• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where were the Clayton Type 1s actually built?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Now I have both the two main books about these locos, but I've never been able to fully grasp one point. Where were the locos actually built?

Was it at Clayton's works in Hatton, or at the International Combustion workshops in Derby? Or was it a mix of both? Were components made at Hatton and the final loco assembly was at IC in Derby?

Any ideas, please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks. Though by the time of construction of the Type 1s, Clayton were part of the same group as International Combustion. The Clayton Cuban "Brush 4s" were assembled at the IC works in Derby and photos show some Clayton Type 1s there too. Hence my question.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Many thanks Grumpy; very interesting. Though from the DTG blurb, I wouldn't have said that the IC works were "near Derby station".

Taunton

Established Member
Were Class 15 locos D8210 to 8243 not also built by Clayton, fitted likewise with Paxman diesels? It was normal for orders to be placed with the mechanical parts builder, who would bring in the diesel engine and electrical gear manufacturers as subcontractors, but with these locos for some reason it was done the other way round, the order was placed with BTH, the electrical gear suppliers, and they subcontracted the loco builders. The first 10 had been built separately, by Yorkshire Engine in Sheffield. This article says the remainder were built at Hatton, and one would think a facility that could do that would handle a follow-on order for similar size locos with some common parts the next year :

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.