• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What will it take for Southern to get new trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southern442

Established Member
A lot of TOCs have been suffering from stock shortages, but Southern in particular seem to be quite stuck on this issue. The SWR fleet, for example, is currently quite stretched, but they have new trains on the way (eventually)... meanwhile Southern have apparently declined taking back some of the 377/5s from SE, and are withdrawing the 313s without replacement. It is quite sad to see that they are essentially reverting back to an 8-car railway as a result, and some of the overcrowding on their services is not insignificant. In my eyes SOMETHING has to give eventually, be it a new order or some cascades, so what will that end up being do we think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A lot of TOCs have been suffering from stock shortages, but Southern in particular seem to be quite stuck on this issue.
Southern do not have a stock shortage. They have reduced their timetable which matches the stock available. Where is the evidence that they can't deliver that timetable?

The reduction of the Southern fleet size has drawn in part on the capacity still offered by the fixed formation Thameslink units. It has eliminated old units from the network and settled on a consistent fleet of trains. To do that without bringing in more trains and still offering broadly the same timetable is a masterstroke.

It is quite sad to see that they are essentially reverting back to an 8-car railway as a result, and some of the overcrowding on their services is not insignificant.
What is sad about it, if that broadly matches the demand? It is nothing different from what happened elsewhere - eg 8-car trains on SWR with the removal of the 456s.

In my eyes SOMETHING has to give eventually, be it a new order or some cascades, so what will that end up being do we think?
I imagine it will be redistribution of the fleet, with information about passenger loadings used to balance supply with demand.

PGAT

Established Member
It probably won’t look that interesting. Southern keep their electrostars for the next couple of decades when their time is up.

Could more services and units be justified? Absolutely.

Is anything going to be done? No.

PS: it’s leaning closer towards a 5 car railway rather than an 8 on the metro routes

jojoseph72

Southern do not have a stock shortage. They have reduced their timetable which matches the stock available. Where is the evidence that they can't deliver that timetable?

The reduction of the Southern fleet size has drawn in part on the capacity still offered by the fixed formation Thameslink units. It has eliminated old units from the network and settled on a consistent fleet of trains. To do that without bringing in more trains and still offering broadly the same timetable is a masterstroke.
Agreed, what they have managed to pull off is a stroke of genius.
And from what I’ve seen the May 2023 timetable shuffles things around to maximise efficiency of their fleet with some areas seeing an enhancement compared with the Dec 2022 timetable.

MattRat

On Moderation
I think some bi modes might be ordered to see off the diesels, as London pushes more and more towards removing pollution from the city.

RobShipway

Established Member

What is sad about it, if that broadly matches the demand? It is nothing different from what happened elsewhere - eg 8-car trains on SWR with the removal of the 456s.

I imagine it will be redistribution of the fleet, with information about passenger loadings used to balance supply with demand.
I would have to agree with the above 100%.

It probably won’t look that interesting. Southern keep their electrostars for the next couple of decades when their time is up.

Could more services and units be justified? Absolutely.

Is anything going to be done? No.

PS: it’s leaning closer towards a 5 car railway rather than an 8 on the metro routes
I think some bi modes might be ordered to see off the diesels, as London pushes more and more towards removing pollution from the city.
If you are referring to the class 171 units, then as these are only 20 years old then the current fleet will be either kept for another twenty years with the possibility of them being powered by Hydrogen, as per the test class 168 with Chiltern or be replaced with bi - mode trains that are battery/3rd rail electric, but that probably will not happen until at least 2043. The same will be true of replacing the class 377 fleet as well, I doubt that it would be treplaced much before 2043.

A lot of TOCs have been suffering from stock shortages, but Southern in particular seem to be quite stuck on this issue. The SWR fleet, for example, is currently quite stretched, but they have new trains on the way (eventually)... meanwhile Southern have apparently declined taking back some of the 377/5s from SE, and are withdrawing the 313s without replacement. It is quite sad to see that they are essentially reverting back to an 8-car railway as a result, and some of the overcrowding on their services is not insignificant. In my eyes SOMETHING has to give eventually, be it a new order or some cascades, so what will that end up being do we think?
As the above posts show, when it comes to passengers numbers post covid, I don't believe there is the demand for 8 coach trains, so having 12 coach trains would not be cost effective.

