• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will the next strike days be announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

I am looking at taking the wife to Edinburgh by LNER later in the month but I have been deterred from booking my hotel and train tickets because of the on going rail strikes.
What is the earliest date in January strikes could be called following the January 7th stoppage?
TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
The minimum is 14 days notice, it doesn't matter when other action is taking place.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I am looking at taking the wife to Edinburgh by LNER later in the month but I have been deterred from booking my hotel and train tickets because of the on going rail strikes.
What is the earliest date in January strikes could be called following the January 7th stoppage?
TIA
The unions need to give the companies 14 days notice. So if that was given today the earliest would be the 15th.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The unions need to give the companies 14 days notice. So if that was given today the earliest would be the 15th.
In practice, given four days of RMT action this upcoming week and one day of ASLEF action, further strikes are unlikely in the current four-weekly pay period, whenever that ends.

gazzaa2

I wouldn't expect any until the end of the month at least.

I think the RMT have gone heavy on strikes around Christmas period as a last throw of the dice hoping to bring a resolution but the government haven't blinked. Jan-Feb are the quietest months on the trains generally.

Striking a day here or a week there is looking pointless now going into 2023. The government are happy to ride it out and see it as a war of attrition with Mick Lynch who has become a nemesis for them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm booked to travel 3rd-4th Feb and am hoping that will be ok. I have overnight accommodation booked so the trip can still go ahead if a strike happens.

I am thinking after those dates it becomes increasingly likely that we will get into the next set of strikes though.

Remember if strikes do occur you can obtain a full refund. Just make sure anything else you book is fully refundable (or changeable).

Last edited:
We've not heard anything yet. There's a lot of discontent over money lost recently and two weeks of work to rule means not offsetting the losses

Matt_pool

Book your hotel through booking.com and select options with free cancellation. Then, in the very likely event that your train will be cancelled, you can cancel your hotel without losing any money.

trainophile

Established Member
Travelodge is only a couple of quid a night extra to book the cancellable option rather than non-refundable. Cancellable up to 12:00 noon on day of arrival. That's what I'm doing so far this year.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
In practice, given four days of RMT action this upcoming week and one day of ASLEF action, further strikes are unlikely in the current four-weekly pay period, whenever that ends.
Each company has a different four week pay period. They aren't all in sync. Even GTR has different pay days for staff on Thameslink and Southern contracts

Bungle73

On Moderation
Remember if strikes do occur you can obtain a full refund. Just make sure anything else you book is fully refundable (or changeable).
When are you eligible to do that though? When a strike is announced or do you have to wait until the day? And what happens if you're away for a few days and one journey is a strike day and one isn't? Makes the whole thing a non-starter as far as I can see.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When are you eligible to do that though? When a strike is announced or do you have to wait until the day? And what happens if you're away for a few days and one journey is a strike day and one isn't? Makes the whole thing a non-starter as far as I can see.
Book it as a return journey; you are automatically entitled to a refund as soon as any of the trains in the itinerary are cancelled.

I have had no issue cancelling tickets through Trainsplit when this has occurred.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just ensure you only book accommodation which has free cancellation within 2 weeks (so excluding a couple of places I've seen on Booking .com which only gives you free cancellation over 28 days), even if that means paying extra.

Or at the very least book somewhere which will allow you to change the dates without paying an admin charge, i.e Premier Inn.

High Dyke

Established Member
It depends whether strike action is with Network Rail or a TOC. As already mentioned it will be at least 14-days from the next announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.