• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you miss from the days of long distance steam travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Off to Skeggy for our annual hols from Derby Friargate. Can still see the smoke drifting across Darley Park as we began our journey, presumably from the B1 upfront. Can't remember much else though...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I remember steam on the GEML, on my way to/from swimming, I used to see many trains in the '50s from mthe steps of the 'iron bridge', - a footbridge from Ilford High Road to Ley Street just by the Plessey Vicarage Lane factory. The bridge went over the main line tracks at the southern end and then across the middle of the Ilford car sheds.
There were several types to see, Britannias on Norwich expresses, Sandringhams on the Clacton trains and quite a few WD 2-8-0 hauled goods trains. The most memorable thing was the smuts and smell of sulphur and hot oil. Unless on a nostalgia trip, I don't miss the aromatic treats now. All the Shenfield and Southend Victoria services were electric by then. I never actually went on a GE line steam hauled train, but did a couple of trips from Barking to Fenchursch St care of BR & ex LMS 2-6-4T locos, and Liverpool St to Chingford behind ex GER 0-6-2T N7s.
The most memorable thing was the smuts and smell of sulphur and hot oil. Unless on a nostalgia trip, I don't miss the aromatic treats now.
I trainspotted a lot at Stratford 1957 onwards, having come across from Woolwich on the (steam-powered) free ferry and then from N Woolwich to Stratford Low level platforms. Later worked (1967-69) at Plessey's in Vicarage Lane but never used that footbridge. But like you never travelled behind steam on the GE main line.

AM9

Veteran Member
Sadly I never rode on any BR steam hauled services even though my family frequently visited Hampshire and Dorset in 1966/67. My Dad was an avid railway modeller but he never seemed to want to travel by train, always preferring to use his car. However I do remember having a picnic in a field in the New Forest close to Beaulieu Road Station in the summer of '66 and seeing a number of Bulleid Pacifics go past. We stayed in Weymouth in July 1967 and my Dad took me to a lineside vantage point to see the last steam Channel Islands Express hauled by 35023 which is a memory I've always kept.

In June 1968 we had a short holiday in the Isle of Wight (my first visit there) and this time we did go by train from Reading via Lymington as my Grandad was providing transport on the Island. If only we had made the trip just two years earlier (and caught the last year of IoW steam). :frown:

Anyway I did experience some 'real' steam haulage in Poland in 1991 which was great fun but I regret so much that I never got the opportunity to ride behind steam on the SWML in its last months.
I had a regular Saturday teenage liaison with a girl from Earlsfield from September 66 to mid 67. I remember steam hauled services rushing past on the fast lines whilst travelling from and to Ilford. I didn't take much notice of them as I had other things on my mind.

Established Member
Cracking idea for a thread. Sadly I have nothing to add (I’m around 30 years too young!) but fascinating reading nonetheless.

Ken H

On Moderation
OK it didn't end with steam, but all the shunting of passenger trains, adding and removing portions, and loco changing. Even joining classic DMU;s together. Used to love watching that as a kid and young man. Never envied the shunter ducking under the buffers to join/separate vehicles, mind.

chorleyjeff

Not sure I miss it as such, but I have vivid memories of the prickly feeling that the seats made on my short-trousered legs in the compartment stock in the Amlwch branch train, circa 1963. I also have a good memory of a big black steam loco at the head of a train of maroon coaches rushing into the platform at the 'big' station - almost certainly Bangor - on a trip to see my Grannie in Hull.

