• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where have you been in the world?

Where have you been?

• Europe beyond the UK

Votes: 162 97.6%
  • Africa

Votes: 63 38.0%
  • North or Central America

Votes: 111 66.9%
  • South America

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • Asia

Votes: 90 54.2%
  • Oceania

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • Antarctica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not bey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not beyond the UK

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
"Asia" is a bit of a wide area, couldn't you break it down a bit more? Say, Middle East, South Asia, East and North Asia, South East Asia?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Perhaps 'None of these' or 'Never travelled outside the UK' should be an additional option for anyone who hasn't actually ever travelled outwith the UK?

Obviously multiple votes shouldn't then be allowed.

gg1

Established Member
Inspired by my London thread, which parts of the world have you been (assuming you are UK based, and you can tick more than one box).
Could you add a "never travelled outside the UK" option? It'd be interesting to see if there are many people who fall into that category.

TheSmiths82

I don't like flying and I am not very rich, so I have never been outside of Europe. When I travel I am limited to time and money so Spain is the furthest I have been. I have however travelled extensively within Europe and the UK.

dgl

Established Member
Furthest, Italy in the 90's where we did a couple? of coach trips fro the hotel in Lido Di Jesolo and a couple of trips to Venice including a trip to the islands also the only time I'e been on a jet plane the few other trips abroad either being done by car (crossing to France either by ferry or Le Shuttle) or the last trip to Disneyland which was via Paris using Eurostar.

Strathclyder

Established Member
County Galway in Ireland and Tampa/Clearwater in Florida, both on family holidays in the late 2000s. Haven't been anywhere else in Europe or North/Central America. Have travelled extensively within the UK itself though and have holidayed in other parts of Scotland (the West Highlands and North East primarily), Wales (Anglesey) and various parts of England (Norfolk, Northhumberland & Devon most frequently) multiple times over the years.

cb a1

I feel a bit of a fraud in ticking Asia, but I have been to the part of Turkey which is classed as Asia.

Sorcerer

Ticked Europe, North America and Asia (more specifically the Middle East). Not been to as many places as I'd have liked to have travelled, but I suppose three out of seven continents isn't bad for a young lad at my age and of a working class background.

Trackman

Established Member
I went to Africa when I was 3 weeks old, don't think it would be allowed these days! (or could it be?)

alex397

Established Member
I’ve been lucky to visit most European countries in recent years. I’ve been outside of Europe once, to visit South Africa for two weeks when I was a teenager. That was certainly an adventure!

Acfb

Been to most countries in Western Europe except Belgium, Luxembourg, Iceland, Norway and Finland. Mainly been to Germany, Austria and Italy the most often.

I haven't been to Africa or South America (or Antarctica) at all although I almost went to Colombia in 2016. I will probably go to São Paulo in 2026 though. Morocco, Egypt and South Africa are the only countries in Africa I've seriously considered.

I've mainly been long haul as an adult to Hong Kong and Japan. Also have been to India once and did the golden triangle.

Been to Canada (Alberta) in 2015, otherwise haven't been to the US since 1993.

I've also been to Australia as a baby.

Thirteen

I've been to the United States a few times with New York being the most visited followed by Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago.

Canada wise, I've been to Toronto.

Australia wise, I've visited Sydney and other places in NSW as I've got family there and Melbourne which I visited when my sister on a gap year.

Europe wise, I've only been to Berlin, Dresden, Barcelona and Rome, need to visit France to tick it off.

South East Asia wise, only been to Malaysia and Singapore but plan to go to Japan and China in the future.

Within the UK plus Ireland, I've been to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Belfast, Armagh, Dublin, Eastbourne, Margate, Brighton, Cambridge, Oxford, Somerset and Devon. I really want to go to Wales but train prices are not cheap.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Within Europe I have been to France, Spain (including some islands) Portugal, Italy (including Sicily), Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium and Norway.

Been on railways in all of them too, even caught the train to most of them from the UK (only Norway, Spain and France not travelled to be train from UK, and Norway we are doing by train shortly).

Never felt the urge to go further although had the US booked for 2020 which was obviously abandoned and we never rebooked it. Possibly might still go one day.

