• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does a Passenger Host do? GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
Never been involved as railway staff but as I have a redundancy coming up in the new year I have applied. I can see some other threads mention revenue protection, the job page also mentioned this but the term "passenger host" is a bit ambiguous and sounds like just standing around greeting passengers, helping disabled off trains etc.

Do we have any GTR passenger hosts here that can share more info on what the job entails? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Javelin_55

A passenger host is primarily a revenue job. I believe they're based at stations and will hop on/off different services around their home depot, checking tickets and giving customers information. I've most frequently seen them on the Hertford Loop which makes sense from a revenue perspective as most stations there have no gateline.

I remember seeing a few adverts for them in the recent past and can't recall seeing anything about helping people on/off trains, so I suspect they hold no operational competency.

stadler

Never been involved as railway staff but as I have a redundancy coming up in the new year I have applied. I can see some other threads mention revenue protection, the job page also mentioned this but the term "passenger host" is a bit ambiguous and sounds like just standing around greeting passengers, helping disabled off trains etc.

Do we have any GTR passenger hosts here that can share more info on what the job entails? Thanks
Passenger Hosts are simply just Revenue Protection Inspectors renamed. Great Northern and Thameslink renamed their Revenue Protection Inspectors to Passenger Hosts back in 2016. Their job is just checking tickets and issuing penalty fares and reporting prople for prosecution.

Status
Not open for further replies.