• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

TheEdge

Established Member
That’s a good haul, and a classic DMU livery. How was the exhibition?

Very retailer heavy. And the layouts were sort of hard to get to. You have to really fight through the retailer stands to get to the layouts which were all bunched together at the back. Not terrible but not brilliant. This year I've been to Milton Keynes, Alexandra Palace and Warley, Warley has been the weakest by a fair bit.

EDIT

Time for some photos of my poor financial choices...

First of all, some LPG tanks from the excellently named DrachenGas...DSC_1818~2.JPG

Then a 40ft container stuffed to the brim with German beer...
DSC_1819~2.JPG

But wait, there's more!

Is that a flaming Vectron you've got there or are you just pleased to see me? MCRE Vectron in a striking livery, literally "We Burn for What We Do", but it's the German version of "Passion for what we do"
DSC_1817~2.JPG

But then I noticed a thing which I've been tempted by before. Many years ago my first train trip to Europe with my dad started on a Thalys TGV set to Germany so I've always been tempted by the Kato bookset, but it's got a £380 RRP. Gaugemaster offered me one for £350 at a previous show but I walked away. Scograil at Warley however had it at £303 with a show discount on top leaving it at £270. Quick negotiations with the other half make it a part funded birthday present so home it came...
DSC_1816~2.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very retailer heavy. And the layouts were sort of hard to get to. You have to really fight through the retailer stands to get to the layouts which were all bunched together at the back. Not terrible but not brilliant. This year I've been to Milton Keynes, Alexandra Palace and Warley, Warley has been the weakest by a fair bit.

EDIT

Time for some photos of my poor financial choices...

First of all, some LPG tanks from the excellently named DrachenGas...View attachment 124412

Then a 40ft container stuffed to the brim with German beer...
View attachment 124413

But wait, there's more!

Is that a flaming Vectron you've got there or are you just pleased to see me? MCRE Vectron in a striking livery, literally "We Burn for What We Do", but it's the German version of "Passion for what we do"
View attachment 124411

But then I noticed a thing which I've been tempted by before. Many years ago my first train trip to Europe with my dad started on a Thalys TGV set to Germany so I've always been tempted by the Kato bookset, but it's got a £380 RRP. Gaugemaster offered me one for £350 at a previous show but I walked away. Scograil at Warley however had it at £303 with a show discount on top leaving it at £270. Quick negotiations with the other half make it a part funded birthday present so home it came...
View attachment 124410

Now that’s quite the haul. :) That Vectron looks bonkers in that livery, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.

TheEdge

Established Member
Now that’s quite the haul. :) That Vectron looks bonkers in that livery, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.

I was pleased!

Apparently TX Logistik is actually the operator, MRCE is the leasing company. Anyway, there are two apparently, the Vectron and also an ES64.

Enjoy a picture of the pair of them flaming together.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was pleased!

Apparently TX Logistik is actually the operator, MRCE is the leasing company. Anyway, there are two apparently, the Vectron and also an ES64.

Enjoy a picture of the pair of them flaming together.

That makes your eyes go funny if you look at them too long!

AJM580

Picked this up locally, a stylish addition

Attachments

• IMG_20221126_173830474_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221126_173830474_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35

silexa

Picked up a Bachmann Freightliner Class 70 from Warley, but nothing else that really sparked my interest for my layout. Have recently also bought a Hornby East Midlands Trains HST from Ebay

DJ_K666

My haul of goodies this year is actually pretty impressive.
GETS at Milton Keynes netted a Hornby brake van, a Bachmann Lord Nelson and two Bulleid Brake thirds, both second hand from Ellis Clark.

Warley got me a Lima class 37 which will be a good project loco, a Hornby CCT in maroon as a prize draw prize from Hornby Magazine, two Hornby Railroad mk2Es, and a Hornby Pullman brake 3rd. Also an Ex-Kirk Bulleid 3 set kit of all 3 coaches to keep me occupied through winter.