So that's three forum members with actual memories of steam on British Railways; I suspect we will be in a very small minority...
My memories of North Wales steam.
Travelling from Lancashire to LLandudno on a boiling hot day in a non corridor compartment train seemingly stopping at each signal. Awful thirst.
Travelling from LLandudno to LLanberis and return behind class 4 tank engine
Waiting on the crowded platform at Bangor going to Lancashire and my older brother diving into the compartment and laying on the seats until we joined him.
Also lots of spotting trips to Manchester, Liverpool, Hellifield, Cheste, Leeds and elswwhere behing tank engines, Black 5s, Class 4 Standards and class 2 2-6-0s and even an 8P. Also to Leeds and Doncaster while staying at relations near Halifax.
Leisure trips to Fylde Coast, Morecambe, Lakeside, Grange, Windermere etc etc behind everything from 7Ps to 0-6-0 freight locos.

StephenHunter

Established Member
OK it didn't end with steam, but all the shunting of passenger trains, adding and removing portions, and loco changing. Even joining classic DMU;s together. Used to love watching that as a kid and young man. Never envied the shunter ducking under the buffers to join/separate vehicles, mind.
You can still get that at Edinburgh with the Highland Caledonian Sleeper.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Apart from railtours , most of my longest trips involved family holidays. I must have been about 7 or 8 when we went (from St. Helens) to Pwllheli via Liverpool, Chester, Bangor & Afonwen. I have an old notebook including some locos written down (including a GWR "Saint"), but I remember almost nothing about the journey.

About 1960, we went to Torquay - steam all the way from Liverpool, but Warships & (what became) Class 22 had already taken over about half of the West Country passenger work. Could have done a few more branch lines instead of "chasing numbers", but at that time, there were no hints of what Marples & Beeching were going to do.

beardedbrit

Oh gosh, am I in a very small minority now?

All the activity at Taunton west end prior to an Up main line arrival. First in was the Barnstaple, 43xx and three Hawksworth corridors, into the bay. Then the main line train, never certain if it would be a Warship or a Castle, crossing over to the Up Relief platform (which is actually the principal Up platform at Taunton). Arrival from Minehead, a bit late, 41xx and two B-sets, stopped at the gantry, let in by calling on right to behind the express. Pannier tank comes from the shed, then back right across the layout, and pulls the Minehead across the layout. 41xx to shed, Pannier pushes the coaches into the Minehead departure bay, comes back on its own again, does the same with the Barnstaple train, which because of the layout for the arrival bay needs a double shunt both ways to achieve it.

Always something going on.

Down Bristol line express departing a bit late, Taunton crew have just relieved it, Castle plus about 13. Minehead branch train has been waiting for the connection (a concept younger members may need explaining), sets off from the bay in parallel. Old hands on the Castle, passed fireman and passed cleaner (possibly sons of the Castle crew) on the Minehead alongside giving it full welly to outperform them and show their tail lamp by Fairwater bridge, before shutting off. Thumbed noses and other gestures between the crews as they both pass full regulator under the footbridge. Passing small girls on the bridge scream as they are enveloped in the double steam cloud. But not me ...
Only one trip through Taunton in 1957, changing from a London train onto the Minehead branch train, but I do remember the busy station you describe.

Most of our family holiday travel in the '50s from London was electrics on the Southern Region. But I do vividly remember a 1961 holiday in Scotland, when the return journey on the non-stop 'Elizabethan' from Edinburgh was hauled by A4 'Mallard'. The train came to an abrupt halt somewhere near Retford where we stayed for 20-30 minutes - the guard stopped by and told us there had been a broken rail ahead, and we'd be on our way as soon as it was repaired. Once we restarted it was obvious the footplate crew was determined to make up lost time - we ran like a bat out of hell and arrived at Kings Cross just five minutes late!

A wonderful memory of the twilight of steam on the ECML - the Elizabethan was diesel hauled the next year.

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
I did a couple of steam-hauled trips on Wigan/Manchester and Wigan/Southport trains before DMUs totally took over.

As with others, I remember the radiant heat and smell of smoke, steam and hot oil as the locomotive rolled in, but my parents were always in a hurry to get onboard and find seats, so no wandering up the front to look at the engine.

