• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What will be your first leisure based bus journey after lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic

one i am most looking foward to are the open toppers at First Kernow that do the St Ives-Lands End Penzance i am hoping for 33729 with its loud cooling fan

one i am most looking foward to are the open toppers at First Kernow that do the St Ives-Lands End Penzance i am hoping for 37729 with its loud cooling fan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Albaman

As a non-car owner and someone who is , like many others, desperate to get out and about again, there are two points on which I am unclear.

Firstly, does the lifting of the restriction on non- essential journeys apply in Scotland from 12 April ? ( I suspect it does not ).

Secondly, if " social distancing " is still in place, will capacity remain limited ?

Apologies for the somewhat pessimistic tone.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
As a non-car owner and someone who is , like many others, desperate to get out and about again, there are two points on which I am unclear.

Firstly, does the lifting of the restriction on non- essential journeys apply in Scotland from 12 April ? ( I suspect it does not ).

Secondly, if " social distancing " is still in place, will capacity remain limited ?

They are reasonable enough questions and realistic rather than pessimistic, and keeping it short (and not straying onto stuff that should be in the Covid forum)...

No specific dates in the Scottish plan; just some vague placeholders so early April COULD see Stay at Home order lifted though they will review, probably in relation to hospitalisations even if cases go up.

Moving from social distancing is a longer term target

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

This is outwith the scope of this thread - there is a thread discussing restrictions in the Covid section of the forum. You can also find out the relevant information here:

Albaman

Thanks to GusB for his guidance.

The journey I am looking forward , outwith my local area, is from Stirling to Callander then on to Killin.

route101

Established Member
Thanks to GusB for his guidance.

The journey I am looking forward , outwith my local area, is from Stirling to Callander then on to Killin.

I was looking at doing that journey too. I thin the bus connects in Callender.

Llandudno

Established Member
Especially for you, but from 2009 when the service was numbered 517:

View attachment 91510Stagecoach North West 20132 - P132XCN - an Alexander bodied Volvo B10M climbs the Kirkstone Pass with Ullswater in the background. My photo. Usual rights reserved, bla bla bla.

Especially for you, but from 2009 when the service was numbered 517:

View attachment 91510Stagecoach North West 20132 - P132XCN - an Alexander bodied Volvo B10M climbs the Kirkstone Pass with Ullswater in the background. My photo. Usual rights reserved, bla bla bla.
Thanks, great pic!

The 508 (or 517 as was) is a fabulous run, I used it on a Friday lunchtime in September 2019 and had a standing load on the Patterdale to Pooley Bridge section.

I am looking forward to seeing some action shots of the X57 on the Snake Pass when lockdown restrictions are lifted.

TheSel

... I am looking forward to seeing some action shots of the X57 on the Snake Pass when lockdown restrictions are lifted.
Can't help with recent ones, but here are a few from the late '80s / early '90s when a Derbyshire tender ran that way on Summer Sundays.

1614613851072.png
Mayne 16 - VJA666S - an ECW bodied Bristol VR at Snake Pass summit.

1614613931650.png
Greater Manchester PTE 8143 - MNC486W - a Northern Counties bodied Fleetline descends towards Glossop.

1614614036345.png
Mayne 12 - F112HNC - a Northern Counties bodied Scania N113 climbs out of Glossop

1614614140355.png
Mayne 13 - F113HNC - identical to the above in almost exactly the same place, but taken from the other side of the road.

All photos taken by myself. Usual conditions about copyright etc etc.

Llandudno

Established Member
Some great pics there, I hope the Hulleys Snake X57 carries a similar amount of passengers as the 460 in your photo and not the empty seats pictured in your other photos!

Prior in the introduction of the X57 when was the last registered service bus via the Snake Pass?
Did Richardson’s Sheffield to Manchester Airport bus run via the Snake or Woodhead?

I am not techy enough to copy and paste the link but there is a fabulous shot of a Hulleys X57 taken a couple of weeks ago in fading light and thick snow on the official Hulleys Facebook page.

Perhaps a high-tech forum member could find it and post it on here, it really is a fantastic photo!

TheSel

Some great pics there, I hope the Hulleys Snake X57 carries a similar amount of passengers as the 460 in your photo and not the empty seats pictured in your other photos!

Prior in the introduction of the X57 when was the last registered service bus via the Snake Pass?
Did Richardson’s Sheffield to Manchester Airport bus run via the Snake or Woodhead?

I am not techy enough to copy and paste the link but there is a fabulous shot of a Hulleys X57 taken a couple of weeks ago in fading light and thick snow on the official Hulleys Facebook page.

Perhaps a high-tech forum member could find it and post it on here, it really is a fantastic photo!
If you follow this link, and scroll down to 10 February's messages, you'll see the shot that I think @Llandudno is taking about.

I'm not entirely sure when the 395/460 finished. I'll need to dig through my Derbyshire timetables. Richardson's, however, was definitely booked to run via Woodhead. I strongly suspect it went via Snake on the odd occasion, though, what with Woodhead being closed by accidents from time to time.

Llandudno

Established Member
If you follow this link, and scroll down to 10 February's messages, you'll see the shot that I think @Llandudno is taking about.

I'm not entirely sure when the 395/460 finished. I'll need to dig through my Derbyshire timetables. Richardson's, however, was definitely booked to run via Woodhead. I strongly suspect it went via Snake on the odd occasion, though, what with Woodhead being closed by accidents from time to time.
Yep, that’s the one, stunning photo on the Hulleys Facebook page!

If Hulleys, or anyone thinking of producing a buses calendar for 2022, this photo should be on the front cover!

