• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which depot has the oldest fleet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnjb8

Established Member
This might be off topic but may as well ask, why is it that some buses are withdrawn from other areas but yet still in service elsewhere?

Just an example: Plaxton President and above mentioned the Darts? Is there a reason why that is?

I was going to do a thread but felt what I might be asking maybe stupid.
It just depends on what new stock is coming in to replace them. For instance with Arriva, they used to only invest in new buses for a subsidiary if it made a profit. Although now they've given up with new buses seemingly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
It just depends on what new stock is coming in to replace them. For instance with Arriva, they used to only invest in new buses for a subsidiary if it made a profit. Although now they've given up with new buses seemingly

Just I noticed on Flickr that some Volvo Cadets(?), still going albeit maybe looking refurbished (could be wrong here) still going or like I see the President’s still on the road with Go North East/First Glasgow? Just with Xplore Dundee I noticed how quick they got rid of certain buses to other companies, had thought it was down to DDA?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Just I noticed on Flickr that some Volvo Cadets(?), still going albeit maybe looking refurbished (could be wrong here) still going or like I see the President’s still on the road with Go North East/First Glasgow? Just with Xplore Dundee I noticed how quick they got rid of certain buses to other companies, had thought it was down to DDA?
OT, but are you referring to the Wright Cadet-bodied DAF/VDL SB120s that were sold through Volvo as Volvo Merits after the latter discontinued the B6BLE?

DDA and replacement by new stock certainly factors (less so in the case of DDA nowadays for the most part) into vehicle disposals, but book value/vehicle depreciation, spare parts availibilty, reliability, running costs (fuel consumption, maintenance etc), overall condition (rust/corrosion etc) and whether or not it's a non-standard member in the fleet as a whole also play their part in deciding to retain or sell or dispose of a vehicle.

In regards to First Glasgow Presidents, there are only 7 remaining (6 Volvo B7TLs & one Trident) out of a fleet that once numbered in the hundreds. Were it not for COVID/social distancing, they'd be long-gone as I noted in a eariler post.

Last edited:

kez19

Established Member
OT, but I assume you are referring to the Wright Cadet-bodied DAF/VDL SB120s that were sold through Volvo as Volvo Merits after the latter discontinued the B6BLE?

I'm not sure but I guess so, i'm not up to date regarding bus models etc, but looking through the models you suggested above but yes the B6BLE was one of the models I would be referring too (apologies)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This might be off topic but may as well ask, why is it that some buses are withdrawn from other areas but yet still in service elsewhere?

Just an example: Plaxton President and above mentioned the Darts? Is there a reason why that is?

I suppose one reason for keeping certain types together is availability of parts. It may be more difficult to source new parts for an older vehicle type, so having others nearby means that you can prevent a serviceable bus with a minor ailment being off the road for too long by removing that part from another bus that might have a more serious condition.

kez19

Established Member
I suppose one reason for keeping certain types together is availability of parts. It may be more difficult to source new parts for an older vehicle type, so having others nearby means that you can prevent a serviceable bus with a minor ailment being off the road for too long by removing that part from another bus that might have a more serious condition.

Throwing a spanner here, correct me too would this be the reason of the likes of (just saying a more recent example), that the likes of the Presidents are still on the road in certain areas than being off road/scrapped/passed on to other dealers? (ie Go North East/First). I was under the impression that say certain buses that didn't meet a criteria would have to be off road by a certain time if it was to do with DDA? (I might be using wrong terminology here and if need be correct me if need be :) )

Strathclyder

Established Member
I'm not sure but I guess so, i'm not up to date regarding bus models etc, but looking through the models you suggested above but yes the B6BLE was one of the models I would be referring too (apologies)
No worries; happens to us all. :)

kez19

Established Member
No worries; happens to us all. :)

I know as I say the questions to ask might not be to this topic but wasn't sure (I didn't want to create a thread in case it probably has been discussed before) but felt in my mind it was appropriate to ask here :)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Depends what you mean but if it's something like one OpCo disposing of 55 plate Darts when another is still using 53 plates? Or even the same OpCo?

In reality, when vehicles get to a certain age, the age becomes less of a definite issue especially if they are fully depreciated. It might be that a 53 plate has simply weathered better and has less corrosion underneath so needs minimal work whereas one a year or two older needs a load of work doing OR in the case of major unit failure (engine, gearbox), the cost of repairing anything that is fully depreciated just isn't worth it.

Also, when you get to having quite elderly vehicles, they are generally fairly tired so they're much of a muchness so no point in shunting some 05 plates somewhere to replace 53 plates

kez19

Established Member
Depends what you mean but if it's something like one OpCo disposing of 55 plate Darts when another is still using 53 plates? Or even the same OpCo?

In reality, when vehicles get to a certain age, the age becomes less of a definite issue especially if they are fully depreciated. It might be that a 53 plate has simply weathered better and has less corrosion underneath so needs minimal work whereas one a year or two older needs a load of work doing OR in the case of major unit failure (engine, gearbox), the cost of repairing anything that is fully depreciated just isn't worth it.

