-social passengers playing loud music on their phones or if I can hear anything resembling rap music - it gets drowned out by heavy metal.

Skiddaw

I love listening in on other people's conversations especially when they're on their mobiles. It's fascinating to attempt to work out who they're talking to, or what their profession is (if its a work-related call).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Either podcasts or music on my phone. Used to carry a personal FM radio before the days of MP3 players, but not for a long time. Tried a personal DAB but always found the signal to be poor on trains.

Sorry @Neo9320, I use headphones and so don't share with you! :)

Neo9320

Either podcasts or music on my phone. Used to carry a personal FM radio before the days of MP3 players, but not for a long time. Tried a personal DAB but always found the signal to be poor on trains.

Sorry @Neo9320, I use headphones and so don't share with you! :)
I forgive you for being part of the silent minority lol!

Non Multi

Music on FLAC from: Melody Gardot, Ward Thomas, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, Focus, Air, Lemon Jelly, Gregory Porter, Diana Krall, St Germain, Herb Alpert, Ladyhawke, Kacey Musgraves, Supergrass, Daft Punk, Beastie Boys, Röyksopp, Overwerk, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, Belle and Sebastian, Basement Jaxx, Texas, KT Tunstall, Oasis, Blur, The Prodigy, Jamiroquai, Bananarama etc…

Digital Audio Players: Samsung R0 (current "daily driver"), xDuoo X2s, iBasso DX90, iPod shuffle 1st Gen.

Personal cassette stereos: Sony Walkman FX251 and EX550.

I used to listen to podcasts on journeys, but the regular automated PA messages made this too difficult.

nlogax

Established Member
Usually I'm listening to one of half a dozen music playlists but right this minute it's The Rest is Politics podcast with Rory Stewart and Alastair Campbell. Very very good.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Already downloaded music and podcasts on Spotify. Also use the BBC sounds app to download whole radio shows sometimes.
Didn’t the original XC Voyager “entertainment system” simply play a couple of prerecorded BBC shows on a loop? I remember wondering why there was no news on the hour…

thenorthern

Established Member
Didn’t the original XC Voyager “entertainment system” simply play a couple of prerecorded BBC shows on a loop? I remember wondering why there was no news on the hour…

I think the voyagers had Radio 4 live but that was it. Other than that it was mostly pre-recorded Virgin stations on a loop I remember listening to Dick and Dom on it. The Pendolinos I think could get BBC Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4 live.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Other people's phone conversations
Me too, they are usually rather interesting and I enjoy following the discussion and thinking about how the situation being spoken about will pan out or end

eMeS

I'm now quite deaf (otosclerosis), and normally need my hearing aids for any conversation.
If I turn them off (40dB loss in my good ear, and 60dB loss in my less good ear) I can enjoy all manner of peace & quiet! I'm particularly deaf to "pure" tones as used by my once-useful bedside clock-radio-alarm.

johntea

Established Member
I find it quite hard to settle down and put my headphones in until the guard has come down the train for a ticket check for some reason!

Something about thinking it would be rude to have them in whilst my ticket is being checked even though I can set them to transparency mode so can hear the guard perfectly well and I'm always looking over my shoulder just to check if they're coming down or not so I can have my ticket ready and waiting (which is often on my phone / tablet these days)

Starts to become a bit of a problem therefore if the guard never comes down at all unless they've announced they won't be doing so, just one of those mental things where I only feel I can relax once that process is out of the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.