• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When eastcoast.co.uk goes, what will be your preferred booking website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Over the past few years I have enjoyed using buying all my (and others) rail tickets using eastcoast.co.uk, not only because of their loyalty scheme but also I really enjoy the functionality of webtis. I'm sure there's many others who would agree with me - so who will you move your business to after East Coast sadly go?

Personally I think I would continue to prefer a webtis engine (such as ScotRail) - though you can save a pound on EMT advances by booking through them directly.

In terms of loyalty schemes; I thought I would prefer RSH though I notice it isn't actually that rewarding comparatively. I'm not interested in joining Nectar as I don't believe that's any better!

That's my thinking, but who will you be preparing to switch to and why?

Anybody in favour of the trainline need not reply!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Either TPE or Southern for me as they both use Webtis (which is a requirement for me). I'm leaning towards Southern due to their money back guarantee (no quibble full refund on any uncollected Anytime, Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak tickets).

I'm assuming that a) VTEC will be trainline powered and b) their Nectar scheme will be terrible if either of those is not true I might switch to them.

ASharpe

Simple tickets I am just going to buy from TVMs.

I think I could have a bit of learning to do on them, how do I enter Zone U1* into a SWT machine.

Advances probably from Grand Central - I buy most of mine from GC as I use them a lot and get a discount. So I wouldn't mind using the site for the rest unless the other TOC website does discounts.

But for the complicated stuff I am going to have to stick with a Webtis site - so Southern for the easy refunds. No point using East Coast without rewards.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I usually use Virgin due to:

a) half price online off peak singles
b) nectar
c) East Coast not doing points on purchases under £20

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Either TPE or Southern for me as they both use Webtis (which is a requirement for me). I'm leaning towards Southern due to their money back guarantee (no quibble full refund on any uncollected Anytime, Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak tickets).

I'm assuming that a) VTEC will be trainline powered and b) their Nectar scheme will be terrible if either of those is not true I might switch to them.

Me too. First TPE also offer up to 4.72% back via Topcashback on their own tickets which, while not great, is better than nothing.

Kite159

Veteran Member
EMT for East Midland advances (£1 discount)
FTPE for cashback (although that might change as last 2 purchases didn't track so if they refuse to pay out I won't use them and use FGW instead

Virgin for Virgin advances (nectar points on Virgin tickets).

CallySleeper

Established Member
Are loyalty schemes considered that big an incentive?

Fortunately I would most use EMT who give a £1 discount on advance tickets; somewhat of a 'reward'. Second would be East Coast, with nectar set up the way it is it remains to be seen whether there will be any rewards for loyalty (regular travel) or use of their website. Hopefully their 10% discount will continue at least.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Are loyalty schemes considered that big an incentive?

It depends on the loyalty scheme and how often you travel. EC Rewards was a huge incentive for me, being a regular traveller on the ECML. It was even worth forgoing the 10% discount on Grand Central (with my NUS Extra card).

I expect I will move to First TPE, who offer cashback through Quidco as well as Nectar points, and GrandCentral when I'm travelling with them. But I'll probably pick and choose the retailer more, given that Nectar points are largely worthless.

ASharpe

It was even worth forgoing the 10% discount on Grand Central (with my NUS Extra card).

That was always a close one for me, with the cheap GC advance I buy twice a week I'll normally go for the 10% off.

But if it will get me over the the £22 minimum then I'll often get them from EC with other tickets.

I actually find using my rewards points a bit difficult as I don't like wasting them on a journey I can do in standard for under £10 and think 1st is a rip-off on weekends. So I could collect them faster than I'd use them.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It always depended on the journey for me. I fairly regularly travel up to Yorkshire Friday evening to Sunday evening, so the free 1st class travel saved me money as well as giving me a bit of food and a bit of wine- I couldn't usually afford first class otherwise, and Friday evening in standard class is always overcrowded and unpleasant. Weekend first class is a mixed bag, I don't think it's a rip-off- if you can get the good advances at £15 more than standard. I wouldn't usually waste a free 1st class voucher on a weekend.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I forgot the GC site when booking XC advances as the 10% NUS discount is available for XC as well as GC with free postage.

