• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where should I visit (Midlands or North West)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangor-toad

I'm over in England for the Easter break with the family and I can fit in one visit to a heritage railway. The question is which one to visit and I'd appreciate some recommendations...

When: Easter weekend (So I'd imagine none will be closed)
Where: It's a bit of a road trip so anywhere between Banbury and Carlisle.

Here are the ones I've seen on a map but don't know much about. Any recommendations or comments would be welcomed.
The Battlefield Line
Elsecar
Ribble Steam Railway
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway
Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway

Ones I'm not interested in on this trip:
Midland Railway - Butterly
Peak Rail - Matlock
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway
Great Central
East Lancashire Railway
(I've visited all of these recently & liked them all but I want to look at something different on this trip)

Any suggestions or recommendations on the ones I've seen, or ones I've missed, would be great.
Thanks,
Mr Toad

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
One more to add to your list Mr Toad, how about the Churnet Valley Line in Staffordshire?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Whilst all your likely ones are good, I would chose Keighley and Worth Valley Railway as there is a lot of character in the whole area with lots for the family in Bronte country!

alexl92

Established Member
I LOVE the Worth Valley line. Things to see include Howarth old town, the loco shed at Oxenhope, the Ingrow Loco and Rail Story museums, Cliffe castle museum and the Bronte Parsonage Museum. There is another place which has a load of taxidemied animals and birds, exhibitions on geology and some local history but I can’t remember where it is now. It’s pretty good tho.

I’d say if you’re there for a day and will be able to make the first or second train, plan to see 2 attractions along the line - maybe one museum and the loco shed or Ingrow museums? The actual journey along the line isn’t long so you should have time to do some stuff. Make sure you check the timetable to make sure they’re do-able though.

Ribble I think is a little more Industrial, Embsay is nice but only 15-20 mins each way and in my opinion (though I know others would disagree) there isn’t enough to make a day of it. The Lakeside railway has amazing scenery but one or two recent posts haven’t been so positive about it as an experience.

Wensleydale would be a longer trip through lovely countryside and there are a lot of attractive small towns within a relatively short drive, but their timetable doesn’t necessarily make for a day out.

What about the North Yorkshire Moors Railway? Long run, engine working hard uphill from Pickering, potential to spend a few hours in Whitby, gorgeous countryside etc.

mushroomchow

Battlefield is a nice little line, and the Battlefield centre is only a short walk from Shenton station if you want to soak up the local history while you're there. Market Bosworth itself is a nice town too.

It's a sleepy line though, and it doesn't always run a steam service, so keep that in mind. If you go expecting an intensive timetable and a full recreation of the "atmosphere" of the past you may be disappointed

AndyY1951

Yes, I'd agree that the Worth Valley is the best of the five you list. The Ribble Steam Railway is the closest to me, but I've not been for a few years now, on my last visit I can honestly say it was the most unfriendly outfit I've been to, and I vowed never to go again!
Andy

xotGD

Established Member
I echo comments that the KWVR is a great option. If time permitted, you could also squeeze in a visit to the Embsay & Bolton Abbey - just up the road.

duffield

Established Member
Another vote for the KWVR. It's great when you arrive by national rail into the modern half of the station and walk over the bridge to the heritage platforms.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Yes, I'd agree that the Worth Valley is the best of the five you list. The Ribble Steam Railway is the closest to me, but I've not been for a few years now, on my last visit I can honestly say it was the most unfriendly outfit I've been to, and I vowed never to go again!
Andy

I am surprised about your comments on the Ribble Steam Railway - i have always found them to be quite pleasant. Perhaps you caught them on a "bad day". However, the steam run is rather short, and unless you go on a gala day, there is usually only one loco working, so it would not be my first choive if you can only visit one line.

Of those listed, the Keighley & Worth Valley is well worth visiting. My alternative choices would be
Severn Valley Railway
Llangollen Railway
Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway (narrow guage steam).
All these are quite long (all over 8 miles) and pass through scenic areas.

This site lists special events days and has links to websites of just about every UK heritage site:-

http://www.heritage-railways.com/events.php?bf=1

reddragon

Established Member
I'm over in England for the Easter break with the family and I can fit in one visit to a heritage railway. The question is which one to visit and I'd appreciate some recommendations...

When: Easter weekend (So I'd imagine none will be closed)
Where: It's a bit of a road trip so anywhere between Banbury and Carlisle.

Any suggestions or recommendations on the ones I've seen, or ones I've missed, would be great.
Thanks,
Mr Toad

The GwSR has its Broadway extension opening Easter weekend and its 30 miles from Banbury in the Cotswolds.

3x 8-coach trains in service, all steam, 15 mile long line with clear views, hourly service, Routemaster bus service in Broadway and a party atmosphere!

Might be a bit crowded though as its the opening event

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
As well as the Keighly, North York & Churnet, plus the others, another interesting and unusual and very industrial one, is the operation at the Scunthorpe steel works, (Frodingham) don't laugh, I have done it twice, steam hauled brake van journey that lasts around two/ four hours. They also run diesels too. Def worth considering and whilst in that area is the short Lincolnshire Wolds railway.

Crawley Ben

As well as the Keighly, North York & Churnet, plus the others, another interesting and unusual and very industrial one, is the operation at the Scunthorpe steel works, (Frodingham) don't laugh, I have done it twice, steam hauled brake van journey that lasts around two/ four hours. They also run diesels too. Def worth considering and whilst in that area is the short Lincolnshire Wolds railway.

Here is a link to the website for the Scunthorpe Steel Works tours that Stevieboy mentioned above

http://www.afrps.co.uk

Cheers

Ben

Chrisyd

I know you stated you were not interested in the East Lancs as you have visited recently, but Easter Weekend Tornado is running on the line and Flying Scotsman is on "static display" in Bury!

Status
Not open for further replies.