• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was your favourite bus type as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
Growing up in rural Hampshire / Dorset borders, they were all green Bristol double decks (Hants and Dorset) in late 1960s and early 1970s. Hardly ever travelled by bus.

But when we occasionally went into Bournemouth I always wanted to go on the yellow open tops, they were much more modern, probably were Atlanteens

The Open top fleet from the mid 60s onwards were Daimler Fleetlines. Though Bournemouth Corporation also operated close top Atlanteans.

Which neatly brings me to my favourites:
1) the aforementioned Daimler Fleetlines CRU180C - CRU189C.
2) the two MH Cars Belfast bodied Fleetlines ALJ340B and ALJ341B
3) Shamrock and Rambler Plaxton Bodied Leyland Leopard KAD347V - I saw this coach when it was first delivered prior to entry into service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EMU303

Growing up in East Kilbride I was familiar with the ubiquitous Leopards (Alexander Y and T types) and various Bristols (LD, FS, FSF, FLF) operated from the local Central SMT depot.

Then a family holiday to the Isle of Man introduced me to the ‘revolutionary’ Leyland National, their first one being MAN14A. I thought this ‘space age’ in comparison to the front or underfloor engine mantra of Central SMT, who rejected the Fleetline and VR. They evidently wanted simple tough vehicles.

Later that decade they finally accepted the National but also the Volvo Ailsa, surely the fastest double deck ever… many a thrilling ride through the east end of Glasgow and leaving their depot sisters (those aging Bristols especially) in their wake on the dual carriageway up to East Kilbride!

So for speed, and a stylish Alexander bodywork, the Ailsa Mk 1 is my favourite… if only one of the model companies would produce one (in Central colours)!

Pub

My school years were NBC Crosville Bristol lowdekka both front and rear entrance. Bristol RE series single deckers were also common. Leyland Nationals came along from 1973 The dual purpose ones were my favourite. One bus type version was nicknamed the baby bus, because it never went anywhere without a rattle.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Probably depends where in Alder Valley land you were.
Blackwater Valley so very much in former A&D territory. As I can only remember buses being painted red and Lodekkas apparently having been forced on them after the merger I guess I'll never know. Not the end of the world!

Alder Valley inherited a shortage of serviceable vehicles and maintenance staff from Thames Valley and the new company had a phase in the 1970s of hiring in a wide variety of buses from several operators to keep the Reading depot (in particular) going. A few Dennis Lolines moved north to Reading, I'm not aware of any Lodekkas that moved south to the former A + D depots, but I can't be sure that it didn't happen.
Having dived down a few internet rabbit holes I've learned of the almost inevitable: AV hired in Reading Transport vehicles for services around Reading but as their services were subject to stopping restrictions in the town they were sailing past some stops causing confusion amongst the locals at RT buses seemingly ignoring them!

RJ

Established Member
Mine were as follows;

Without a doubt, Volvo Olympians with a ZF transmission.

Dennis Trident 2 with the uprated Cummins C245-20 engine and ZF transmission - in particular the V plate examples new to Connex and the X plates new to London United.

Volvo B7TL with the 6HP502C transmission - in particular the 55 plates VLA145-179 operated by Arriva London. After finishing studies, I chose to spend my final summer of freedom from full time work working for Metroline at Uxbridge, purely to drive the 55 plate B7TLs on the 607. Never had an issue getting hold of one as pretty much all other drivers preferred the faster and more spacious/ergonomic E400s.

It’s all about the sound for me.

Last edited:

gmaguire

I like the Volvo B7TL with the Plaxton President body. I also like the other bodies for the B7TL, and the Wright Gemini is arguably the best, but the President has always been my favourite. I’d like to own one, particularly a PVL type original to Go-Ahead London, or London Central and London General as it was at the time.

Close second is the Olympian. I prefer the later Olympians with the Volvo D10A and ZF. I also like the tri-axle variant built for Asia - 12 metres long with air conditioning and coach seats.

johnnychips

Established Member
I can remember getting the unique Atkinson double-decker, SHMD 70, to take us from our primary school to the swimming baths. We shared it with Broadbottom Primary School. They had the top deck on the way to Hyde Baths, us, Mottram Primary School on the way back. I am so glad it is preserved. Photo credit: Pete Davies1702079076739.jpeg

Liam L

Joining in this thread:

From Birmingham, So it's ALX 400 (Tridents) for me. Sad seeing them slowly being withdrawn from service.

baza585

Growing up in Portsmouth, I was always fascinated by the unusual Crossleys, plus the Provincial exotica across the harbour in Gosport, together with the Lodekkas etc to be found in Fareham and the Southdown Queen Mary’s.
Great word exotica. I grew up travelling daily on Provincial Inthe 60s; Hoeford was like a working museum in those days. AECs from the 30s, Guys from the 40s and numerous rebodies and repowers.

Great days. A unique operator.

jonesy3001

Established Member
The GM standard atlanteans, no matter what shape size or colours they came in.
Always thought GM Buses had different companies when growing up with the amount of fleetlines and atlanteans that operated with the private companies.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Guy Arabs of Lancashire United until 1974; AEC Regents making a change from th ubiquitous Atlantans and Fleetlines after I moved to Rochdale (plus the occasional appearance of ex-Ramsbottom Leyland Titans on the services from Bury.

Status
Not open for further replies.