Other memories of the steam era:-
  • The gentle, quiet jerk when the train started to move, possibly accompanied by the sound of chuff chuff chuff from up front if the carriage windows were open. This contrasted unfavourably with the raucous roar and vibration from accelerating underfloor engines of a DMU - which was the alternative haulage on one of these trips.

• Slow acceleration of the steam train, measured by increasing frequency of the clickety-clack of jointed track.
    DMUs picked up speed noticeably faster, but the background noise of the diesel engines made the rhythmic sounds of jointed track less prominent.

• The slow acceleration allowed more time for a careful inspection of the fascinating railway infrastruction passing outside the carriage window - complex, bespoke trackwork, points, crossings, single and double slips at even quite minor locations. Sidings, frequent signal boxes with extensive mechanical signalling, plus all the ground-level ironmongery of rods, cranks and wires that made it work.
    (As I got a little older I was always amazed at the ingenuity of mechanical signalling and how men could design, construct and maintain it so that it all worked properly. I had tried building a very simple (non-interlocking) junction lever frame with my Meccano set and lengths of wire, and this was quite tricky to get to work properly. How did they ever manage at a proper signal box?)

• Once the train got up to speed and was travelling through open countryside, I remember mile after mile of watching the constant dip and rise of several dozen telegraph wires strung onto trackside poles as we sped along.

Harvester

Established Member
I do vividly remember a 1961 holiday in Scotland, when the return journey on the non-stop 'Elizabethan' from Edinburgh was hauled by A4 'Mallard'. The train came to an abrupt halt somewhere near Retford where we stayed for 20-30 minutes - the guard stopped by and told us there had been a broken rail ahead, and we'd be on our way as soon as it was repaired. Once we restarted it was obvious the footplate crew was determined to make up lost time - we ran like a bat out of hell and arrived at Kings Cross just five minutes late!

A wonderful memory of the twilight of steam on the ECML - the Elizabethan was diesel hauled the next year.
The non-stop Elizabethan definitely deserves a mention. It was touch and go whether ‘Mallard’ would be available to participate in the final workings in 1961, as she was outshopped after a general repair in mid August, and not sufficiently run in until the end of the month to be available. However from 2nd September, 60022 did eight return trips to Edinburgh, and with Haymarket’s 60009 saw out the final days of the non-stop. Fortunately both engines have been preserved.

In 1962 a Newcastle stop was inserted on both the up and down trains. IIRC it was due to the crews objecting to spending over six hours inside the noisy cab of a Deltic.

Veteran Member
With hindsight I realise my Dad was enthusiast enough to plan family holidays where there might be steam, and we didn't have a car (he had a licence from WW2 but didn't want to drive). We didn't use rail very much otherwise (always buses or half-day coach tours when we were on holiday), even when we could have.
So once we had outgrown Westgate-on-Sea (conveniently direct from Bromley S) it was first Cromer (very little steam by 1961, but we did return from Norwich to London in a scratch set behind a B1 after a derailment at Ingatestone, and I remember Ipswich troughs and a tiny bit of coal coming through the window.
After that it was New Milton (steam back to Waterloo, and a day trip to Cowes with an S15 on the return stopper from Southampton). With hindsight I'm surprised we went on the 11.30 outward, because it was just about the only D65xx working!
Then it was Shanklin, with O2s and ancient coaches with peculiar layouts, and finally Swanage in 1966, with a memorable run back on the only steam working behind 34040 with 12 on.
A non-steam memory a year or so later is going down to Teignmouth, a signal stop near Somerton, and the white-jacketed waiter from the restaurant car coming along with a pot of coffee and cups "on spec".

Killingworth

Established Member
So many memories. Empty coaches!

Catching the delayed Heart of Midlothian Pullman (KX - Waverley) at Darlington for Newcastle instead of our expected train and my father paying a supplement so we could have afternoon tea. About 1957, it seemed old fashioned even then. That was after arriving from Penrith over Stainmore in another old coach, one of three, probably hauled by an Ivatt 2-6-0 4MT Class.

