• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was longest running (in years) loco hauled service by same class of loco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessie

I'm aware of certain loco classes being associated with running certain mainline services for a long period of time but which ran for the longest continually? Please ignore HSTs and other multiple units. I'm thinking of Deltics up the ECML, Class 47s on Great Eastern services to Norwich, Class 33s on Weymouth services, maybe Class 86s on WCML. So which loco hauled service was around for the longest period of time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Class 86s had roughly the same amount of time in charge of GEML main line services as the 47s. The 90s not quite so long.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s got to be 86s on the WCML hasn’t it?

Veteran Member
That’s what I’m thinking also.

would 47s on the cross country route also perhaps come close (mid 60s - end of 2002?)
Castle class on the GWML 1923-1965?
It depends what you mean by "service" I suppose.
Over such a long period a class that started on the best trains of the day would end up on much less important services, or from dominance to being a rarity (or even v.v.) For example Castles ended up working to Oxford and Worcester by 1965 not to Bristol etc, while 47s were rare on inter-regionals in the 60s
I'd say 1925-1960 for Castles which is still pretty impressive, and perhaps 1972-2002 for XC 47s (somebody will correct that, I hope).

etr221

My guess would be the LBSCR A1/A1X 'Terrier' 0-6-0Ts on the Hayling Island Branch service from the 1890s (or maybe a bit before) until closure of the line in 1963 - so about 70 years.

Veteran Member
My guess would be the LBSCR A1/A1X 'Terrier' 0-6-0Ts on the Hayling Island Branch service from the 1890s (or maybe a bit before) until closure of the line in 1963 - so about 70 years.
Closely followed by the 415s at Lyme Regis (60-odd years)....but at 85 years
Talyllyn prior to preservation ?
....is surely the winner. :)

randyrippley

Established Member
The Isle of Man Railways Beyer Peacocks
built 1873-1926, some of them still in use

149 years

Last edited:

Rescars

Established Member
When it comes to big trains, how about the GWR Iron Dukes and their Rover class upgrades introduced in 1847 and still heading broad gauge expresses until the end in 1892?

Irascible

Established Member
Beattie tanks on on the Bodmin & Wadebridge 1895-1962 were another long lasting one but apparently not long enough! the OP did say main line though, which might need a definition of main line. LSWR T9s were working trains on the same route for their entire lives, but the LSWR line to Plymouth wasn't much of a main line.

Irascible

Established Member
The three oldest RH&DR engines have been doing it almost 100 years at this point - bit of a wierd line to categorise though.

T9s lasted 1899-1963, but I can't guarantee they worked the WoE main line for the entire time until I find the T9 book I think is in a box somewhere.

Veteran Member
Beattie tanks on on the Bodmin & Wadebridge 1895-1962 were another long lasting one but apparently not long enough! the OP did say main line though, which might need a definition of main line. LSWR T9s were working trains on the same route for their entire lives, but the LSWR line to Plymouth wasn't much of a main line.
The LSW, SR and BR(S) regarded it as a main line, though by the late 50s a T9 would have been a rare sight on an express (even though they were short trains).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
May I enter the Hythe Pier railway?

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the introduction to it of the small electric locomotives which still operate daily...

Bevan Price

Established Member
A3 Pacifics, East Coast main Line 1923-1965?
Apart from rail tours and substitute for failed diesels, there were no booked steam services into London Kings Cross after June 1963, and steam was getting scarce (but not unknown). on the rest of ECML .

And wasn't the first A1/A3 ("Great Northern") built in 1922**? (The original A1s were fitted with higher-pressure boilers to make the A3s)

** Great Northern was later rebuilt as Class A1/1.

However, for longevity on the same routes, freights worked by 0-6-0s must be amongst the claimants for longest continuous use.

Harvester

Established Member
Apart from rail tours and substitute for failed diesels, there were no booked steam services into London Kings Cross after June 1963, and steam was getting scarce (but not unknown). on the rest of ECML .

And wasn't the first A1/A3 ("Great Northern") built in 1922**? (The original A1s were fitted with higher-pressure boilers to make the A3s)

** Great Northern was later rebuilt as Class A1/1.

However, for longevity on the same routes, freights worked by 0-6-0s must be amongst the claimants for longest continuous use.
Yes “Great Northern” was built in 1922, and lasted as a Gresley A1 until rebuilt by Thompson to A1/1 in 1945.

Some NER J27 0-6-0s achieved sixty years of service on light freights on stretches of the ECML, from Darlington to as far north as Berwick.

Irascible

Established Member
The LSW, SR and BR(S) regarded it as a main line, though by the late 50s a T9 would have been a rare sight on an express (even though they were short trains).
Fairly common on the Exeter-Plymouth bit, no? for sure not all the way from Waterloo.

Veteran Member
Fairly common on the Exeter-Plymouth bit, no? for sure not all the way from Waterloo.
I looked at 1954 engine workings - not the easiest to follow but I could only find a couple of trains with T9s on the Plymouth route. I thought there were more myself ...

Strathclyder

Established Member
Aye, the Caledonian 812s spring to mind in this respect. May 1899 (first example built) to November 1963 (last example withdrawn). Am sure there are longer-lived 0-6-0s out there, but the Caley 812s really do take some beating.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Aye, the Caledonian 812s spring to mind in this respect. May 1899 (first example built) to November 1963 (last example withdrawn). Am sure there are longer-lived 0-6-0s out there, but the Caley 812s really do take some beating.
*ahem* :smile:

May I enter the Hythe Pier railway?

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the introduction to it of the small electric locomotives which still operate daily...

Richard Scott

Established Member
Personal observation would suggest around 40% Brush, rest 45/46 West of Exeter on XC early 70s
Surprised, I lived in Cheltenham and rarely saw anything other than peaks. As I didn't log anything back then no evidence to back it up mind.

341o2

Established Member
re Talyylyn (quoted wrong post)
On that basis, it would be the Ffestiniog, because the first three George England locos were delivered in 1863. Princess has been cosmetically restored, Prince in service

The Hythe Pier locos were built in 1918 for a mustard gasworks and their centenary was celebrated four years ago. 2022 marks 100 years of the pier railway

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.