TheBigD

Established Member
All 6 continents except Antarctica.
46 different countries in total.
Will be 47 in 7 weeks.
Able to say that I have flown around the world after finally flying over the Pacific last year.

brad465

Established Member
India is the farthest I've been, on a 2 week Uni fieldtrip in 2016. Otherwise it's Europe, particularly Spanish islands for cycling.

All 6 continents except Antarctica.
One of my colleagues went to Antarctica for his 50th birthday over a year ago, covering the peninsula after visiting parts of Argentina on the way.

Scotrail12

Scotland (home country), England, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Norway, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Canada, Bermuda, St Maarten, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Belgium, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Jamaica, Mexico, Wales, Austria, Germany, Bahamas, St Thomas (USVI), St Kitts, Netherlands, Honduras, Czech Republic, Northern Ireland, Curaçao, Aruba.

Furthest I've went is San Francisco (around 5000 miles away). Obviously done Europe, North America, unsure whether Egypt/Turkey counts as Asia or if Curaçao/Aruba counts as South America, though my time there 2 weeks ago is definitely the furthest south I've been.

Australia is the big one on my bucket list but I just don't know I could handle the flight. I've flown to Miami 3 times in just over a year and that kills me.

londonbridge

Established Member
Europe I’ve been to France, Belgium, Germany and Austria. US I’ve been to eleven of the fifty states (specifically: Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, Massachusetts, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas)

Thirteen

Scotland (home country), England, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Norway, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Canada, Bermuda, St Maarten, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Belgium, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Jamaica, Mexico, Wales, Austria, Germany, Bahamas, St Thomas (USVI), St Kitts, Netherlands, Honduras, Czech Republic, Northern Ireland, Curaçao, Aruba.

Furthest I've went is San Francisco (around 5000 miles away). Obviously done Europe, North America, unsure whether Egypt/Turkey counts as Asia or if Curaçao/Aruba counts as South America, though my time there 2 weeks ago is definitely the furthest south I've been.

Australia is the big one on my bucket list but I just don't know I could handle the flight. I've flown to Miami 3 times in just over a year and that kills me.
I've done the flight to Australia and back twice and the stopover is the best thing about it.

gg1

Established Member
Somewhat less than many others, outside the UK just France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Czechia and RoI. Within the UK I've lived in both England and Wales, visited Scotland 10-15 times and NI twice.

The major reason we rarely travel outside the UK and Ireland is travel insurance costs, my partner has a number of pre existing health issues including a rare congenital heart condition, as a result mainstream insurers won't touch us. We'll be leaving Europe for the first time this summer to visit the US, insurance for a 18 day trip is £1,900.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Going by the most commonly accepted list of 197 countries (that is the 195 UN member/observer states plus Taiwan and Kosovo) I have been to 47 countries, across 6 continents. Trips planned this year will increase that to 60. I don't count in my total the UAE and Bahrain where I have changed planes but not left the airport. I do count China as one although I have never been to Mainland China, only Hong Kong and Macau. After this year there will still be 15 countries in Europe I have yet to visit.

If you go by the other accepted number of 253 (that is the 197 above, plus 55 dependencies, plus Antarctica), I have been to 52.

Jamiescott1

Uk, Ireland, Iceland, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Malta, estonia, latvia, Croatia, Slovakia, hungry, Poland, bosnia, montenegro, Austria, Greece, Turkey, Morocco, Monaco, Cyprus as short hall destinations.

Lived in both USA and Canada

RT4038

Established Member
Going by the most commonly accepted list of 197 countries (that is the 195 UN member/observer states plus Taiwan and Kosovo) I have been to 47 countries, across 6 continents. Trips planned this year will increase that to 60. I don't count in my total the UAE and Bahrain where I have changed planes but not left the airport. I do count China as one although I have never been to Mainland China, only Hong Kong and Macau. After this year there will still be 15 countries in Europe I have yet to visit.

If you go by the other accepted number of 253 (that is the 197 above, plus 55 dependencies, plus Antarctica), I have been to 52.
Snap!

UK, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Russia, China, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Tunisia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya*, Seychelles*, Mauritius*, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Lesotho*, USA, Canada, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina (* not ridden on railway in this country) 52 countries

Changed planes/had break at, without leaving airport: Madagascar, Qatar, UAE, Cape Verde
Landed at, but not left aircraft: Democratic Republic of Congo, Cote D'Ivoire