1966 on the Isle of Wight, being hauled by an ancient 0-4-4 tank engine in another ancient coach.

Summer specials from Newcastle to Scarborough hauled by a V2 2-6-2 of the Green Arrow class in 1961 and 1962. It left the ECML at Pilmoor Junction and dragged across quiet countryside to Malton to avoid York. Musty old coaches with cushions that must have dropped 2 or 3 inches at least when sat on. (They'd stopped by the time summer 1963 came along.)

Of boarding very long trains at York for Newcastle filled with soldiers in uniform with lots of kit going back to Catterick Camp after active service in places like Aden and Cyprus. Again, there were old coaches.

Crossing Rannoch Moor in 1958 and having a three course lunch in a former LNER Gresley articulated dining car - again, old stock.

Wrestling with that leather strap to lower the window and lean out to open the carriage door with the external brass handle..

The last days of steam also marked the end for many thousand hard worked coaches. But thinking back to all the journeys above, and many others from that time, there was another fact about the coaches apart from their age. Other than the trains full of troops on the ECML they were nearly all almost empty. Lots of old rolling stock to maintain for just a few journeys a year when they might carry a lot of passengers. A fact that Dr Beeching's report identified very clearly.

John Webb

Established Member
I recall a friend of mine recounting a tale of how, heading northwards from Kings Cross in the 1950s, he'd gone to see what loco was pulling the train, and was invited onto the footplate by the driver. Before long the train departed and he was worried his parents would wonder what had happened to him! He was ushered back to the train through the tender corridor and then had a hard job convincing his parents he'd been on the footplate.

When I heard the story, I dug out my copy of P W B Semmens biography "Bill Hoole - Engineman Extraordinary" and showed it to him - he was certain that it was indeed Bill Hoole who'd invited him onto the footplate of "Dwight D Eisenhower"!

Sitting in a compartment when we went on our summer holidays, and sticking my face out of the open window looking for the first sight of the sea, while trying not to get a smut in my eye (not always successful). To be honest, we never went on any long-distance train journeys, just stayed in the north of England - Llandudno, Scarborough, Chester (had an aunt who was a station announcer at Chester Station). I remember the smoke and the constant bustle while waiting at Manchester Victoria for our connection, really exciting for a little kid.

EveningStar

Cracking idea for a thread. Sadly I have nothing to add (I’m around 30 years too young!) but fascinating reading nonetheless.
Totally agree, cracking idea for a thread to which I also sadly cannot add. Tantalising so, as born Western Region 1963 am told I saw steam yet it was just outside of my personal memory.

matchmaker

Established Member
A few more memories of the early 1960s. Growing up in the West End of Glasgow I could experience:

Electric - Blue Train to Queen Street Low Level
Diesel - Swindon Inter City DMU from Queen Street High Level to Waverley
Steam - A4 on a Buchanan Street to Aberdeen 3 hour express

nw1

Established Member
(A "couple" more than three now, since @Shimbleshanks 's post made :smile:.)

I suspect that "very small minority", overstates the case somewhat. With BR regular-everyday steam having finished in 1968: anyone aged sixty or over (which is nowadays very far from being in one's dotage) is likely to have coherent memories of said scene -- varying to some extent, according to where in GB they happened to live / visit. Encompassing a minority of members, sure; but I would reckon, not such a tiny one as all that !
It depends where you were in the country and at what age you started using the train: someone 60 now would have been born in 1961 (which is a frightening statement in itself) so they would have had to a) been interested in trains aged 6 or 7 and b) live somewhere that they still existed; I doubt 6- or 7-year olds would be wandering round the network on their own searching out steam. 11- or 12-year olds perhaps, but not 6 or 7.

