• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdd89

Established Member
In terms of viral spread travel is obviously a risk but that applies domestically as much as internationally and as we have seen from Australia trying to limit it doesn’t work unless you can also keep the general case rate to zero by stamping it out when it inevitably leaks; we can’t be zero Covid on foreign variants only. For all intents and purposes the U.K. doesn’t have a border, we are highly connected with mainland Europe.

As for other arguments against travel, they are worth discussing but I resent any attempt to conflate those with arguments about health risks, and attempts to do so lead me to question the motivations of those making the arguments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scarby

This stuff about the environmental costs of air travel is interesting but it is off topic here.

I am still wanting to know why someone who is fully vaccinated shouldn’t be able to travel freely without having to be tested. A quick wave of their vaccination certificate/card should suffice.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Travel abroad shouldn't happen without vaccine passports or a negative test done on the day of arrival and the day of departure

Richard Scott

Established Member
Travel abroad shouldn't happen without vaccine passports or a negative test done on the day of arrival and the day of departure
Good scientific reason why not? Please don't use variants as a reason as it seems every time that one is thrown into ring comes to nothing

Glenn1969

Established Member
We let 20,000 people in from India before they were put on the red list. PHE estimate is at least 125 of them were carrying the virus

kristiang85

Established Member
We let 20,000 people in from India before they were put on the red list. PHE estimate is at least 125 of them were carrying the virus

And? The vaccines are almost certainly effective against it.

Australia has very tough borders yet still infections get through every so often.

Mass vaccination is far more effective for public health and punitive border closure measures.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Australia largely has domestic normality but still has punitive border measures. We should do the same until the rest of the world have vaccinated their populations to the same level as we have and stay home for summer holidays until at least the end of 2023

kristiang85

Established Member
Australia largely has domestic normality but still has punitive border measures. We should do the same until the rest of the world have vaccinated their populations to the same level as we have and stay home for summer holidays until at least the end of 2023

Whole cities being locked down at a days notice due to one or two positive tests is not domestic normality.

Say that to restaurants who have food go to waste, wedding venues dealing with cancellations, family hotels who have suddenly to be empty, etc

Cdd89

Established Member

There is a huge difference between requiring two tests for a round trip (probably proportionate risk reduction for many destinations), and what Australia has in place. You say we should do the former but also the latter?

Richard Scott

Established Member
No, you can do that but don't expect everyone else to. Why do we need to anyway? As per before please provide scientific reasoning for this without talking about variants; as previously stated these have come to nothing. We have vaccines now and that's all we can do so we need normality now before more people lose jobs etc.

Darandio

Established Member
No, you can do that but don't expect everyone else to. Why do we need to anyway? As per before please provide scientific reasoning for this without talking about variants; as previously stated these have come to nothing. We have vaccines now and that's all we can do so we need normality now before more people lose jobs etc.

They won't provide anything. In another thread they are happy to continue restrictions, wear masks and be repeatedly jabbed for another four years. In this thread no holidays abroad until 2023/24. It's trolling, nothing more.

Bantamzen

Established Member
So what would you do about the trade coming across or under the Channel?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Which I see from the BBC Lisbon reporter includes mandatory face masks outdoors (does that include the beach?) and capacity limited restaurants.
There was a Portuguese government spokesperson on R4 yesterday and she laughed off the idea that masks would be needed on a beach.
But I'd expect tighter mask restrictions than in the UK.
There also seem to be tough restrictions on travel to the Champions League final in Porto (no overnight stays, for one).

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
There was a Portuguese government spokesperson on R4 yesterday and she laughed off the idea that masks would be needed on a beach.
But I'd expect tighter mask restrictions than in the UK.
There also seem to be tough restrictions on travel to the Champions League final in Porto (no overnight stays, for one).

Portugal changed their mind. They are allowing UK tourists from tomorrow I believe.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Might buy have bought us some time had we implemented it 12 months ago but given we never fully stopped travel no point now so as long as countries have a prevalence around ours and an ongoing vaccination programme then travel should be permitted. Looking at European data we are weeks off anymore of the European suspots being added at first travel review but come mid June I reckon all these countries will be added.

1621190419233.png

Glenn1969

Established Member
No. I just have an cautious view of how to proceed. One that Mr Johnson should have heeded in 2020 when as an island nation we had the opportunity to keep the virus out and didn't take it

kristiang85

Established Member
No. I just have an cautious view of how to proceed. One that Mr Johnson should have heeded in 2020 when as an island nation we had the opportunity to keep the virus out and didn't take it

We are not an island nation - geographically yes, but in terms of logistics and infrastructure no. It is a completely different situation to the likes of Australia and NZ.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Let me get this straight, you are claiming that the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is an island nation, with no land borders?

kristiang85

Established Member
Let me get this straight, you are claiming that the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is an island nation, with no land borders?

Oh yes, and most importantly in addition to my point above, this.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
When you say cautious what does that exactly mean?

We were told this when the kids when back to school and numerous other times and NOTHING happened, so this is just caution for cautions sake? Pandering to the ill informed at the expense of everyone else? Selfish?

Bantamzen

Established Member
So basically he would have had to shut the borders in mid-December, before it was even known about in the UK? Because it is widely believed that the virus was here at least by 17th or 18th of December (there was a least one possible case before Christmas where I live).

VauxhallandI

Established Member
So basically he would have had to shut the borders in mid-December, before it was even known about in the UK? Because it is widely believed that the virus was here at least by 17th or 18th of December (there was a least one possible case before Christmas where I live).
Indeed and probably even before that. It’s fantasy land stuff it really is.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Indeed and probably even before that. It’s fantasy land stuff it really is.
More than likely. I know of at least one person who developed symptoms on return from China just before Christmas, and by early January there were enough suspected cases in the area for it to be featured on BBC Look North. So slamming the borders would not have stopped the spread, but I guess its just easier to blame other countries. Which is a problem for a country like us as mentioned in previous posts, we kind of rely on goods & services coming into the country, I'm not sure how anyone would expect to be able to turn us into some medieval fortress.

scarby

In one last attempt to get this back on topic, why do people who have been fully vaccinated need to take a test to travel abroad?

In the US they have now dropped face covering recommendations in most settings for people who are fully vaccinated.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Looking at flight radar plenty of planes heading for Portugal from the UK this morning! I was meant to be going in 2 weeks but cancelled in January while I could get money back.

westv

Established Member
We won't be going abroad this year. Hopefully by next year the mask requirements will have been dropped in Europe.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
In one last attempt to get this back on topic, why do people who have been fully vaccinated need to take a test to travel abroad?

In the US they have now dropped face covering recommendations in most settings for people who are fully vaccinated.
Could part of it be to make it look equitable and fair to everyone currently given we still have a fair few people who don't have one dose yet. I would suggest once we get the over 18's done this will be relaxed at least for the green countries.

Mind you the cynical side of me also thinks this is also a way dissuading people from going abroad anyhow by the time they factor in extra cost and aggravation of all these tests.

MikeWM

Established Member
At least as of today it is no longer illegal to try to leave the country! Even with the large and wide-ranging number of exceptions, that requirement was very concerning, to say the least, and hopefully we will never see such a thing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.