• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Stations are good to spend the night in ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffman82

After reading the thread 'What's Birmingham New Street like to spend the night at?' Has made me wonder what stations would be the best to spend the night at.

Myself i have spend the night at Holyhead after coming back on the night ferry and the first train with a connection to Liverpool wasn't till 5am i had a nice 4 hour kip on the benches there and it may of not been comfortable but at least it was warm and covered.

Your Thoughts ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Never been told i couldnt stay overnight at swansea well, not really overnight as i had arrived at about 2am on the last hst down from Bridgend and i had booked to travel on the 03:30 service to London paddington. It certainly saved me £13 from not having to get a taxi into bridgend at 03:00 in the morning.

I am not sure if you could really do the same at Carmarthen station though. I know Bristol TM would be a good station to stay overnight at if they didnt close the station between 02:00 and 04:15. Exeter st davids might be ok not sure if it is open all night or if they shut it from an hour or so after the sleeper to Penzance has departed.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Exeter st davids might be ok not sure if it is open all night or if they shut it from an hour or so after the sleeper to Penzance has departed.

I am fairly sure that this has come up before, and it was confirmed that it is closed between 0130 and 0400 or so.

wintonian

Established Member
After reading the thread 'What's Birmingham New Street like to spend the night at?' Has made me wonder what stations would be the best to spend the night at.

Myself i have spend the night at Holyhead after coming back on the night ferry and the first train with a connection to Liverpool wasn't till 5am i had a nice 4 hour kip on the benches there and it may of not been comfortable but at least it was warm and covered.

Your Thoughts ?

You lucky thing whenever I have got off the ferry all the benches have been taken.

At least the coffee shop is open untill the last passenger's have ordered.

Chester looks nice I dont know if it is open at night though.

Gatwick or Manchester Airport possibly, thinking about facilities and genral feeling of safety.

richw

Veteran Member
i spent a night waiting at gatwick for train to reading, flight arrived 1am approx, had to wait for first train to reading!

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Mcr Piccadilly is about as safe as you can get and its relatively warm plus the 24hr cafe is next door (its changed hands now and the kebabs do not move by themselves across the counter)

Scotrail84

Established Member
Mcr Piccadilly is about as safe as you can get and its relatively warm plus the 24hr cafe is next door (its changed hands now and the kebabs do not move by themselves across the counter)

Just a shame its not as good as VIctoria Stn eh! :p

SS4

Established Member
St Pancras is pretty good although I'm defining good as warm, clean and not reeking of urine. There is/was a 24 hour starbucks there which helped me stay awake.

Never had the pleasure of staying in New Street although I know a few people who have before getting the first bus home.

Eagle

Established Member
I have, on occasion when very inebriated and without a place to crash in Leamington, considered sleeping on Leamington station platform and then getting the bus in the morning. It's doable on a Friday or Saturday night because the barriers are only live weekdays until about 8pm and not at all at weekends.

Basically, my brain goes "where am I allowed to sleep... I know!" :lol:

exile

Established Member
It used to be usual for large stations to stay open all night, to deal with mail and other traffic as well as overnight passenger trains. There'd always be somewhere to get your head down and have a kip. Both stations in Warrington are now closed and locked overnight.

DiscoStu

I spent the night on New Street when I was about fourteen. I'd gone there to meet my old man who was coming down from Scotland on an overnight.

I was sat in the buffet drinking hot chocolate, and a police officer asked what I was doing there on my own at that time of night. When I told him, he took me to the BTP station and put me up in a cell, complete with pillow and blankets til it was time for me to go back to the station :D

I spent the night, all be it 3 hours of it at Carmarthen station, its a lovely station even got given a cup of tea by the supervisor while i tried to get some kip in the waiting room. I got into Carmarthen station at 23:30 my next train to Swansea wasn't until 2:45 so tried to get as much sleep as I could.

bkhtele

What is Newport like, a journey North from Swindon via Newport arrives about 2am & the connection doesn't leave until about 5am, or would it be better to stop at Cardiff Central for a shorter time?

Swr28

Crewe used to be okay, Chester not so I stayed there once not pleasant. And an overnight at Reading plenty of freight and 24 hour takeways nearby. Also did a late night at Reading West.

anthony263

Established Member
Crewe used to be okay, Chester not so I stayed there once not pleasant. And an overnight at Reading plenty of freight and 24 hour takeways nearby. Also did a late night at Reading West.

Brave person staying overnight at Reading west. Reading is however a very nice place to stay overnight, plenty of freight , empty stock and service trains to keep yourself occupied

Chapeltom

Established Member
An unfortunate set of events meant my mate had to 'leave' a nightclub at 1:30am last night and we both stayed in Manchester Piccadilly from about 2am until 5am this morning until the 5:05 to Stockport left.

The announcements are still played but not in huge numbers, police were about, it felt pretty safe to be fair. Its not easy getting any kind of sleep though.

junglejames

Established Member
Dovey Junc!
Also, you dont say what it has to be good for, so Wakefield Kirkgate!!!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
An unfortunate set of events meant my mate had to 'leave' a nightclub at 1:30am last night and we both stayed in Manchester Piccadilly from about 2am until 5am this morning until the 5:05 to Stockport left.

The announcements are still played but not in huge numbers, police were about, it felt pretty safe to be fair. Its not easy getting any kind of sleep though.

There's usually a little crowd at Picadilly - I've spent more hours overnight there than I'd care to remember. Usually feels pretty fae there.

I spent several hours at Carlisle overnight when I was 18 - wow the winds do blow through there.

Also spent a night a Preston when I was 18 - that was quite pleasant - with a game of I spy going on in the waiting room (even if the answers tended to be fairly obvious).

Spent a night at Leeds back when the station used to shut when I was 17 and it used to close. I was waiting for the 0505 to London having caught the last train of the day from Halifax in and was taken pity on and allowed to stay in one of the mini waiting rooms that were on the platforms (smaller than the ones they have today - just two rows of benches facing one another). Actually got a bit of sleep.

Have spent a few nights there since - warm at least and usually a few sleepy souls around (though last time one bloke keopt wanting to hi-5 me).

glenbogle

The waiting rooms on the West Highland line at Arrochar & Tarbet and Ardlui are always open and spent a few nights in there whilst climbing the munro's nearby.
Heater inside too, was braw!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.