To give a similar example: I have no memory of Deltics (apart from in the late nineties, when Royal Scots Grey did Virgin jobs occasionally) yet Deltics survived a while beyond my seventh birthday. 4-SUBs lasted slightly later than Deltics but my memories of them are restricted to one service train seen in twilight from a distance, and a few empties at the time they were scrapped.

Conversely, while I'd say 65 is perhaps more accurate as a cut-off age for remembering steam, that would still include quite a few forum members I suspect - so it's definitely a valid subject to discuss!

Killingworth

Established Member
It depends where you were in the country and at what age you started using the train: someone 60 now would have been born in 1961 (which is a frightening statement in itself) so they would have had to a) been interested in trains aged 6 or 7 and b) live somewhere that they still existed; I doubt 6- or 7-year olds would be wandering round the network on their own searching out steam. 11- or 12-year olds perhaps, but not 6 or 7.

To give a similar example: I have no memory of Deltics (apart from in the late nineties, when Royal Scots Grey did Virgin jobs occasionally) yet Deltics survived a while beyond my seventh birthday. 4-SUBs lasted slightly later than Deltics but my memories of them are restricted to one service train seen in twilight from a distance, and a few empties at the time they were scrapped.

Conversely, while I'd say 65 is perhaps more accurate as a cut-off age for remembering steam, that would still include quite a few forum members I suspect - so it's definitely a valid subject to discuss!
Deltics, ah yes, I remember them, very modern after the 40s which started after my active spotting days when I'd got into photography instead.

Telegraph wires along the tracks, masses of them.

img035.jpgimg007.jpg
t

DerekC

Established Member
Not long distance travel exactly, but standing with my mum on the suburban platforms at Kings Cross watching an N2 (probably) come up off the City Widened Lines with what seemed like a long train of cattle trucks, with protesting moos as accompaniment. Then (it might have been the same or another day) catching our train to Enfield Chase and it pulling out at exactly the same moment as "The Talisman". Our N2 with a couple of quad arts making speed a lot quicker than the express, and somewhere in the depths of Gasworks or Copenhagen Tunnels, catching up 60055 "Woolwinder" - slowly passing the length of her with the glow from the firedoor and the 6ft 6in drivers going round in the dim light from our carriage window. My mum said I was so excited she had to hold on to my belt to stop me falling out, but I don't believe that! We stayed ahead until slowing for Finsbury Park, at which point "Woolwinder" roared contemptuously past - first stop Newcastle, maybe?

Veteran Member
Yes, sad days at the end of steam.
...though before that a pacific was the regular engine for 266 down express goods from Kings Cross to Edinburgh.
The A4 is carrying class C lamps so it is a fully-fitted parcels (possibly an express freight, depending on the year as lamp codes changed.

Killingworth

Established Member
...though before that a pacific was the regular engine for 266 down express goods from Kings Cross to Edinburgh.
The A4 is carrying class C lamps so it is a fully-fitted parcels (possibly an express freight, depending on the year as lamp codes changed.

First 2 were XP 4 wheel vans.

Harvester

Established Member
Another rundown sad looking A4. I caught 60008 on one it’s last duties before withdrawal, on parcel vans at Northallerton on 6th July 1963.

Attachments

• 6C7A302F-2721-4CA9-A250-4D7C6196F8C9.jpeg
    6C7A302F-2721-4CA9-A250-4D7C6196F8C9.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 51

Calthrop

Established Member

I was probably being a bit "optimistic" figures-wise: have to agree with you that a realistic estimate re most people, is nearer 65 than 61. Though in my view, one doesn't need actually to be a "card-carrying" enthusiast for something; to perhaps find the experience of it, striking / memorable. I have little doubt that very many folk did see steam in action in the ordinary course of the first years of their lives -- so long as they didn't live in an area which had been devoid of it from unusually early -- but with few exceptions, people have effectively no conscious memories from their very first years.