Should the passenger numbers increase, as been been discussed on other threads if GTR could broker a deal with the ROSCO that owns the class 379 fleet, then these could replace the class 387's with Great Northern and the class 387 units could then move South to Southern. However, I do not see that happening.

You also have to remember certainly from Sussex, Southern have all pretty much given up running stopping services from Brighton to London Victoria. The only stopping services to London Victoria come from either Hastings, Eastbourne and Littlehampton. So if you are at Brighton Station and want to get to London Victoria, then you have to take the Thameslink service to Haywards Heath.

Snow1964

Established Member
It is difficult to understand if Southern has a shortage, or just some trains can be overcrowded as they are allocating what they have wrongly.

Its true they scrapped the 442s, 455s and 313s without replacements although Thameslink did take over some workings. Southern however took over some Gatwick Express workings

So depending on how you count it are around 300 vehicles fewer than decade ago. But if that means now short, or previously were more resiliently equipped is debatable.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If you are referring to the class 171 units, then as these are only 20 years old then the current fleet will be either kept for another twenty years with the possibility of them being powered by Hydrogen, as per the test class 168 with Chiltern…
There is no Chiltern “hydrogen” power trial. It’s a motor/generator/battery “hybrid drive”, they somewhat unhelpfully shortened it to “hydrive”.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
If you are referring to the class 171 units, then as these are only 20 years old then the current fleet will be either kept for another twenty years with the possibility of them being powered by Hydrogen, as per the test class 168 with Chiltern...
I'm still not sure what hydrogen train you are talking about. The only hydrogen conversion that Porterbrook has demonstrated is the Class 799 (ex-319).

PGAT

Established Member
It is difficult to understand if Southern has a shortage, or just some trains can be overcrowded as they are allocating what they have wrongly.
On paper - Southern doesn’t have a shortage and is content with its current fleet for the timetable.

In practice - They’re just about coping. Majority of the routes have been stripped to their bare bones. Going back to a pre-pandemic timetable is impossible which is bad news if customer numbers continue to recover.

southern442

Established Member
In practice - They’re just about coping. Majority of the routes have been stripped to their bare bones. Going back to a pre-pandemic timetable is impossible which is bad news if customer numbers continue to recover.
This is what I was trying to get at. It is true to say that the timetable they have in place at the moment is working (possibly the most reliable timetable they've had for quite some time :lol:) but we are still in early days of the covid recovery, and whilst I cannot say that commuting is going to come back in the same form as it did pre-covid, I think it would be a healthy bet to say that there still is a lot of general recovery of passengers still to come. There's no room for any kind of service improvements in the current timetable, and whilst this is purely anecdotal, I have seen some horrendously overcrowded 8-car trains in the peaks.

jojoseph72

Yep, from what I understand the May 2023 for GTR timetable maximises usage of their 377s, with a very minor minor update due in December.
I do disagree with routes being stripped to their “bare bones”, I would say it dependant on route, not saying we have it as good as the pre-pandemic timetable but it definitely could be worse.

Its true they scrapped the 442s, 455s and 313s without replacements although Thameslink did take over some workings. Southern however took over some Gatwick Express workings
GX 442s were replaced by the 387s. 455s and 313s though did get replaced without fleet replacement.

Last edited:

Minstral25

Established Member
Most services are not showing as crowded on the Southern Journey planner. Those that are tend to be Between 2 to 4 services in the peak on Tues-Thursdays. It would be difficult to consider extra units for a few midweek services in current cost reduction conditions.

They are still fine tuning the timetable, for example Rail users on the Redhill to Tonbridge route have been told the third peak only unit will be removed in December, meaning longer gaps between their services.

