• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What rolling stock could be used on East West Rail (EWR) when the line is completed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cle

Established Member
If it isn't being wired (stupid), it might be this much-questioned future home for 222s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mollman

Established Member
If they rush it too much will there be trains available to use it?
It is meant to be using some of the 2-car 196s destined for WMR. The sublease seems to have been agreed but there again no 196s have entered revenue earning traffic yet.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If it isn't being wired (stupid), it might be this much-questioned future home for 222s.
They’d still be total overkill on such a slow route. Can you really see them on the Bletchley to Bedford section eventually?

MarkRedon

I tried to see what the planned ruling linespeed on Bletchley to Bedford will be on the assumption that the rationalised, reduced number of stations, approach is taken. I couldn't find a number, but sincerely hope that it comfortably exceeds 60 mph / near 100 kph given the significant upgrade implied by consultation documents. In any event, Bedford to Cambridge should be around 100 mph / 160 kph. This suggests a role either for high-performance diesel stock or a change of heart towards bimode and electrification of the new-build route - hardly unreasonable in 2030 timescales, surely?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I tried to see what the planned ruling linespeed on Bletchley to Bedford will be on the assumption that the rationalised, reduced number of stations, approach is taken. I couldn't find a number, but sincerely hope that it comfortably exceeds 60 mph / near 100 kph given the significant upgrade implied by consultation documents. In any event, Bedford to Cambridge should be around 100 mph / 160 kph. This suggests a role either for high-performance diesel stock or a change of heart towards bimode and electrification of the new-build route - hardly unreasonable in 2030 timescales, surely?
There are no line speed improvements to the Bletchley Bedford section in the current project though, it stays 60 mph.

cle

Established Member
There are no line speed improvements to the Bletchley Bedford section in the current project though, it stays 60 mph.
I remember the 40->60 upgrade not to long back. I'm confident this will come back to the agenda, with some station/LC closures. It's pretty tight and windy in parts though.

MarkLong

It is meant to be using some of the 2-car 196s destined for WMR. The sublease seems to have been agreed but there again no 196s have entered revenue earning traffic yet.
Alstom planning to built Hydrogen trains in 2025, maybe it has a good chance to use on EWR

A0wen

On Moderation

No. Totally unsuitable for a multitude of reasons.

Expect a 1/3, 2/3 door DMU of some description with a top speed of 100 mph. Probably depends on what's available nearer the time.

The only logical place for the 222s would be Cross Country or perhaps Scotrail.

A0wen

On Moderation
Do you not think they are a bit too "CO2 producing per tonne" to be politically acceptable in Scotland?

Possibly - but since the Scot Gov is going to the be the only place in the UK running knackered HSTs, something newer, with better crash resistance might be a way forward and the 222s would meet that.

Ex-controller

I do think 222s would be a good stop gap if Transport Scotland finally give in with the HSTs, and the new Cadder servicing depot might help as it means a dedicated stabling point, but the issue I think remains underfloor engines on long distance routes - this despite the fact that 170s regularly appear anyway.

leytongabriel

I do think 222s would be a good stop gap if Transport Scotland finally give in with the HSTs, and the new Cadder servicing depot might help as it means a dedicated stabling point, but the issue I think remains underfloor engines on long distance routes - this despite the fact that 170s regularly appear anywa

Absolutely, get in the 'wrong' seats on some long dmu journeys and you feel like you are in a time-warp throb rattle throb.

NSE

Established Member
Could they (222’s) not replace GWR stock? Again, they have the castle sets of HSTs (unless they’re going?) and I think they’d work along the Cornish mainline. Unless gauging issues knock them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.