• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where do you Sit on a Double Decker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrail158713

Established Member
As the title says, where do you sit on a double decker - upstairs or downstairs?
As a mobile, younger person I feel there is no reason why I can’t sit upstairs so I usually do. If I’m on my own and it’s dark though then I prefer to sit downstairs providing there’s plenty of available seats.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Upstairs almost always unless its a really short trip . Usually rows 3 to 5 on the left for view of road ahead but not right up at the front . Singles have there place but when using busy glasgow services for short journeys can be pain alighting from a busy single .

LiviCrazy

Used to be right at the front of the upstairs.

However, since we got the Enviro 400MMCs in Livingston and their god awful fan noise (my only criticism of them) I prefer the spot just behind the stairs.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If it's a journey that I do regularly, not going far, and know the bus will be lightly loaded, I sit downstairs.

Otherwise, upstairs, front seat preferred.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As the title says, where do you sit on a double decker - upstairs or downstairs?
As a mobile, younger person I feel there is no reason why I can’t sit upstairs so I usually do. If I’m on my own and it’s dark though then I prefer to sit downstairs providing there’s plenty of available seats.

Always upstairs. I only ever stay downstairs if I'm only going a couple of stops in which case I will mostly stand.

Preference is for the front seat. If not available (as a double seat, I don't sit next to someone just to sit at the front) then somewhere near the back. On some buses the seat behind the stairs has extra legroom, in which case that.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
When travelling to work each day, I tend to choose a seat in the middle of the top deck on the left hand side. My usual bus to work unfortunately has lots of schoolkids sitting at the front and rear, so the middle is where most of the normal people sit. :lol:

Any other time (including travelling home from work) I go for the front lefthand seat. I travel downstairs if I'm only going a few stops.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One slight rider on my answer - in the days of high floor deckers which tended to have a side-facing seat over the front wheel, I used to sit there due to the infinite legroom. The single-seat equivalents on modern kit tend to be quite narrow with luggage pen bars pushing against them so uncomfortable.

higthomas

Top, front, left if possible.
Otherwise top, front right; top behind stairs or general top. I sometimes go downstairs anywhere if not going far or it's an emptyish bus on a route I know well.

If I get on early on a bus that will be busy later in the journey I will sit in the middle upstairs. If I get on when it's busy I'll usually just stand. If it's quiet anywhere is fine.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies - very interesting. I prefer the first seat behind the top of the stairs if I can (I don’t know why though). If not then any seat upstairs is fine although I tend to avoid the seats on the right hand side at the front if possible as the legroom is awful.

jon0844

Veteran Member
How about on top of the bus? Best view of all, but a bit chilly.

IMG_20190216_105011.jpg
(image of seagull on the roof of a double decker bus)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
In the days of "proper" big engines, preference was downstairs at the back. These days - er, what's a double-decker? :)

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Not really sure why people are referring to left or right hand side when that depends on which way you are looking (as you get on or once you've sat down).
Why is nobody using nearside/offside ?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Not really sure why people are referring to left or right hand side when that depends on which way you are looking (as you get on or once you've sat down).
Why is nobody using nearside/offside ?
I think it's safe to assume that people are referring to "left" as "nearside"* as this is how it would be if one was facing forward in the bus, which the majority of seats do.

*EDIT - For the avoidance of any further doubt, I am referring to right-hand drive vehicles driving on the left-hand side of the road ;)

Slower Travel

Decker: Top, left, 3rd seat
Single: Whichever seat is immediately before the left rear wheel. The ones above the wheel tend to have obscured views.

I always sit downstairs and towards the front. If it is on a busy rural route with lots of OAPs then i will still sit downstairs but at the back so there is more room for them to sit towards the front which is easier for them. I really can't be bothered to go upstairs on double deckers and if i have bags and shopping on me then it is very inconvenient to go upstairs. Also on certain routes in rough areas you get all the troublesome passengers going upstairs. So i always sit downstairs when i am on a double decker bus.

Kahuna47

Usually upstairs with the stairs in front of me - usually find the legroom is a little better on those seats.

If I'm at work, downstairs front seat usually works best for me - my passengers start to complain otherwise! :)

K

Statto

Established Member
Upstairs, preferably front seat left side, unless there's a raised panel on the floor on that side, which is the case on some Enviro 400s & Omicity's, which i find annoying, as being tall, i then have to put my foot in an awkward position which aches after a whilst or, sit normally with my left leg raised a bit, then end up with cramp.

Mostly the Northern Counties Palatines, i sat upstairs front seat on the drivers side by choice[especially on the Merseybus/Arriva Cross River Palatines], as there was plenty of legroom on the front seats that side.

175mph

On Moderation
Top front, left. That can be nearly impossible on many Hull city routes though.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Depends if I'm driving it or not lol.

Serious answer I prefer to sit upstairs when a passenger.

PeterC

Established Member
Upstairs at a table if one is free as I usually have a coffee with me.

(The only double decker I use regularly is for the Oxford Park and Ride)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
In the days of "proper" big engines, preference was downstairs at the back. These days - er, what's a double-decker? :)

I have the Enviro500s on my local route, downstairs at the back is a must... Those things make a bloody glorious sound!

Sometimes though when you get a more tuneful example sitting in the middle is better!

Pretty much the closest "modern" thing (in terms of sound) to the old Grampian E Reg Olympians.

Upstairs, above the driver cab if available is my go to seat. One exception is the Stagecoach Enviro 400MMC for the 685 to Carlisle as it doesn’t have a headrest so I prefer the left on that

F Great Eastern

Established Member
For me it really depends on the season and the internal configuration of the bus - I know that's a boring answer but it's true, certain position seats on one bus are not the same as the same seat position on another for legroom and comfort etc and then you have some vehicles with straight stairs and some with curved and different seating layouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.