• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where are "overnights" still possible on the UK railway (NOT Night Riviera or Caledonia Sleeper).

KnobbyGB

I'm doing another 8-day Interrail in the UK later in the year and I'm keen to see if it's possible to do like we did in the old-days - I mean spending a full week out on the rails on an "all liner" without any overnight accommodation. OK, I probably won't do that for the WHOLE 8 days, but I'd like to try it for a few nights, at least, just for old-times sake.

So, ignoring the sleepers (I'll do them once each, maybe), where else can I travel without having to sit on a station for more than an hour or so overnight? So far I've found these:

Thameslink "overnight" services between Brighton and Bedford. Leaving Brighton at 00:02 - Bedford 02:59 then returning on the same train, Bedford 03:15 - Brighton 06:10. NOT fun. No doss for sure. I'll be on a First Class ticket but Thameslink First leaves a lot to be desired. And would it even be SAFE to fall asleep on that?

Manchester Airport. There are several overnight TPE services such as: Manchester Airport 22:44 - York 01:17 then York 01:38 - Manchester Airport 04:19. After a coffee in the terminal, the first service out of the airport is then the 05:25 to Llandudno. The same can be done in the opposite direction. At least TPE first class is quite nice.

Another is the last train out of London KX to Newcastle and then back. London KX 22:00 - Newcastle 01:53 then 04:23 to Liverpool or 04:45 back to that London. That's still over 2.5hrs in Newcastle though. I wouldn't have batted an eyelid back when I was 14! NICE first class on LNER though. It would work if there was maybe some 24hr cafe near the station. Are there any stations that have a 24hr McDonalds right next to them?

I'm sure there are other options. Any ideas or recommendations? Oh for the old days of Summer Friday night/Saturday loco hauled holiday trains with comfy de-classified Mk.1 compos!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Swansea: 0241 arrival from London, 0346 first train back.

Cardiff: 0135 from London, 0435 first train to Manchester - station emptied and locked until 0400 though.

Last edited:

Ayman Ilham

Thameslink "overnight" services between Brighton and Bedford. Leaving Brighton at 00:02 - Bedford 02:59 then returning on the same train, Bedford 03:15 - Brighton 06:10. NOT fun. No doss for sure. I'll be on a First Class ticket but Thameslink First leaves a lot to be desired. And would it even be SAFE to fall asleep on that?
In case you didn't know, the first class section at the back (relative to direction of travel) is declassified on all Thameslink trains. Thus, a first class ticket won't be necessary for this. Personally, I found the first class section reasonably comfortable, although it's pretty much what standard class should've been. In which case, this is actually not a bad idea given the timings are almost perfect. I presume you could stay on the train when it turn back at Bedford?

Manchester Airport. There are several overnight TPE services such as: Manchester Airport 22:44 - York 01:17 then York 01:38 - Manchester Airport 04:19. After a coffee in the terminal, the first service out of the airport is then the 05:25 to Llandudno. The same can be done in the opposite direction. At least TPE first class is quite nice.
This sounds even better, although probably not necessary for me, given its relatively close to home already. Still, could be an option if I were travelling so far (either West Wales or Cornwall) that I could only make it back as far as Manchester without being able to make the last train to Blackburn.

Another is the last train out of London KX to Newcastle and then back. London KX 22:00 - Newcastle 01:53 then 04:23 to Liverpool or 04:45 back to that London. That's still over 2.5hrs in Newcastle though. I wouldn't have batted an eyelid back when I was 14! NICE first class on LNER though. It would work if there was maybe some 24hr cafe near the station. Are there any stations that have a 24hr McDonalds right next to them?
Would have to check Google Maps for that but in general, 24hr facilities are so much easier to find in London, including many night buses to help you get to other parts of the city. King's Cross has a 24hr McDonalds next door for example, and you'll find a 24hr Starbucks in both St Pancras International and Victoria Coach Station. Thus, you'll want such a service that finishes in London and I know just the service: the 18:52 Avanti service from Edinburgh to London Euston arriving at 01:17. Thereafter, plenty of options and just £1.55 to tap your contactless to board a bus to get to another station.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
God you are so right. Those were great days. My first all line rover I got the 00.08 Royal Highlander off Preston and got off at Inverness where there is/was a shower and breakfast facilities. I miss them.

Ending in a London Terminal is a great suggestion.

zero

There used to be a TPE arriving Glasgow around 0030 and there is a Avanti (Virgin at the time) departure at 0426, I met some interesting characters in the 24h McDonalds including an elderly lady who told me she worked an overnight shift all her life and saw no reason to change after retirement.

The Beckenham Junction - New Beckenham PSUL involved going to Tonbridge on the last train arriving 0115 and departing on the 0445, there was absolutely nothing to do there but I did choose a night when it was warm enough to walk around, ended up sitting in a park.

Another option would be going to Reading and back several times

Krokodil

Established Member
Holyhead - less than two hours between last train (02:23) and first train (04:21) and the ferry terminal is open for warmth.

