• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would happen in this situation? (Re railcard)

Tomp94

I've got to make a few train journeys over the next few days.
I will be buying tickets with a 26-30 railcard.
However, as it is digital only, and my smartphone has died, how am I meant to prove I have the railcard? I will be without my smartphone for at least the next 4 days, all I have is a basic call and text phone!

Thanks for your help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndroidBango

In those circumstances I wouldn't buy railcard discounted tickets (but I'm an overly cautious person).

CyrusWuff

Established Member
In those circumstances I wouldn't buy railcard discounted tickets (but I'm an overly cautious person).
Seconded. If you're unable to produce a valid Railcard when asked, you risk getting a Penalty Fare (£100 - reduced to £50 if paid within 21 days - plus the fare) or reported for possible prosecution.

Tomp94

I do get that however I am entitled to the discount as I have genuinely paid for my railcard. If someone didn't mind downloading TrainPal I am happy to login and show the railcard.

Is there no mitigation?
filling in some paperwork and sending proof after X number of days, otherwise a penalty fare applies?

island

Veteran Member
Inspectors aren't going to download Trainpal for you. You run the risk of being reported for prosecution if caught – I really wouldn't risk it.

Veteran Member
I do get that however I am entitled to the discount as I have genuinely paid for my railcard. If someone didn't mind downloading TrainPal I am happy to login and show the railcard.

Is there no mitigation?
filling in some paperwork and sending proof after X number of days, otherwise a penalty fare applies?
There is a provision, but it can only be used once in a year - so choose your most expensive trip.
It used to be that you were asked to buy a new full-price ticket and claim afterwards, but that seems to have changed - check the Railcard website.

BJames

Established Member
I do really sympathise with this, however, the T&Cs of 26-30 railcard state:
2.8. You must be able to show your valid Railcard on a mobile device throughout your journey. When asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and your valid Railcard.
2.10. If you fail to comply with condition 2.7, 2.8 and/or 2.9, the Train Company reserves the right to charge you the full price for a standard single fare for your journey, as if no ticket had been purchased before starting the journey. In some cases you may also be issued with a Penalty Fare. 
I'd be nervous to attempt these journeys on a railcard discounted ticket without being able to show my railcard as the guard/RPI/whoever you may encounter is fully within their rights to charge you a full new fare. You wouldn't be able to show your railcard on the app and you already know this, even though you have bought one - the terms and conditions are not in your favour at all.

WesternLancer

Established Member
However, as it is digital only, and my smartphone has died, how am I meant to prove I have the railcard? I will be without my smartphone for at least the next 4 days, all I have is a basic call and text phone!

Thanks for your help
another option you could consider (instead of forgoing your railcard discount) would be to go to ticket office and buy a new hard copy paper railcard - but of course that would duplicate what you have paid for tho would run for 12 months from now. If the ticket savings warrant the cost of it it's an option. You might need to visit a photo booth too for a pic.

If you were only making one journey you could rely on the 'forgotten railcard policy' which allows you one grace chance per year to forget your railcard but provide proof you had it later (doing this is a bit of a hassle) [as per post #6 I see now mentioned] - but this is less easy for you as you say you are making several trips. You could of course chance it that you will not be asked to show the railcard and the 1st time you are, use the 'forgotten railcard policy' and then for each subsequent trip only have a full price ticket so as to comply with the sprit of the policy at least. Not sure I'd do that tho. I'd buy a new railcard or buy full price tickets - whichever was the least expensive option for the travel needed over the days concerned.

Last edited:

James H

I am entitled to the discount as I have genuinely paid for my railcard
If you are unable to show the railcard, you are not entitled to the discount.

A railcard-discounted ticket only has any validity when presented alongside the railcard.

BJames

Established Member
another option you could consider (instead of forgoing your railcard discount) would be to go to ticket office and buy a new hard copy paper railcard - but of course that would duplicate what you have paid for tho would run for 12 months from now. If the ticket savings warrant the cost of it it's an option. You might need to visit a photo booth too for a pic.
Unfortunately OP has a 26-30 railcard and these are online only.

edit beaten to it - sorry for duplication!

miklcct

On Moderation

Thanks for your help
Why can't you buy a smartphone in 4 days? Can't you go to the shop and buy a new phone?

