• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is ‘Valley Nuclear Electric’?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Even though it is out of use there is a decommissioning and defueling stage so will likely be a Nuclear flask working.

Caboose Class

I have just come across a service from Crewe to Valley Nuclear Electric. Now, I am aware that Valley is an RAF base but the only Nuclear Power station on Anglesey is the now defunct one at Wyllfa.
So, what is the train:> https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H04811/2022-01-27/detailed
Wylfa was shut down in December 2015. Defuelling started in 2016, and was completed by 2019. Defuelling and removal of most buildings is expected to take until 2025, followed by a care and maintenance phase from 2025 to 2096. Demolition of reactor buildings and final site clearance is planned for 2096 to 2101. One presumes that the train is taking away scrap metal / building materials.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just goes to show what a problem it is decommissioning these old nuclear power stations if the site won’t be finally clear until 2101.
One of the reasons it makes sense to reuse the location of current nuclear power stations for new ones. Contains the issue to pre-existing sites!

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
One of the reasons it makes sense to reuse the location of current nuclear power stations for new ones. Contains the issue to pre-existing sites!

After the 1986 Trawsfynydd nuclear disaster I'm not sure we want any more Nuclear here in North Wales!!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
After the 1986 Trawsfynydd nuclear disaster I'm not sure we want any more Nuclear here in North Wales!!
I can understand that! But a Magnox reactor built in the 1960s based on a design from the 1950s is a very different beast to a modern boiling or pressurised water reactor and I speak as someone who can see a nuclear power station from the hill out the back of where I live ;)

DaveTM

What "1986 Trawsfynydd nuclear disaster"?

If I google "1986 Trawsfynydd nuclear", the only references to anything happening at Trawsfynydd in 1986 relate to a release of carbon dioxide gas (used as a coolant, never in contact with uranium or its decay products). For example, here is a note in Hansard (https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...bae-b8fb-bb66c9bf55d6/TrawsfynyddPowerStation). Reading further into the incident, the total radioactivity of the gas released was much less than that of the radon which naturally drifts up to the surface each day in Cornwall from underlying granite bedrock.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
What "1986 Trawsfynydd nuclear disaster"?

If I google "1986 Trawsfynydd nuclear", the only references to anything happening at Trawsfynydd in 1986 relate to a release of carbon dioxide gas (used as a coolant, never in contact with uranium or its decay products). For example, here is a note in Hansard (https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...bae-b8fb-bb66c9bf55d6/TrawsfynyddPowerStation). Reading further into the incident, the total radioactivity of the gas released was much less than that of the radon which naturally drifts up to the surface each day in Cornwall from underlying granite bedrock.
I should have been more clear there was a leak that was understated and reported as minor at the time and subsequently was found to be more serious but in the same year Chernobyl rained down on the same are around Trawsfynydd and decimated livelihoods and put an end to all farming in the area for over 20 years and is still strictly monitored and checked. The area came to a grinding halt virtually over night.

najaB

Veteran Member
Just goes to show what a problem it is decommissioning these old nuclear power stations if the site won’t be finally clear until 2101.
As @ainsworth74 said, all the more reason to build new reactors on the same sites as old ones. Though, most of the site could be returned to other uses as soon as 2025 - it's only the reactor buildings that will be 'hot' for an extended period.

hwl

Established Member
I can understand that! But a Magnox reactor built in the 1960s based on a design from the 1950s is a very different beast to a modern boiling or pressurised water reactor and I speak as someone who can see a nuclear power station from the hill out the back of where I live ;)
The key magnox design decisions were all taken in 1946 and 47 before they though about waste resulting in ~50x the volumes of waste material compared to a current design.

TheEdge

Established Member
I should have been more clear there was a leak that was understated and reported as minor at the time and subsequently was found to be more serious but in the same year Chernobyl rained down on the same are around Trawsfynydd and decimated livelihoods and put an end to all farming in the area for over 20 years and is still strictly monitored and checked. The area came to a grinding halt virtually over night.

Do you have any actual proof of the "truth" of this incident because much like @DaveTM I can't find anything suggesting this was quite the disaster you claim.

This does seem conspiracy like to me. Are you suggesting that more radiation was released than was admitted to and you are suggesting that the Cherynobyl incident fallout was used to cover up contamination of Welsh countryside quite literally.

If we don't build more Nuclear then quite possibly the very contaminated hills coastline and inshore sea will be covered in wind turbines.

D6975

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.