• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where are the 73s ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
SMMT data for October is out today - and it has been the ‘busiest’ October for Car Sales since 2018. EV market share is hovering around 16% - this genuinely surprises me as I am seeing far more EV 73s than those with an engine.

TRXsouth

I've seen a reasonable amount, certainly at no less of a rate than I would normally expect for new reg changes(completely anecdotal of course!). I actually saw my first 73 plate in mid August, it was being kept at a dealership ready for the 1st of September as the owner had requested a 73 plate. I wasn't aware that it was possible to register a car "in the future" as it were

The date of a registration number’s activation on the DVLA database starts its liability to vehicle tax.

I took delivery my new car on 1 September. Nine days earlier, as a long existing customer, the dealership offered me a choice of five 73 registration numbers they had been allocated by DVLA. The dealership held on to my chosen one but only activated it with DVLA during the morning of 1 September. After I arrived at the dealership to check the car, including the 73 plates they had produced and fitted, I was then able to call my insurer to transfer my policy from the old to new car, and drove off early afternoon.

Although the dealership had no other 73s on that Friday (but others on the Saturday), I spotted a 73 on a different make of car in a nearby car park, but then saw no others until the Monday and very few during the month. So yes, the 73 seemed rare during September.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Last week my mum took delivery of her new car, a 73-plate Renault Captur. It's a petrol hybrid, so there's another for the "not a true EV" column.

75A

Established Member
Saw my first '73' plate car yesterday, whilst on the Strangford Ferry, probably a tourist over for the New Year.
Don't see many GB plates around here about from a few 'personal' ones.