• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the best refrub yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike342

On Moderation
what is the best refrub by train what class and what operator:D the best i think was the 155s lovely units

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm not sure that I've heard about these "ref-rubs" of which you speak, but as far as their similarly spelt neighbours, refurbishments, go, then the Northern Spirit refurb of the 156s was truly superb. When it was a bit fresher, mind, some of those units are looking a little more woe begotten now, which is a shame.

In the same way that it is difficult to objectively select a best TOC because of the wide diversity of routes and passenger markets they serve, it is also difficult to select a single best rolling stock refurbishment, due to the diverse number of different criteria that different refurbs are expected to meet.

I think, therefore, that refurbishment types can be broken down into three basic categories; Long distance, regional and commuter/short distance. I haven't been able to select just one single example for each category, so here are my nominations:

1. Intercity
In first place would be Wrexham & Shropshire's mark 3 refurbishment. If the league table of refurbishment standards throughout the categories is based on the standards of comfort and quality offered to the passenger, then the W&S refurb should top the table.

Following very close behind would be GNERs "Mallard" refurbishment of its mark 3 and mark 4 stock, and also following closely behind this would be BRs 1980s refurbishment of it's mark 3s.

2. Regional
A contest between Northern Spirits 156s, the EMT 158s and Arriva Trains Wales 158s.

3. Commuter/short distance
SWT 455s, Southern's 313s and ATWs Pacers and 150s.

At no stage do the 155s come anywhere near the upper ranks. They're the poor relation of the Super Sprinter classes, that pale into insignificance when compared against the far superior class 156, and they're fitted with those god awful, uncomfortable Chapman seats.

richw

Veteran Member
I'm a rugby 'ref' and like a good 'rub' down afterwards from the wife. I suppose that would be a refrub!

Favourite stock refurb fgw hsts very smart and comfortable in my opinion!

Robinson

Southern 313s get my vote. Having used them several times this year I have been very impressed.

A close second would be the 455s (both operators).

BestWestern

Established Member
Sprinterguy mentions EMT's 158 fleet, I'd have to add that their SWT cousins were the 'forerunners' of that refurb, and I'm led to believe were done to a better standard in terms of the mechanical aspects.

ushawk

Established Member
Either the SWT 455s or the Southern 313s - both refurbished to a very good standard.

bronzeonion

Chiltern Railways - Class 165

Interiors look very modern still, air-conditioning installed, carried new train smell for a good few years after refurbishment showing it must be of good quality and still managed to keep original Networker interior features such as the very smart glass/grab pole bit by the vestibules on the ends of the seating areas.

The SWT 455s are excellent; but so are the 156s and 153s from EMT. Must say that the Mk3s with Chiltern are superb.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I can't really narrow it down from EMT's Sprinters, WSMR Mk3s and FGW HSTs (yes, I do love the seats!). All in my eyes are very good jobs, and a joy to travel on.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I'd put the FGW HST's at the top of the list by miles, I know it may be unpopular with some people, but this is coming from someone who used to get the NXEA MK3's for years which must be the worst refurbishment.

507 001

Established Member
Merseyrail's class 507's and 508's were much more comprehensively refurbed than southerns 313's and swt's 455's.
The difference between the old interiors and the new ones is simply stunning!
Atw's 158s are nice too

SF-02

I have always liked using FGW HST refurbs. Found them comfortable and pleasant. The lighting is a bit harsh but I love the colour scheme. Southern also did a good job with 313s.

Worst must be southeastern on 465/66. A blink and you miss it nothing job which looked as bad as it did before within a month. Apart from some seat covers not sure what was done. Like the rest of their franchise, the govt allowed them to invest next to nothing in non HS stock, offer hardly any special offers, but receive the highest fare increases anywhere in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.