• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does this sign mean?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

simonw

As It shows a hand holding something I take It that means don't try using the shelf to place your hand to stop yourself falling over.

Trainman40083

I'm disappointed. I thought someone might say, don't touch the 25kv OHLE, cos it won't end well. But as someone said, if people don't know what it means, what is the value?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As It shows a hand holding something I take It that means don't try using the shelf to place your hand to stop yourself falling over.
Is it the top of the door, not a shelf? So if you hold it there while closing the door it’s going to take your fingers off?

simonw

Is it the top of the door, not a shelf? So if you hold it there while closing the door it’s going to take your fingers off?
I don't know, the picture wasn't very clear.

Possibly not so self-explanatory then? :s

Reckon @DaleCooper makes a valid point.
As I say, there is always going to be some people. What percentage of the population could identify the meaning of all road signs in this country?

How would you redraw the sign to indicate that people shouldn't try and 'hang' from that part of the carriage?

skyhigh

Established Member
It's the top of the door between First and Standard class. But there is a big gap around the door to allow the fire system to extract smoke from the compartment if required.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't know, the picture wasn't very clear.
I agree, the original photo having no explanation of what or where it was didn’t help either. But as @skyhigh has just explained it is the first class door then we seem to have the full explanation now.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As I say, there is always going to be some people.
When more people, quite possibly, don't know what the warning sign is intended to mean, than actually do know, then I would suggest that the sign is vague/unclear and isn't doing a particularly effective job.

simonw

When more people, quite possibly, don't know what the warning sign is intended to mean, than actually do know, then I would suggest that the sign is vague/unclear and isn't doing a particularly effective job.
I'd agree, but there is so far no evidence that 'more people' don't know.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'd agree, but there is so far no evidence that 'more people' don't know.
Nor, to be fair, and by the same logic, is there any evidence to the contrary. Certainly the OP didn't know, or they quite probably wouldn't have created the thread.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A pictogram of a hand crossed out would indicate "do not touch", which would serve the same purpose and be much clearer. That pictogram is used on the saloon doors of 158s where there is a risk of trapping if someone has their hand against it when it opens.

zephyr6

Apologies to all. The image was taken this morning, 27/3/24, within an Elizabeth Line train by a family member who posted it on a family chat group querying what it meant. I don't know how to edit my original post.
I also don't seem able to reply to the moderator who pointed out the error of my ways.

Z6

skyhigh

Established Member
Apologies to all. The image was taken this morning, 27/3/24, within an Elizabeth Line train by a family member who posted it on a family chat group querying what it meant. I don't know how to edit my original post.
I also don't seem able to reply to the moderator who pointed out the error of my ways.

Z6
That's definitely not an Elizabeth line train in the photo.

simonw

Z6
On your post on the left hand side you should see the word edit, next to the word report. Pressing edit should allow you to edit it.

Deepgreen

Established Member
While some may see it as obvious, I imagine most people would either not understand it, or even notice it anyway. It is not fit for purpose as it is small and not a sign that is seen generally and therefore will be new to the majority of people. I imagine it is almost completely ineffective.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
While some may see it as obvious, I imagine most people would either not understand it, or even notice it anyway. It is not fit for purpose as it is small and not a sign that is seen generally and therefore will be new to the majority of people. I imagine it is almost completely ineffective.
Indeed. Some box-ticking risk assessment exercise will, however, quite probably have been undertaken so that the "risk" (whatever it actually is) can then be deemed to have been adequately mitigated by the warning sign having being put in place.

zephyr6

If you are logged in, and looking at a post you posted yourself, it will say "Edit" just to the right of "Report".
I have 3 little dots followed by a down arrow which then gives me the option to edit. Thanks for your help. Z6

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I have 3 little dots followed by a down arrow which then gives me the option to edit. Thanks for your help. Z6
+
Very odd, I just get the word "Edit", no dots or arrow.
Using a small screen perhaps ?.

As for the sign - no its not clear. I sat in first class on quite a few journeys puzzling the purpose of that sign. It did not appear like a hand over the top of a door - but then I cannot think of a time I have put my hand on the top of a door except when fitting, altering or removing a door (not that I do this on trains). Once I got to know what it meant it seems meaningful - but then it still also looks like one is not allowed to hold an automatic rifle above ones head.

The gap between door top and the frame above on the sign is greater than the real gap which does not help make it clear. I think what would be clearer is a line of black/yellow triangles all along the top of the door and the frame next to it. Also if the door was open and one was leaning on the frame when the train is crowded the door closing would get you and the sign does not mention that !.

To be fair the difference between these doors and other doors is there is a good gap either side so someone might be lulled into thinking it was also safe at the top - long shot.

Its actually not a warning sign (triangle) it is more an INSTRUCTION (circle) with FORBIDDEN (diagonal red line). But I feel sure it was put there to obviate liability if someone does decide to hold the door by the top.