PGAT

Established Member
Most services are not showing as crowded on the Southern Journey planner. Those that are tend to be Between 2 to 4 services in the peak on Tues-Thursdays. It would be difficult to consider extra units for a few midweek services in current cost reduction conditions.
Let’s just say Southern are generous when it comes to the expected seat availability

So if you are at Brighton Station and want to get to London Victoria, then you have to take the Thameslink service to Haywards Heath.
Not true, there is a direct Gatwick Express service.

Last edited:

southern442

Established Member
One wonders how much latent induced demand could be created from bringing more aspects of the pre-covid timetable back. It probably varies heavily on the area. Although it's little use speculating on that now. It's just a shame that certain services such as the Dorking fasts are unlikely to make a return for the foreseeable future.

PGAT

Established Member
I bet anywhere on the network could have induced demand by bringing back the 2019 timetable (apart from the Wimbledon loop), it just depends how economically justified they would be.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Don’t you still have to pay a premium for that service? Just wondering as I remember GTR being taken to court or something surrounding their pricing of GX.
Not from Brighton to Gatwick, although there are theoretically cheaper 'Thameslink only' fares for the time being.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I bet anywhere on the network could have induced demand by bringing back the 2019 timetable (apart from the Wimbledon loop), it just depends how economically justified they would be.

An obvious one is the Watford-Clapham service, which will be putting people off by being only 4 car and so unpleasantly crowded. Increase to 8 and you'd get all seats taken but not silly. Even 5 would be an improvement as it was for a bit.

PGAT

Established Member
An obvious one is the Watford-Clapham service, which will be putting people off by being only 4 car and so unpleasantly crowded. Increase to 8 and you'd get all seats taken but not silly. Even 5 would be an improvement as it was for a bit.
Good news: the East Croydon - Watford service WILL be 5 coaches from May

jojoseph72

Good news: the East Croydon - Watford service WILL be 5 coaches from May
Really? How’s that working? Thought all the 5 car fleet are in use on the London Bridge to East Croydon, Beckenham Junction or Cat/Tat service.

southern442

Established Member
Really? How’s that working? Thought all the 5 car fleet are in use on the London Bridge to East Croydon, Beckenham Junction or Cat/Tat service.
Beckenham Junction has been 8-car the last few times I've seen it. I can't imagine it would be too much fuss to swap out the /7s with /2s on the Cat/Tat services, for example. Indeed I have seen a 9-car working of this service recently.

PGAT

Established Member
Beckenham Junction has been 8-car the last few times I've seen it. I can't imagine it would be too much fuss to swap out the /7s with /2s on the Cat/Tat services, for example. Indeed I have seen a 9-car working of this service recently.
Beckenham/East Croydon has been 5-car since May 2022, but will become 6-car in the new change.

There has also been mention that the Victoria - West Croydon/London Bridge services will be predominantly 8-car off-peak, as well as the London Bridge - Epsom being 4 or 5-car off-peak as well. (which doesn't make much sense in my opinion)

jojoseph72

From my own source Cat/Tats are going all 10 car from May mainly done through rejigging the stock around.
But with the 5 cars also use of the London Bridge via Tulse Hill routes I thought all the 5 car 377s were in use.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There has also been mention that the Victoria - West Croydon/London Bridge services will be predominantly 8-car off-peak, as well as the London Bridge - Epsom being 4 or 5-car off-peak as well. (which doesn't make much sense in my opinion)
Doesn't London Bridge to Epsom interwork at London Bridge with Caterham / Tattenham services?

PGAT

Established Member
Doesn't London Bridge to Epsom interwork at London Bridge with Caterham / Tattenham services?
It says on the Southern website that those changes will happen, but from my observations they will still interwork and that's why I said it doesn't make much sense.
1681406273512.png

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It says on the Southern website that those changes will happen, but from my observations they will still interwork and that's why I said it doesn't make much sense.
Ah, right, yes it seems from RTT that some interworking will still happen at peak times but units may be 'left behind' at London Bridge during the off-peak times when the two routes operate without interworking.

Looks like an opportunity to reduce trainfleet mileage off peak on Epsom services.

PGAT

Established Member
From a cost-cutting perspective it seems like a bad idea to have all the ECS units going their separate ways, which require their own drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.