KnobbyGB

Thanks for the suggestions and quick replies!
Swansea: 0241 arrival from London, 0346 first train back.
That sounds good actually - at least a good long run out from London
In case you didn't know, the first class section at the back (relative to direction of travel) is declassified on all Thameslink trains. Thus, a first class ticket won't be necessary for this. Personally, I found the first class section reasonably comfortable, although it's pretty much what standard class should've been. In which case, this is actually not a bad idea given the timings are almost perfect. I presume you could stay on the train when it turn back at Bedford?

This sounds even better, although probably not necessary for me, given its relatively close to home already. Still, could be an option if I were travelling so far (either West Wales or Cornwall) that I could only make it back as far as Manchester without being able to make the last train to Blackburn.

Would have to check Google Maps for that but in general, 24hr facilities are so much easier to find in London, including many night buses to help you get to other parts of the city. King's Cross has a 24hr McDonalds next door for example, and you'll find a 24hr Starbucks in both St Pancras International and Victoria Coach Station. Thus, you'll want such a service that finishes in London and I know just the service: the 18:52 Avanti service from Edinburgh to London Euston arriving at 01:17. Thereafter, plenty of options and just £1.55 to tap your contactless to board a bus to get to another station.
I won't "need" first class but I'll have it anyway so it's a bonus. Yeah - KX McDonalds. Been in there (daytime only), didn't realise it's 24hrs. There are some quite early trains to catch (05:48 Edinburgh) or the 05:21 Euston-Glasgow. Also various fill-in moves (KX-Peterborough, Euston-Milton Keynes).
Holyhead - less than two hours between last train (02:23) and first train (04:21) and the ferry terminal is open for warmth.
Saw that. Sounds interesting. Two hours, but there are actually a couple of ferries leaving in that time (according to Real Time Trains) - I didn't know it included those.

I also found this: Kings Cross 23:33 - Leeds 02:34, Leeds 03:20 - Manchester Pic 04:56 then Manchester 05:05 back down to Euston.

The ONE reply I expected and haven't received though is "You're a 55y/o bloke not a 15y/o and there are no 'real' trains any more. Grow UP and get a room."

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Manchester 05:05 back down to Euston.
Not possible to use that one through to London on a weekday though, so you could only do that on a Saturday morning. You would need to change at Rugby onto a LNR train.

The All Line Rail Rover is NOT valid for boarding or alighting train services operated by Avanti West Coast, CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, or LNER before 10:00 Mondays to Fridays at the following stations:

Birmingham New Street
Bedford
London Euston
London Kings Cross
London St Pancras International
Luton
Luton Airport Parkway
Milton Keynes Central
Stevenage
Watford Junction

No restrictions apply on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

jfollows

Established Member
Not possible to use that one through to London on a weekday though, so you could only do that on a Saturday morning. You would need to change at Rugby onto a LNR train.
I don’t think the plan is to use an all-line rover here.

Magdalia

Established Member
A similar option is 0136 Kings Cross-Peterborough for 0323 back arriving Kings Cross 0454. Possibly less unsafe for sleeping, I'm told that a lot of the passengers are railway staff.

But beware of variations for overnight engineering works on trains like these. Moves that are booked the same train back don't always happen that way.

aar0

That sounds good actually - at least a good long run out from London
There is a 24hr McDonald’s a short walk from Swansea station but after midnight they don’t allow you to sit in. Depending on the night you go you could probably lose an hour getting deafened in a club! The Wetherspoons on Wind Street goes to at least 2am on Friday nights. Marina Tesco (15 mins walk) has a coffee machine and is 24hrs

Dave W

Naturally this is anecdotal but I've used the Brighton-Hertfordshire Thameslink axis extensively and at all times of day. I have never had an issue with safety, and like others have said I sit in declassified first at the back, on the single seat next to the cab door.

I'm sure it might get lairy but at that time of night I doubt there'd be more than 10 people on the train if it's midweek. Weekends are different...

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
As for the Newcastle option mentioned by the OP...

Best bet is to probably have a stroll down to the Quayside and enjoy some peace on the Millennium Bridge. Won't be much happening in the City Centre (other than a 24hr McDonald's which is takeaway only at night) but I've never had a problem walking through it.

I *think* the station opens again around 04:00. You definitely can't stay in it overnight.

1D53

Established Member
I also found this: Kings Cross 23:33 - Leeds 02:34, Leeds 03:20 - Manchester Pic 04:56 then Manchester 05:05 back down to Euston.
There is a 0224 to Manchester too which you'd be unlucky to miss. The 2333 generally gets to Leeds about 20-30+ early unless something has gone wrong enroute.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
This would get you a lot of miles done all before breakfast.
Manchester Airport 23.27 - Holyhead 02.15
Holyhead 04.21 - 09.19 Cardiff

greyman42

Established Member
2300 Kings Cross to York, arrives around 0130 and the same train back to Kings Cross at 0440. York station is open 24/7 so you can stay in the station or have a walk into York. The waiting rooms at York are usually warm.

mangyiscute

Established Member
I can add that the early morning Reading services I have found to be completely fine, I have often taken the 03:54 service from Reading to London (04:13 on a Saturday) and never had or seen any trouble at all, and similarly on late night services to Reading.
There's also a half 4 service from Reading to Gatwick which you could connect onto from the 03:34 from Paddington, could be something decent to do if you take one of those late trains into London the previous evening.

