• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would happen in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomp94

With an advance ticket, breaking the journey before the final destination printed on the ticket, because you are on a packed train and feel ill and need air.

For example, going to London Victoria from Brighton on Southern.

Could you get off and then buy a mobile ticket to complete the journey?

Or would you get fined and made to pay the full fare?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddington

If you bought a new mobile ticket from the station where you got off, nobody would know or ask about your previous ticket, especially if there are no ticket barriers or they are very far from the platform.

If you needed to leave the station through ticket barriers then you would probably have to explain yourself to the person there, who could authorise you to take the next train without a new ticket. It would be best to get written endorsement of this.

If there happened to be revenue protection inspectors at the station where you got off, I would hope they would be understanding.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
This is something I have always wondered as well. What if I had a heart attack on the train whilst travelling on an Advance and the paramedics were called and took me to hospital before my final destination - obviously I'd be in violation of my ticket and I'd have to pay more but I'd be unable to pay at the time due to the heart attack. Do you think that would be considered fare evasion under the Regulation of Railways Act? Do you think they would just send an invoice for the new fare or would they go straight to prosecution? After all I am aware fare evasion is a strict liability offence so it wouldn't matter I am having a heart attack if I break the ticket conditions.

gray1404

Established Member
If you genuinely were feeling ill then the train company would have to do something for you. That could be allowing you to exit the station, allowing you to take a break and travel on a later train, offer first aid if possible or call an ambulance. Charging a customer who is already unwell and knowingly putting them in a stressful situation would be uncalled for.

If this happened to me, I would approach staff and ask for help because I was unwell. I'd then, having made my request for help as I am unwell, explain that I had to get of my booked train. I'd then see what they came back with. I certainly would focus on asking to break my journey/finish short until it had been clearly established I was that unwell I didn't feel able to continue my journey.

robbeech

Established Member
This is something I have always wondered as well. What if I had a heart attack on the train whilst travelling on an Advance and the paramedics were called and took me to hospital before my final destination - obviously I'd be in violation of my ticket and I'd have to pay more but I'd be unable to pay at the time due to the heart attack. Do you think that would be considered fare evasion under the Regulation of Railways Act? Do you think they would just send an invoice for the new fare or would they go straight to prosecution? After all I am aware fare evasion is a strict liability offence so it wouldn't matter I am having a heart attack if I break the ticket conditions.
Despite some of the things we see on here and read elsewhere from time to time there is generally a level of common sense that would prevent anything like this happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.