I also picked up a Hornby Bulleid 3 set in Southern green for £120 and two Lima mk2bs without bogies for £2 each.

So all in all its been a great autumn for acquisitions.

xotGD

Established Member
OK, a bit of a fudge here. Not newly acquired, but newly retrieved from the loft when I was fetching the Christmas decorations.

Here is the entire GD loco fleet:

37 25 55.jpg

I have owned the Hornby 37 and 25 since childhood - bought new from a local model shop for around £13 each. The Lima model of Pinza was a more recent gift from my now-wife, but is still a fair few years old now. While the first two have seen a bit of use, the Deltic has never turned a wheel.

By happenstance, a Syphon and Rat fit with my KWVR fleet theme. I'll just have to assume that there is a diesel gala in progress, and a rather nice guest loco has turned up.

Incidentally, the real 37130 became 37681, and it was as 681 that I managed to get it in the book for haulage - as detailed in the "Back in the Day" thread (plug, plug).

RichJF

Not been doing much model railways recently.

Kernow had one Bachmann 03 left over for £83. Couldn't resist when elsewhere it's £120. So here it is...

Attachments

• Compress_20221215_192908_8265.jpg
    Compress_20221215_192908_8265.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Compress_20221215_192908_8896.jpg
    Compress_20221215_192908_8896.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not been doing much model railways recently.

Kernow one Bachmann 03 left over for £83. Couldn't resist when elsewhere it's £120. So here it is...

That’s really nice. Good setting too!

ThePeakNed

Recently got a Heljan 07, but within 10 minutes of handling (and I thought I was doing it carefully), I’d snapped a cab handrail.

Anybody any solutions for reattaching it?

RichJF

Recently got a Heljan 07, but within 10 minutes of handling (and I thought I was doing it carefully), I’d snapped a cab handrail.

Anybody any solutions for reattaching it?

Thank you

Nice model :) A dab of polycement sorts most problems I find!

Revell Contacta plastic model kit glue, or failing that Loctite super glue use a VERY small amount!

silexa

Christmas acquisitions include:
Accurascale 92032
Hornby Network Rail Mk2f Brake Force Runner Coach
Hornby Network Rail Super GUV
Hornby Network Rail Mk3 DVT
Hornby Network Rail Mk2d Staff Coach
Hornby Network Rail Structure Gauging Coach
Hornby Network Rail TF Mk3 Coach
Hornby MGR Hoppers with Canopy

Slowly working my way through the Network Rail stuff, hopefully i'll have them all done this year :)

4COR

Less an acquisition, but more a resurrection today - spent the day finally sorting out my Dad's Southern T9 (from the 1938 Southern Suburban train pack).

This model suffers from Zamak Rot (or "zinc pest") which results in the motor mount casing crumbling to pieces over time - here's what's left of it:

PXL_20230102_152516441.jpg
(Photo shows motor mount from a Hornby T9 which has completely crumbled)

Peter's Spares offers (offered?) a brass replacement, and after a fair bit of fettling, some shimming, and redrilling of the motor retainer screw, we now have a functional T9 in Olive Green again.
Screenshot_20230102-182738.png
(Image of new motor mount in place on chassis, no body)

Just needs a DCC chip adding now, and my Dad can add it back into his collection. Frankly, where he will put it, I don't know given the low route milage to rolling stock ratio he has!

PXL_20230102_152550364.jpg
(Photo of the T9 in Olive Green put back into one piece!)

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Some more Christmas acquisitions were a short rake of wagons for the BR blue fleet to shunt around Fort George:

EA878CE8-C3E5-4A2F-9937-8997FB412096.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s my attempt at a fleet for a fictional Ministry of Defence layout. Only a little 4’ x 2’ shunting layout still well in its early stages.

Lovely models. Please let us know if you start building it.

@Iskra - that’s a nice little train for that era.