I'm doing another 8-day Interrail in the UK later in the year and I'm keen to see if it's possible to do like we did in the old-days - I mean spending a full week out on the rails on an "all liner" without any overnight accommodation. OK, I probably won't do that for the WHOLE 8 days, but I'd like to try it for a few nights, at least, just for old-times sake.

So, ignoring the sleepers (I'll do them once each, maybe), where else can I travel without having to sit on a station for more than an hour or so overnight? So far I've found these:

I'm sure there are other options. Any ideas or recommendations? Oh for the old days of Summer Friday night/Saturday loco hauled holiday trains with comfy de-classified Mk.1 compos!
Did so many overnights at Man Airport in the past (15 - 20 years ago) usually arriving on the 0044 ex Crewe and leaving on whatever TP I needed.
Used to go over to Terminals and doss there. Comfy seats and facilities 24/7. No one ever bothered me.
Don't think you can do that now as theyv'e changed the layout
Happy (nights)!

paul1609

Established Member
If you need a station to stay in overnight Gatwick Airports a good one theres usually loads of people in the south terminal waiting for early flights. Its warm and security is good. I had to sleep there loads of times when Ive been stranded by late running trains from the north.

dvboy

Established Member
If you need a station to stay in overnight Gatwick Airports a good one theres usually loads of people in the south terminal waiting for early flights. Its warm and security is good. I had to sleep there loads of times when Ive been stranded by late running trains from the north.
If you're at an airport you can also use all the landside facilities, no need to stay in the station.

Dave W

If you're at an airport you can also use all the landside facilities, no need to stay in the station.
I think that's what @paul1609 meant. Certainly when I've arrived late landside of south terminal is like a community centre after a local evacuation! Why stay on the draughty rail station!

Surprised by how much shuts in Gatwick although I suspect you'd find something open.

stadler

Regarding the overnight Brighton to Bedford to Brighton it is normally two seperate trains. Normally the Northbound arrival at Bedford at 02:59 heads off to the depot after arriving while the Southbound departure at Bedford at 03:15 comes in straight from the depot. So it is normally two seperate trains. Unfortunately this means that it is not possible to stay on the same train for both trips.

Oscar46016

The ONE reply I expected and haven't received though is "You're a 55y/o bloke not a 15y/o and there are no 'real' trains any more. Grow UP and get a room."

I'm a 60 year bloke and am planning on doing this as well ( when it's warmer ).

I also plan to do the Scottish Sleeper to FW, unit to Mallaig, boat to Skye, bus to Lylelekin over the bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh then another unto to Inverness - just for the fun of it and the fact the first I did it was in 1981!

paul1609

Established Member
I'm a 60 year bloke and am planning on doing this as well ( when it's warmer ).

I also plan to do the Scottish Sleeper to FW, unit to Mallaig, boat to Skye, bus to Lylelekin over the bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh then another unto to Inverness - just for the fun of it and the fact the first I did it was in 1981!
Personally these days Id always go from Armadale to Portree stay at least a night there, then back to kyle Of Lochalsh train back to inverness. It seems a shame to spend all that money going that distance and missing out some of the most spectacular scenary in the UK (Broadford to Slicaghan Bridge). The £40 overnight Megabus ticket from London to Portree is also on my bucket list to do!

Krokodil

Established Member
You could always opt for the Jacobite to Mallaig, WCRC were helpful when my sleeper was diverted and I arrived at Fort William an hour after the train had left. The afternoon guard just found me a space on his train.

Subject to CDL being sorted of course.

Oscar46016

You could always opt for the Jacobite to Mallaig, WCRC were helpful when my sleeper was diverted and I arrived at Fort William an hour after the train had left. The afternoon guard just found me a space on his train.

Subject to CDL being sorted of course.
Thats a great idea - the only issue is the Jacobite only does returns I thought?

Oscar46016

Also thinking about the All Line - what do people think are good ideas for a day which a bit bleak?

1. Scotrail HSTs
2. Manchester - Cardiff - Manchester on 67
3. Brum - Marylebone 68 and then possibly some 91 action out of the cross
4. Far north line - 320 miles on a 158!

mangyiscute

Established Member
Also thinking about the All Line - what do people think are good ideas for a day which a bit bleak?

1. Scotrail HSTs
2. Manchester - Cardiff - Manchester on 67
3. Brum - Marylebone 68 and then possibly some 91 action out of the cross
4. Far north line - 320 miles on a 158!
For me, I'd try to go to a new part of the country which I hadn't explored much and just take the trains around there.
I'm guessing from your suggestions you like loco-hauled services, in which case your list looks pretty good.
The far north line is great, and head out to the harbour at Wick for some nice views and strong winds - gave me a headache from just standing there too long.