• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What stock could Grand Union use for Cardiff to London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy

Established Member
Moderator note: Split from
Would be a good route for battery trains, Trainline makes the distance as 55 miles roughly each way between Carmarthen and Cardiff Central, 110 miles on battery is achievable, Stadler managed 140 miles on a FLIRT in freezing conditions.

Might be pushing the range a little though and they probably want 802s as the lease will be cheaper since they can go with another operator if Grand Union fails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I think 9-car 802's personally - the GWML is well used, no doubt it'll reduce overcrowding between Carmarthen and Cardiff Central too.

I say 9 cars given the plan for Standard, Standard Premium and First Class.

Fyldeboy

Battery Trains, environmentally friendly = good.

However, Carmarthen-Cardiff would require an additional separate OA application, risk missed connections and be less attractive to the travelling public than direct W-Wales - London.

Energy

Established Member
Battery Trains, environmentally friendly = good.

However, Carmarthen-Cardiff would require an additional separate OA application, risk missed connections and be less attractive to the travelling public than direct W-Wales - London.
In their proposal they have London to Cardiff extended to Carmarthen in 2025.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Unlikely but speaking as an enthusiast: A 9 car 397 or a 125mph bi-mode Aventra. Most likely an IET with Lumo/Avanti refurb seats in standard.

I think an Aventra sounds quite unlikely - the SWR 701's aren't in service yet. If it was me, I'd be going for 9-car bi-mode 802's.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think 9-car 802's personally - the GWML is well used, no doubt it'll reduce overcrowding between Carmarthen and Cardiff Central too.

I say 9 cars given the plan for Standard, Standard Premium and First Class.
Isn't there a limit of 5 coaches at Carmarthen due to the platform lengths?

daodao

Established Member
Isn't there a limit of 5 coaches at Carmarthen due to the platform lengths?
Would 5 coach bimode trains be the most suitable, running in pairs between Cardiff and London, with a single set detached at Cardiff Central and running to Carmarthen via the Swansea District line? Passengers boarding at Paddington could be directed to the appropriate portion of the train depending on their destination.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Would 5 coach bimode trains be the most suitable, running in pairs between Cardiff and London, with a single set detached at Cardiff Central and running to Carmarthen via the Swansea District line? Passengers boarding at Paddington could be directed to the appropriate portion of the train depending on their destination.
Is there platform capacity at Cardiff for splitting and joining? It increases the amount of time the platform is occupied. It sounds like there is a plan for particular first class offerings as well which might be best not duplicated in two places.

On the other hand, a splitting and joining plan may better match capacity and what is to say that they might only be able to fill five car trains on certain services in any case.

I note that Hull Trains, Grand Central and Lumo work around five car trains in any case. It is a bit fanciful for Wales open access to think they can fill longer trains.

Western 52

Platforms at Llanelli and Pembrey and Burry Port are too short for 9 too. I know trains have SDO but at Llanelli there are also level crossings both ends of the station. Probably 5 cars will be sufficient in west Wales anyway.

RobShipway

Established Member
It is most likely going to be class 8XX units being run by Grand Central, but prior to that could it be possible that Grand Central use 5 car class 221's that are possibly soon to become available?

MattRat

On Moderation
It is most likely going to be class 8XX units being run by Grand Central, but prior to that could it be possible that Grand Central use 5 car class 221's that are possibly soon to become available?
If you mean the Avanti ones, they are going to XC. And hopefully more 22X follow like the 222.

RobShipway

Established Member
If you mean the Avanti ones, they are going to XC. And hopefully more 22X follow like the 222.
I would not be so sure that the Avanti 221's are going to XC or for that matter the EMR 222's. It is not written in stone that will happen and I believe there has been no mention in the press of either of these happening?

Just because it is logical that any class 22x will go to XC, does not mean it will happen. It would be like saying that the WMR/LNWR class 350/2 will go to SWR...........

MattRat

On Moderation
I would not be so sure that the Avanti 221's are going to XC or for that matter the EMR 222's. It is not written in stone that will happen and I believe there has been no mention in the press of either of these happening?

Just because it is logical that any class 22x will go to XC, does not mean it will happen. It would be like saying that the WMR/LNWR class 350/2 will go to SWR...........
The forums seem to believe they will, and they would slot right in. The 350s are different though as they'd need to be converted to third rail to fit in, if that's even possible.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The forums seem to believe they will, and they would slot right in. The 350s are different though as they'd need to be converted to third rail to fit in, if that's even possible.

If any 350s were going to SWR it would make more sense to do a deal involving the /1s which just need the shoes putting back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.