• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats the most successful Locomotive or Unit in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The big thing that counts against the IC125 for me is the ludicrous decision to stick with slam doors at the design stage. An otherwise excellent train let down by penny-pinching which left them feeling outdated within their first decade. Also a shame that it took 35 years to begin correcting this error.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mat17

Well some have already been mentioned; HSTs, class 37, class 47, class 08, class 101, class 158 and of course mark 1 stock which has been so versatile in range of designs and uses and of course wiped out most pre-BR coaching stock but also has been the backbone of most preserved railways over the past three/four decades.

However I've got another contender. Now I will confess I absolutely hate these things, but I'm tempted to include class 153.

How many lightly used branchlines were saved by this conversion measure when Regional Railways ran out of money for new stock? Horrid things but they did the job they had to do and generally had a slightly better ride quality than a pacer, even if they had much less leg room.

Class 20s seem to have been far more successful (i.e. long-lived) than I would have expected.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
It did, but through express services ended in 1968 with the closure of the Great Central main line.
Sorry, but could you explain what you mean by "through express services"? As I remember it, there were no through expresses after 1960, when the GC was effectively downgraded to a tertiary route Marylebone to Nottingham, with just the Man Pic - Sheff Vics shuttling back and forth every hour stopping at Penistone and (I think) Guide Bridge. Plus there was the one Liverpool or Man Picc to Harwich Boat Train. The Cl 77s were effectively redundant from 1960, and could have been sold off then, I should imagine, assuming there were enough 76s free from freight duties.

LiftFan

My suggestion as others have also put it, the Class 158/159. Not as reliable from the start as the 156 but they feel like a godsend on longer distance routes, they really have a proper feeling of comfort to them. Properly refurbished as on GWR, they feel more modern than the 166s and 165s that replace them. They also have end gangways to make them easier for trolley services which is a nice thing on these longer distance journeys.
For EMU I'm going to say the Electrostar family have been a great new train and an aesthetically pleasing design, with in my experience reliable air conditioning for the heatwaves we get each year now.
Locos I'll put forward the 59s as they have been hauling some of our heaviest trains up and down from Merehead and Whatley quarries for 30 years now.
Intercity services? I do love an HST like most people but the gangway creaking and that unsettling smell of the brakes does dampen it a bit, but with the 390s they have been hammered for two decades in considerable comfort with an on-board shop and a calm atmosphere.

How about the various Networker classes?
The electric ones? I do like those, but I just cannot say that the diesel variants are any good whatsoever. The Chiltern ones may be different but on GWR land they're slower than the 150s, the air con on the 166s makes a really irritating whine and even the one or two they've refurbished into GWR inside still look like they are falling apart!

reddragon

Established Member
We have all forgotten the real winner!

Built in 1932-33, still in service and only 1 vehicle scrapped. So modern, they were 30 years ahead of their time, still meet modern crashworthiness tests and now have retention tanks fitted to toilets, disabled toilets, door locking and disabled access!

Ran their original services for 40 years, and after a short break did a class 442 and returned, first with VSOE and now back as they started.

The class 403 5-BEL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.