ChrisC

Established Member
I think I will probably just do a local day out using Trent/Barton. Perhaps to Derby and then beyond towards Matlock or Bakewell.
I haven’t been on a bus since February last year, and so will be using the Mango app for the first time. I transferred my account from the old card to the new app on my phone last year but haven’t tried using it yet.

woodhouse122

A ride on the Pronto to Nottingham and a trip on the X10 from Barnsley to Leeds will be my next days out once we end lockdown. I also have a West Yorkshire day saver waiting to be used, and later on when Travelodges and Premier Inns are open hopefully I'll have a few Megabus trips! (Glasgow, Newcastle and Cardiff trips had to be abandoned in 2020 due to the pandemic :( )

Last edited by a moderator:

Cambus731

Do First still use double deckers on the 529 I think it is between Burnley and Halifax?
I may do that.

Paul Jones 88

Chingford to Potters Bar on the 313, pleasant route with some decent fast running with not many stops, get off at Ponders End for look round and then off to Potters Bar, never been there before, does anyone know if there is a decent pub that serves real beer.

WM Bus

Will kernow be running the full network this year? I haven't been down there for a few years now but last year the timetables looked like they got rid of the A4 to Newquay

Last edited:

alex397

Established Member
To me it is unclear whether this is possible from 29th March or 12th April. The 'stay at home' guidance ends on the 29th, and Ensignbus are starting their open-top 68 service in Southend from that date. Presumably all the passengers on that will be travelling for leisure!

I will probably start off with something fairly local. I may travel down to Tenterden and travel on the superb 297, a council contract operated by Hams Travel between there and Tunbridge Wells, along winding country roads through some stunning Kentish scenery through the 'weald' (the route was once branded as the Transweald). On schooldays they usually have 1 of the 2 allocated vehicles a double decker throughout the day, although they seem to have just used single deckers since the schools went back this term.

mangyiscute

Established Member
I am planning to go to Luton to take an HST on EMR before they go and also take a bus on the guided busway there, and then like many I want to try out the X57 - I am looking at walking the Pennine Way in small chunks by doing day trips on public transport to get to either end, as you can imagine the X57 is a lifesaver for this first section, and I am very excited to take an extremely scenic bus. Also want to try out the Sky Class from Transdev, didn't get a chance before lockdown

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
To me it is unclear whether this is possible from 29th March or 12th April. The 'stay at home' guidance ends on the 29th, and Ensignbus are starting their open-top 68 service in Southend from that date. Presumably all the passengers on that will be travelling for leisure!

I will probably start off with something fairly local. I may travel down to Tenterden and travel on the superb 297, a council contract operated by Hams Travel between there and Tunbridge Wells, along winding country roads through some stunning Kentish scenery through the 'weald' (the route was once branded as the Transweald). On schooldays they usually have 1 of the 2 allocated vehicles a double decker throughout the day, although they seem to have just used single deckers since the schools went back this term.
Without it turning in some swivel eyed discussion (there's enough of them on the dedicated Covid forum if you want to feel your life force ebb way), the change from 29th March is "The ‘stay at home’ rule will end on 29 March but many restrictions will remain in place. People should continue to work from home where they can and minimise the number of journeys they make where possible, avoiding travel at the busiest times and routes." Minimising travel would run contrary to leisure travel and as holiday lets etc can open from 12th April, that's probably what the government are suggesting for leisure travel. Not been on a bus in 2021 - another two weeks ain't gonna kill me

I'll probably start off local to me (as you propose) but since this thread has begun, First South West have announced their Exmoor Coaster so will look to do that probably in June/July.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Probably a rail replacement bus. I don't tend to do leisure journeys by bus, save when the railway line is shut and I'm put on a bus.

lxfe_mxtterz

Just booked a hack in a park - about 15 miles away - for next Saturday (3rd April), so looks like my first leisure-based bus journey in what feels like forever will be the hour-long one to get there!

gc4946

Most likely a Coastliner bus to York from Leeds for starters. I haven't visited there since before the 1st lockdown last year!

317 forever

Established Member
Chingford to Potters Bar on the 313, pleasant route with some decent fast running with not many stops, get off at Ponders End for look round and then off to Potters Bar, never been there before, does anyone know if there is a decent pub that serves real beer.

That will provide a so far unique opportunity to ride an LT outside Greater London to Potters Bar.

My first bus journey post-Lockdown was a trip to the Burton & Uttoxeter area yesterday to sample Midland Classic buses.

mic

Can't help with recent ones, but here are a few from the late '80s / early '90s when a Derbyshire tender ran that way on Summer Sundays.

View attachment 91672
Mayne 16 - VJA666S - an ECW bodied Bristol VR at Snake Pass summit.

View attachment 91673
Greater Manchester PTE 8143 - MNC486W - a Northern Counties bodied Fleetline descends towards Glossop.

View attachment 91674
Mayne 12 - F112HNC - a Northern Counties bodied Scania N113 climbs out of Glossop

View attachment 91675
Mayne 13 - F113HNC - identical to the above in almost exactly the same place, but taken from the other side of the road.

All photos taken by myself. Usual conditions about copyright etc etc.
there was also a summer sunday service Bury to Holmfirth 430 service that ran Rochdale, Hollingworth lake, Minlrow, Buckstones, Uppermill, Greenfield over A635 to Holmfirth

Cymroglan

Current plan is that mine will be the X1 service to Christchurch with my lady love. We will have a drink (ok, a few drinks) at our favourite watering hole before a leisurely late lunch with some fine wine in an Italian diner. The restaurant bit is booked already, 3 weeks and a day after our second jab. Can’t wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.