• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the earliest year with a comprehensive record of fares data?

All Line Rover

Established Member
I am looking to collate a record of historical fares data for selected journeys, going back to the 1990s/80s/70s. I want both pricing information and, where applicable, time and route restrictions.

I am aware that electronic fares data is available back to the 2000s. Going further back than that, I presume that the data can only be accessed in hard copy?

What is such hard copy data/book(s) called, which locations hold publicly accessible copies, and what is the earliest year for which such data is available?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I am looking to collate a record of historical fares data for selected journeys, going back to the 1990s/80s/70s. I want both pricing information and, where applicable, time and route restrictions.

I am aware that electronic fares data is available back to the 2000s. Going further back than that, I presume that the data can only be accessed in hard copy?

What is such hard copy data/book(s) called, which locations hold publicly accessible copies, and what is the earliest year for which such data is available?
Fares manuals and similar are probably held in the National Archives in Kew and the NRM Archives in York I'd imagine.

They both hold a wide variety of railway material from all eras.

A query to either may solicit whether the hold such documents for viewing, I don't believe either offers much online to view sadly.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Occasionally, old copies of the National Fares Manual (= "NFM") sometimes come up for sale on second hand booksellers' websites. Usually they came in multi-part regional sets, one for the South, one for the North West, etc., and they were massive things - easily as big as the old BT/GPO telephone directories.

NFM 31 was circa mid 1985 and there tended to be maybe at least three revisions in most calendar years.

The last ones issued in paper form were NFM98 in early 2008.

Good luck in your search!