I keep 2 smartphones (one high end, one low end model) to avoid this from happening.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Buy the cheapest, crummiest smart phone from CEX or something and stick your SIM card in it. It’ll cost you about £30-40. Less if you’re lucky.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You have two choices:

- Buy undisciounted tickets. You are only entitled to the discount if you carry the railcard when you travel. If you do not do this you are not entitled to the discount.
- Purchase a new smartphone

I would be wary of relying on the forgotten railcard policy. The policy reuires you to send in a copy of your railcard within 14 (I think) days and to do this you'd have to get a new smartphone anyway. Also, although you'd probably get away with it, the policy is for someone who forgets their railcard not someone who deliberately travels without it.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You have two choices:

- Buy undisciounted tickets. You are only entitled to the discount if you carry the railcard when you travel. If you do not do this you are not entitled to the discount.
- Purchase a new smartphone

I would be wary of relying on the forgotten railcard policy. The policy reuires you to send in a copy of your railcard within 14 (I think) days and to do this you'd have to get a new smartphone anyway. Also, although you'd probably get away with it, the policy is for someone who forgets their railcard not someone who deliberately travels without it.
And indeed it is of no assistance at all if a member of staff decides to report you for prosecution, which (although it'd entirely unreasonable IMHO) is something they'd be quite entitled to do.

pedr

Buy the cheapest, crummiest smart phone from CEX or something and stick your SIM card in it. It’ll cost you about £30-40. Less if you’re lucky.
Though it’s worth checking what the operating version requirements are for whichever app is needed to display the railcard - presumably some would fail to work on outdated versions.

island

Veteran Member
Though it’s worth checking what the operating version requirements are for whichever app is needed to display the railcard - presumably some would fail to work on outdated versions.
CEX has a 48 hour returns policy which would cover that scenario.

MotCO

Established Member
Could the railcard be displayed on a friend's phone and get it printed out. Would a printed paper version be acceptable to inspectors?

LAX54

Established Member
Inspectors aren't going to download Trainpal for you. You run the risk of being reported for prosecution if caught – I really wouldn't risk it.
Is this part of the 'joy' of the push for digital everything ? a 'real' railcard (if made available) does not need batteries or a signal

jamiearmley

And indeed it is of no assistance at all if a member of staff decides to report you for prosecution, which (although it'd entirely unreasonable IMHO) is something they'd be quite entitled to do.
Although 'reporting for prosecution' is perhaps a little misleading.

A Travel Incident Report / MG11 would be submitted, the 'office' would then request Railcard details from the passenger, which once verified would result in the closure of the report, as long it it complied with the terms of the policy -(first time in 12 months, Railcard valid at time of travel, etc).

So, in layman's terms you are being 'reported for prosecution' - but you are also clearly not being 'reported for prosecution'.

It just so happens that the forgotten Railcard policy follows the same process as any other travel irregularity.

I would also suggest that 'reported for investigation' is a less dramatic term : crew on the ground submit reports. Others decide the action to take based on the reports. Crew most certainly do not decide wether or not someone is 'prosecuted'.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Is this part of the 'joy' of the push for digital everything ? a 'real' railcard (if made available) does not need batteries or a signal
But a "real" piece of paper or plastic can be easily lost compared to a device integral to many people's lives (which can also be replaced and have its railcard redownloaded at a moment's notice).

SteveM70

Established Member
A quick (and hopefully simple) question.

What happens with the “one chance to show a forgotten railcard” rule if a passenger is making a lengthy journey using more than one TOC, and has their details taken each time their ticket is checked?

MrJeeves

Established Member
What happens with the “one chance to show a forgotten railcard” rule if a passenger is making a lengthy journey using more than one TOC, and has their details taken each time their ticket is checked?
You'll normally be asked to buy a new ticket as part of the forgotten railcard process, which would then be used for the remainder and refunded back by the train company on production of the railcard after the fact. At least in theory.

jamiearmley

A quick (and hopefully simple) question.

One possibility is that a travel incident report (for later production of Railcard) is issued covering the whole journey. A receipt is issued which is effectively an 'authority to travel'.

The passenger then shows their 'TIR printout/receipt' in lieu of their railcard as their journey continues and does not have to suffer further indignity or questioning. It also comes at zero cost to the passenger, which can also be important, especially given the full standard single cost of some journeys.

spag23

On Moderation
But a "real" piece of paper or plastic can be easily lost compared to a device integral to many people's lives
I'm with LAX54 on this . I reckon a piece of paper/plastic in the compartment of a wallet or purse is far less likely to go AWOL than a device that is regularly (permanently?) accessed throughout a journey.
(I once saw a texter in the doorway of a crowded TfL "S" tube get elbow-nudged by an exiting passenger, causing her to drop her phone down the gap between the doorstep and the platform :s)
And if you do lose a CCST, you've still got a phone to buy a replacement!

Haywain

Veteran Member
I once saw a texter in the doorway of a crowded TfL "S" tube get elbow-nudged by an exiting passenger, causing her to drop her phone down the gap between the doorstep and the platform
I've seen people lose paper tickets in exactly the same way. There's no choice then but to buy a new ticket.