• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where can I buy a Train...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if there were any web sites/magazines that sell trains, or train parts/sections/cab cutouts etc...?

Steam or Diesel, I'm not picky... :lol:

Unfortuantley my search on google returns 'buy cheap train tickets...!'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

Is this a wind up? Do you know how money much your going to need?

Dai.

Established Member
In answer to your question -

Real Trains,

Leasing company sells old trains - Porterbrook, Angel Trains etc.

That's for real trains that are being taken off the main line, preserved lines sometimes sell trains they can't keep hold of.

Model trains,

Hornby would be the best place.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I think you can buy them of leasing company's.

Anyway I also think there less when there withdrawn the NSERS owns a 4-CIG which cost £25,000 which aint bad.

Get a Class 465 and paint it into NSE livery please!:D
Regards

43021HST

Established Member
Why dont you join a group for a certain loco. I want to join the 125 group but the household autherities are declining me permission.

Oracle

Established Member
Harry Needle Railway Company for shunters. I know some preserved lines have steam and diesels that can be available: I was offered a wreck of a steam industrial once but it had to be sold to a charity for legal reasons.

starrymarkb

Established Member
For things like Thumpers it was pretty much £1 and the unit was yours. However you had to pay for collecting it.

Bittern

Established Member
Thing is, right, if you do buy a real train, where in hell do you store her? How do you keep her safe from vandals? How do you keep her clean? How do you take her out for a run? How do you keep her working properly?

So many questions!

Dai.

Established Member
Thing is, right, if you do buy a real train, where in hell do you store her? How do you keep her safe from vandals? How do you keep her clean? How do you take her out for a run? How do you keep her working properly?

So many questions!

I guess you have to hire a shed off someone and have a driver take it down the line every so often.. clean and maintain it yourself.. and get a mechanic?

Just a very big car! :lol:

Bittern

Established Member
If my train were to go out on the line, I would be at the helm. What I meant was, how to get permission.

ungreat

If my train were to go out on the line, I would be at the helm. What I meant was, how to get permission.

No you wouldn't mate,sorry..only a driver could take it out.Now unless you are a driver,you'd have to sit and watch.Sorry!

A driver mate of mine did actually buy a 37 and keeps it at Barrow Hill,although it ain't track worthy at the moment.Cost him 30 grand if I remember right

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Makes me think of a duck, not sure why..:|

Wasn't even thinking about "design" in terms of the duck bill- that's a proven bit of aerodynamic design on both Spanish and Japanese HS trains- think the big advantage is noise reduction on hitting tunnels? Anyway, no, I was meaning "bad design" as in only one ever built, and in service at much reduced speed for a very short time before being consigned to rot somewhere in favour of Japanese and German designs.

Bayum

Established Member
When looking at trains in Japan and China though... many of the trains they have, have the distinct "beak" nose... And lets see... Who outta Japan and England run the slower trains... ?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
As I said, a "beak" or "duck bill" design has definite advantages. A train that is mechanically poor and horrendously unreliable (China Star) does not.

starrymarkb

Established Member
When looking at trains in Japan and China though... many of the trains they have, have the distinct "beak" nose... And lets see... Who outta Japan and England run the slower trains... ?

Neither - AFAIK the Shinkansen's top speed is 300 km/h - Eurostar's top speed is also 300 km/h. (The Domestic Javelins are 225 km/h as a trade off between max speed on HS1 and accelleration from stops on HS1 and on the Lignes Classiques)

The Japanese classic lines are all narrow gauge so will probably be slower then our mostly 100mph classic lines.

theblackwatch

Established Member

So many questions!

If you've no idea how to do it all, I'd say don't bother. Buying rolling stock is easy, all you need to do is hand over a cheque - then the hard work begins. Over the next 20 years, it'll cost you several times that figure and thousands of man hours.

starrymarkb

Established Member
If you are interested in Passenger Transport you could start with buses. You can buy buses second hand for about £20k and run with a few staff.

A lot start out with second hand deckers doing school transport to get a steady income then build from there.

If you are interested in freight, then start out with a truck and sub-con to the big shipping co's. Again build from there.

You'll need patience in both cases. It takes years to build a reputation and grow a business

adc82140

Established Member
I've always fancied the idea of living in an old railway carriage. But the overall costs are probably prohibitive...

- Buy the carriage (probably not that much for an old Mk 1 or Mk 2)
- Find a suitable location to put it (expensive)
- Get planning permission (difficult)
- Get it to the site (expensive)
- Restore it (bottomless pit)

I remember a while ago there was a programme on one of the Discovery chanels about someone who did just this. Sadly can't remember which programe it was though.

Status
Not open for further replies.