• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What equipment do you use to help with the job (conductor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherlyguard

I have just began with a TOC in the North for a Conductor role and I've noticed some conductors who have their own equipment to help them do things on the job.

I'm wanting to know what you use to help make your job and life easier whilst working. As an example, in my previous role I had a torch holder on my belt, and my keys attached to a carabiner that was attached to my belt loop.

With revenue we have bum bags, but these are quite a hassle to use so does anyone have recommendations for these? The slings we have for our revenue equipment and body cams are also a pain to use so alternatives to these would be great too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L401CJF

Established Member
Recently started as a conductor myself at another TOC. Used to be a bus driver so used to having a coin dispenser and thought using the bum bag would be a hassle. However I've since worked out a system to organise my change properly. Now I'm used to it I'm quite happy with the bum bag!

I keep silver in the main compartment, notes in front compartment along with any non-issues, and £1/£2 coins in my trouser pocket.

Only thing I have bought myself is a leather hand stitched T Key belt holder off ebay as the company issue one fell to bits quite quickly.

DM1994

I'm the opposite, I've always kept what I needed minimal and I feel people over complicate it.
I've been a guard for 5 years, I keep a pen in my shirt pocket with my diagram. I keep a bag of change in my back pocket, my keys in my right pocket and my phone in my left and I don't tend to ever run into any major trouble. Sometimes a bit fiddly getting change but it's mainly card transactions over my way. I just sling the machine over my shoulder when I'm about the train.

Undiscovered

My door keys are on a belt clip, which I used to use all the time but now there in my pocket.
T key has a strap around to keep it safe in my hand when doing local doors.
Company phone goes in a belt pouch, as it's stupidly big and chunky, yet surprisingly fragile

Busyboy89

All good solid advice, back when I was a guard, I was told on my first week always carry 2 T keys on you at all times. I fell foul of this many times btw :). I suppose it does matter what traction you are working. But not just in case you drop your Tkey trackside but I worked on 153s, 156 and 158s and it was easy with them damn cab doors to get locked out or the door to shut across shutting out the drivers seat and then you’d realise your Tkey is on the desk :)

weatherlyguard

Thanks all, keep the ideas coming

I'm the opposite, I've always kept what I needed minimal and I feel people over complicate it.
I've been a guard for 5 years, I keep a pen in my shirt pocket with my diagram. I keep a bag of change in my back pocket, my keys in my right pocket and my phone in my left and I don't tend to ever run into any major trouble. Sometimes a bit fiddly getting change but it's mainly card transactions over my way. I just sling the machine over my shoulder when I'm about the train.
For me it's mainly been cash, but the idea of keeping it in your pocket in a money bag or similar is probably worth me trying. £10 in loose coins, and a couple £5 notes would probably be enough and if I was running low I'll just tell them it's card only

Fokx

Highlighters are your best friend when it comes to dockets. I have double ended two-colour ones in my bag which I use to highlight any irregularities such as unusual calling patterns, extended layover time or timing points that might catch me out.

Most of the fares I take are card/contactless. I keep a small amount of change in my machine holder (>£13), and stow the rest of my float in a small drawstring washbag in the cab, which is really easy for throwing in lots of coins or high value notes between stations.

I keep my whistle on a small carabiner that easily clips onto/off my lanyard when required. I take it off on quieter services and clip it to my bag and clip it on my lanyard for busier services/stations when it becomes a useful dispatch tool.

I’ve also developed ‘quirks’ when it comes to equipment which I find quite handy. For example my green dispatch flag I tie firmly around the top handle of my TOC bag, along side my red flag so I instantly know that I both have them in my possession and for quick easy access. (I also remove my watch and attach it to the same handle between shifts).

REO Nate

I like to carry a small battery pack and multi phone charger cable. The number of people who claim their phone battery has died, so they can’t show their e-ticket is unbelievable. On production of the charger a lot suddenly want to buy a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.