• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is going on with the Reading to Waterloo line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark J

For as long as I can remember now, there has rarely been a proper service on the Reading to Waterloo line on a Sunday due to engineering works - although the odd Saturday has also been affected.

Either trains diverted at Virginia Water, or Twickenham. Or rail replacement buses between Reading and Wokingham/Bracknell, or Bracknell/Ascot and Staines.

I'm just wondering what the reasoning is behind this, and when the regular service (stopping at Richmond and Putney) will be the norm again. It is all well and good diverting trains, however it adds a fair bit extra to an already long Journey.

Yesterday it took two hours to get to Waterloo via Kingston and Wimbledon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mark J

If you had known about cancellations/diversions, couldn't you have taken the Elizabeth line + Bakerloo?
No.

I use the Sunday out ticket as it is cheaper than using the Elizabeth line.

Besides, I'm wondering why the line seems to be closed somewhere nearly every Sunday.

I can understand Engineering works need to be done. However, not nearly every Sunday for well over a year.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
No.

Besides, I'm wondering why the line seems to be closed somewhere nearly every Sunday.

I can understand Engineering works need to be done. However, not nearly every Sunday for well over a year.

The Line is currently being Resignalled.

Farigiraf

No.

Got it.
Line is being resignalled

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The line has been resignalled, so the frequency of Sunday closures will reduce from now on.

Mark J

The line has been resignalled, so the frequency of Sunday closures will reduce from now on.
Will the resignalling works increase line speed. I know there were ideas floating around at one point to increase speeds in places.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Will the resignalling works increase line speed. I know there were ideas floating around at one point to increase speeds in places.
With frequent stops and awkward curves is there any benefit of a change in headline linespeed? It isn't as if there is any chance of trains cutting out stops.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

The works aren’t finished yet. The re-signalling works continue. Two signal boxes on the route are being replaced and only the first one (Feltham) has been renewed so far, Wokingham is still to be replaced with commissioning to the ROC early next year.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The works aren’t finished yet. The re-signalling works continue. Two signal boxes on the route are being replaced and only the first one (Feltham) has been renewed so far, Wokingham is still to be replaced with commissioning to the ROC early next year.

Quite right, apologies!
But not long to go now.

Status
Not open for further replies.