And with the 10% discount, the tickets don't show it, so if you have to claim delay repay via XC, you can get more back than you originally paid if the delay was over an hour

cf111

Established Member
ScotRail probably, unless Abellio make it awful.

Clip

Established Member
One of the delightful clerks in a booking office still I imagine.

cf111

Established Member
Something I forgot to consider, the ScotRail booking engine as we know it may not last much longer!

Greater Anglia's booking engine looks to be the one ScotRail used to use, not that I suppose that is anything to go by.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 49

autotank

What are the best cash back deals available at the moment for train tickets?

Once East Coast goes I'll probably go for the one with the highest % - I think FTE do 1% through Quidco at the moment. Can anyone do better?

dcsprior

Slightly off-topic: do we know if the new EC website will keep the ability to choose a specific seat? I find this a really useful feature (even with its limitations) so if this was retained they'd be more likely to keep me as a customer.

ASharpe

Slightly off-topic: do we know if the new EC website will keep the ability to choose a specific seat? I find this a really useful feature (even with its limitations) so if this was retained they'd be more likely to keep me as a customer.

I had't thought of that. I hope so, I don't remember the last time I sat anywhere other than B51 or K5 on a 225. I don't think I'd like to loose that at all. Can ticket offices reserve a certain seat?

dcsprior

I had't thought of that. I hope so, I don't remember the last time I sat anywhere other than B51 or K5 on a 225. I don't think I'd like to loose that at all. Can ticket offices reserve a certain seat?
L55 or L57 for me - that way, if one type of train is substituted for the other (excl the ex-EMT one) my seat still exists and is still the same type.

I believe ticket offices can reserve a specific seat, but many won't be able to get to one as soon as advance tickets are released.

Stats

This is what Stagecoach said in their press release
New booking tool launched to make it easier for customers to book the best value tickets and find the perfect seat to meet their needs

CallySleeper

Established Member
I believe ticket offices can reserve a specific seat, but many won't be able to get to one as soon as advance tickets are released.

I thought they could, though I tried this for a couple of East Coast trains recently and the ticket office system behaved as if all the seats were reserved.

Statto95

I tend to use the FirstGreatWestern site, I get Necter points that way which I can use for saving on food... :)

Searle

Established Member
I'll probably just stick with Virgin East Coast; Nectar points aren't completely useless as everyone makes them out to be :roll: plus I like the idea of starting to get Virgin Atlantic points!

Statto95

I'll probably just stick with Virgin East Coast; Nectar points aren't completely useless as everyone makes them out to be :roll: plus I like the idea of starting to get Virgin Atlantic points!

As a student anything off my food bill is nice!! And when I have to make trips for my course or work it is rather nice to get the added bonus of some money back

dcsprior

I'll continue to book journeys on EC through their own website, regardless of how disappointed I am by their new rewards scheme being worth a fraction of the old, because I value the ability to choose my own seat - the thing that annoys me is that I get the feeling they know that people will book with them because of the unique seat booking functionality; and that they can therefore downgrade their rewards offer without suffering commercially.

The other tickets I can remember buying within the past couple of years are:
  • GatEx tickets - I'll continue to buy carnet tickets, for which the only option is buying in person at the station.
  • Caledonian sleeper tickets - I'll book with the new sleeper operator
  • Travel within Oyster Zones - I'll mainly continue to pay by Oyster; if I forget/lose it I'll use my contactless card

For any other non-advance ticket, it'll be Southern, for the hassle-free refunds if my plans change.

TBH, I can't remember the last time I bought an advance ticket with a TOC other than EC or the sleeper.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But if VTEC switch to a Trainline based booking engine (like the other Virgin and Stagecoach sites) then I doubt you'll be able to choose a specific seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.