Also, when you get to having quite elderly vehicles, they are generally fairly tired so they're much of a muchness so no point in shunting some 05 plates somewhere to replace 53 plates

Regarding the "plates" I could see it from that angle, you would think getting rid of the older vehicles than the newer ones (in a way), I had to google plates as I didn't quite understand but seeing it as ie 55 plates 2005/6 and the older ones be 2003/4. As another example just to highlight how I spot them is sometimes its the back (I always took as the example "optare 2" was refurbished as the backlights were different compared to the older model "optare 1" (just my name to call it)), As in my local area Stagecoach still runs both of these including the updated one(s) but National Express Dundee (at the time going back maybe 6 or 7 years ago disposed of "optare 1"), for me which led me to believe that there was like a compliance for them to be coming off road for scrap or indeed passed on elsewhere.

(credit photographers)

Optare 1

Optare 2

SeveerYeliab

Regarding the "plates" I could see it from that angle, you would think getting rid of the older vehicles than the newer ones (in a way), I had to google plates as I didn't quite understand but seeing it as ie 55 plates 2005/6 and the older ones be 2003/4. As another example just to highlight how I spot them is sometimes its the back (I always took as the example "optare 2" was refurbished as the backlights were different compared to the older model "optare 1" (just my name to call it)), As in my local area Stagecoach still runs both of these including the updated one(s) but National Express Dundee (at the time going back maybe 6 or 7 years ago disposed of "optare 1"), for me which led me to believe that there was like a compliance for them to be coming off road for scrap or indeed passed on elsewhere.

(credit photographers)

Optare 1

Optare 2
Your optare 1 is a Solo and your optare 2 is a solo SR

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The Optare 2 is the updated one?, I forgot to add the other Optare where on the Optare 1 the rear lights look to me as LED lights?
The older vehicles are the 54 plate and 57 plates in Poole - they date from the second half of 2004/2007 respectively and are the original Optare Solo design

The 17 plate is the updated SR version and dates from 2017

kez19

Established Member
The older vehicles are the 54 plate and 57 plates in Poole - they date from the second half of 2004/2007 respectively and are the original Optare Solo design

The 17 plate is the updated SR version and dates from 2017

I’ve seen a few of those up this way with Stagecoach (either it’s Fife, Perth or Strathtay)

I may have called this the "2" instead but I believe the front of the vehicle is similar to the front of optare 1 but its backlights are different (apologies in minor mix up), but as I say I have seen a few of these with Stagecoach, but with NX (Xplore) Dundee they got rid of all Optare buses, but seems to be Stagecoach seems to have a range of them from old to updated models.

Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member
OT, but are you referring to the Wright Cadet-bodied DAF/VDL SB120s that were sold through Volvo as Volvo Merits after the latter discontinued the B6BLE?

DDA and replacement by new stock certainly factors (less so in the case of DDA nowadays for the most part) into vehicle disposals, but book value/vehicle depreciation, spare parts availibilty, reliability, running costs (fuel consumption, maintenance etc) and whether or not it's a non-standard member in the fleet as a whole also play their part in deciding to retain or sell or dispose of a vehicle.

In regards to First Glasgow Presidents, there are only 7 remaining (6 Volvo B7TLs & one Trident) out of a fleet that once numbered in the hundreds. Were it not for COVID/social distancing, they'd be long-gone as I noted in a eariler post.
Our Presidents (EYMS) were meant to go last year but because of Covid/Social distancing there's still around a dozen left.

lakeland844

Stagecoach Cumbria and North Lancashire (CNL )DSC_0251 (2).JPGImage shows Penrith Depot a few days ago - the last of the the excellent 1991 Volvo B10M Alexander PS type are still earning their keep!

Last edited by a moderator:

lakeland844

I've heard the rumours too !
Seat belted MAN and ADL 300 are the likely replacement - no comparison - it will be a sad day when these motors retire - hope they find good homes !

hst43102

What happened to all the School Runner Olympians and Tridents? They seem to have disappeared!

lakeland844

Maybe a couple still running around West Cumbria based at Workington Lilyhall - have'nt seen one at Penrith or Carlisle for 12 months or so

scosutsut

the last of the the excellent 1991 Volvo B10M Alexander PS type are still earning their keep!
They don't make them like that anymore (and I don't mean step entrance!)

Back closer to topic, some First Kernow depots are surely contenders for elderly fleets - given the economics / routes they run?

cnjb8

Established Member
They don't make them like that anymore (and I don't mean step entrance!)

Back closer to topic, some First Kernow depots are surely contenders for elderly fleets - given the economics / routes they run?
FSW including Somerset is a good shout. Fleet age average must be right down with ancient B7TLs replacing the MMCs on loan to SPS

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
FSW including Somerset is a good shout. Fleet age average must be right down with ancient B7TLs replacing the MMCs on loan to SPS
It's a little misleading at the moment.

First Kernow does have a number of elderly vehicles that have been drafted in or were retained when they might ordinarily have been disposed of, mainly 2000-2003 vintage B7TLs and Tridents but have been retained for social distancing/allowing MMCs to work for Somerset Passenger Solutions. Were it not for that, the oldest deckers (aside from the raft of open toppers) would be 54 plate Tridents and B7TLs and a bit newer, and the mmcs will wipe out the majority of the old tat when they return in the summer. Yes, they have some old Darts (about to leave) and Solos but also have newish e200mmc and Solos.

Buses of Somerset has benefited from an upgrading with the old Solos disposed of. Mostly they have e200s and e300s between 2008 to 2012 with a few newer ones and Streetlites. They do have some 2002/3 Tridents but again, some of those have been drafted in for social distancing, and they are due to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.