On this general scene, my mind goes to a fellow-railfan with whom I used to be acquainted. He was born in 1962; and had a genuine first-hand memory of being at Waterloo with his parents in the last year or so of steam; and being lifted into the cab of a Bulleid Pacific there (well, he wouldn't have known the type at the time ! -- but his father had some interest in the rail scene, and had told him subsequently that that's the kind of loco that it was). It occurs to me that this chap might be a candidate for the future distinction of the very last person alive, with truly first-hand memory of BR steam; it's not impossible even, that he might live to the age of 106, with his mental faculties still good: that would be a hundred years after steam's finishing in regular service !

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
My earliest memory is visiting South Wales in the Summer of 1947 for a brief family holiday - I was around 18-19 months old. I can remember being in a pushchair being wheeled down off a fairly basic platform and passing the loco at ground level as we left the station. In my teens I realised it was probably a GWR pannier tank of some sort.

nw1

Established Member
I was probably being a bit "optimistic" figures-wise: have to agree with you that a realistic estimate re most people, is nearer 65 than 61. Though in my view, one doesn't need actually to be a "card-carrying" enthusiast for something; to perhaps find the experience of it, striking / memorable. I have little doubt that very many folk did see steam in action in the ordinary course of the first years of their lives -- so long as they didn't live in an area which had been devoid of it from unusually early -- but with few exceptions, people have effectively no conscious memories from their very first years.
Yes, you're probably right there, a steam engine would make a particular impression from an early age even if you weren't an enthusiast.

I must have travelled on 304s in the very early years of my life (in the sense that aged 4 or 5, I used the train on a line which I later, aged 11 or so, learnt used 304s), but had no idea that it was a 304. However, a 304 isn't quite as memorable as a steam engine (even though these days classic EMUs produce the same feelings of nostalgia for many in my generation!) so if the line in question had still used steam when I was 4 or 5, then yes I would have remembered it. So fair point :)

WesternLancer

Established Member
Not long distance travel exactly, but standing with my mum on the suburban platforms at Kings Cross watching an N2 (probably) come up off the City Widened Lines with what seemed like a long train of cattle trucks, with protesting moos as accompaniment. Then (it might have been the same or another day) catching our train to Enfield Chase and it pulling out at exactly the same moment as "The Talisman". Our N2 with a couple of quad arts making speed a lot quicker than the express, and somewhere in the depths of Gasworks or Copenhagen Tunnels, catching up 60055 "Woolwinder" - slowly passing the length of her with the glow from the firedoor and the 6ft 6in drivers going round in the dim light from our carriage window. My mum said I was so excited she had to hold on to my belt to stop me falling out, but I don't believe that! We stayed ahead until slowing for Finsbury Park, at which point "Woolwinder" roared contemptuously past - first stop Newcastle, maybe?
Nicely written! I can almost imagine myself in the carriage with you.

I'm pretty sure I saw a careful had on that belt...:lol:

mike57

Established Member
I was fortunate enough to have a couple of trips to Bournemouth from London behind Merchant Navy class pacifics when I was 8 or 9. One of them was the Bournmouth Belle. Memories are bit Hazy, it was over 50 years ago, but I found one rather poor quality transparency in the collection of pictures that I inherited. I think the thing I miss is the abilty to get a proper meal, served on china plates with real knives and forks, and tea out of a tea pot, but of course this carried on well past the end of steam. Also the individual compartments with a side corridor, much more relaxing on a long journey. Being born in South London just about everything else was electric, and had been for years, also travelled on the Brighton Belle as a youngster, we had relatives in Hove. The only other time I would have travelled on BR steam would have been on a trip to the Isle of Wight, again mid 60's but recollections are a bit more hazy, although again I found a picture. I didnt start to visit Yorkshire regularly until 1967 and by that time all the trains were diesel

Attachments

• DSC_0123a_1639585169193_1.JPG
    DSC_0123a_1639585169193_1.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0127_1639585897111_1.JPG
    DSC_0127_1639585897111_1.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.