• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's happened to Trains.im

Nick SPS

I use Trains.im to record daily on-time performance for a couple of specific SWR routes.
The site is normally updated daily, but not since 24 October. Their contact email doesn't work either.
Has the site closed down ?
If it has closed, does anyone have any recommendations on where else I can get daily PPM figures?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iphone76

I've noticed this too. It did stop for a while a few months ago and suddenly came back, so I'm hoping for the same this time.

iphone76

Could you post a link please? (Hopefully allowed). When I try the PPM section it just shows 100% in a red bar.

This is the link I am using.

Nick SPS

Could you post a link please? (Hopefully allowed). When I try the PPM section it just shows 100% in a red bar.

This is the link I am using.

Yes - that's exactly what I'm seeing too (hence the original post)

Nick SPS

Ok - Ok! I was actually asking the other poster above who said it seemed ok for them, so I could compare why it wasn't working for me either. (Hence my question)
Understand ! Still not working - I've sent an email to Network Rail who receive all TOC's PPM data to see if they can provide an alternative supplier (or use NR data which should be the same). Trains.im was the ORR recommended supplier for PPM data so it should all be in the public domain.

Tom

The data is in the public domain and is readily available to anyone subscribing to the open data. Trains.im has likely been impacted by a change in the open data service which was well signposted a while ago.

However, this data that is displayed is not the official PPM data - it's a real-time calculation during the day calculated by NR itself that is subject to change at the end of the day as it has some issues with its inputs. I'll ask one of my team to see if we can surface something on RTT.

Nick SPS

The data is in the public domain and is readily available to anyone subscribing to the open data. Trains.im has likely been impacted by a change in the open data service which was well signposted a while ago.

However, this data that is displayed is not the official PPM data - it's a real-time calculation during the day calculated by NR itself that is subject to change at the end of the day as it has some issues with its inputs. I'll ask one of my team to see if we can surface something on RTT.
Thanks Tom. Fully understand that the data can change at the end of each day - I usually check the PPM a day or so later. If trains.im is not able to produce that data (or is unlikely to solve their issues) it would be good to know where else I could try. It's vital I have a source for line specific daily PPM data, as it's used for lobbying purposes (including MP's, County County Councillors and for reports to the media, such as BBC). I get "on time to 3" data from the TOC which is also useful but that's station not line specific.
Grateful for your input!

Tom

Fully understand that the data can change at the end of each day - I usually check the PPM a day or so later.
The data from the RTPPM feed (which is what trains.im surfaced and the open data system in general) will not change after the end of the day - it's merely an indicative system. So waiting 24 hours later makes no difference to the number that you'll see before it resets. The 'official' figure comes much later and will be found from other places.

Nick SPS

The data from the RTPPM feed (which is what trains.im surfaced and the open data system in general) will not change after the end of the day - it's merely an indicative system. So waiting 24 hours later makes no difference to the number that you'll see before it resets. The 'official' figure comes much later and will be found from other places.
I check "my" monthly numbers with those provided by the TOCs and these generally match the average of the daily PPM numbers I've sourced from Trains.im, the odd percentage point makes little difference to lobbying activity. But my key question is, where else can I get accurate daily PPM figures, if trains.im is not available?